The Downington Destroyer

Why is Maryland in the Big 10?

Because it helped push the conference (and more importantly the Big 10 Network) into the Baltimore/DC/Virginia market. Same thing Rutgers did with NJ/NYC. It’s all about TV money. 

Personally I'd like to see Maryland eliminated from all conferences and the school be replaced with another more deserving men's wrestling team / school - and one with singlets too. In addition, the wrestlers should be allowed to go to another school - on their dime. Take the funds from the skirt-wearing whimsical men (?) in leadership roles who chose to embarrass themselves on live TV February 16, 2020. I for one will never forget nor forgive them for that.

Accepting Maryland into the Big Ten allowed the conference to force the BTN onto the DC market. I can only assume the DC market is far more lucrative than, say, the Lincoln, NE market. The DC area is also home to a lot of Big Ten grads who enjoy following Big Ten action. 

At any rate, Maryland is solid at basketball and soccer and very good at lacrosse and field hockey. 

4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Take the funds from the skirt-wearing whimsical men (?) in leadership roles who chose to embarrass themselves on live TV February 16, 2020. I for one will never forget nor forgive them for that.

what happened on feb 16?