Sign in to follow this  
10point

MSU

They have a couple interesting guys coming up next year with the return of Foley too. Peyton Omania will be out of Olympic Redshirt and should takeover at 149 and Jordan Crace was a pretty decent recruit coming into the season at 141. I assume they plan on redshirting Daniel Cormier's prodigy, Chase Saldate, as well.

They have come a long way.  I remember a couple years ago we were asking the question on these boards on how far does MSU need to fall before something happens at that school.  Good for them to turn it around.  Now we have those threads about Maryland.

6 minutes ago, BHawk91 said:

They have come a long way.  I remember a couple years ago we were asking the question on these boards on how far does MSU need to fall before something happens at that school.  Good for them to turn it around.  Now we have those threads about Maryland.

Maryland deserves to lose with those hideous uniforms

They may make a push. While Top 4 isn't realistic, a push for top 10 isn't unrealistic.

They had three toons expected to make a jump this year that were hurt. Foley at 125, Enriquez at 141, and Wilton at 197. Add in Beard's disappearance and they were essentially down four starters to start the year(I mention Beard because he made huge strides during the season last year).

A lineup of this wouldn't surprise me to see them surprise folks similar to Purdue this year:

125-Foley

133-Hamdan

141-Enriquez

149-Omania

157-Tucker

165-Hughes

174-Malzcewski

184-Caffey

197-Wilton

285-Rebottaro.

You can't automatically count out the toons who were putting in the work this year in Santos(141), Hrisopoulis(149-141 isn't impossible for him too), May(197).

Then there are the vets who will be looking to have a say in things in Hiles(165), Atienza(149/157/165-saw him at all three), Spiess(133/141), and McRill(184/197-had one of the more successful scholastic careers in recent Michigan HS history).

Throw in Crace(141ish), Jimenez (174-may be looking to making the drop to 165), and Saldate(149/157-he has grown a lot the last 18 months? 165?). If Saldate is good enough regardless of weight class send him out. Crespo and Fish will be adding to their middle depth as well(they'll redshirt at a minimum.

Overall they have a great foundation now. A lot of toons were skeptical on his hire due to being a large part in the previous regime(and it's lack if prowess), however Chandler is doing very well.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

They may make a push. While Top 4 isn't realistic, a push for top 10 isn't unrealistic.

They had three toons expected to make a jump this year that were hurt. Foley at 125, Enriquez at 141, and Wilton at 197. Add in Beard's disappearance and they were essentially down four starters to start the year(I mention Beard because he made huge strides during the season last year).

A lineup of this wouldn't surprise me to see them surprise folks similar to Purdue this year:

125-Foley

133-Hamdan

141-Enriquez

149-Omania

157-Tucker

165-Hughes

174-Malzcewski

184-Caffey

197-Wilton

285-Rebottaro.

You can't automatically count out the toons who were putting in the work this year in Santos(141), Hrisopoulis(149-141 isn't impossible for him too), May(197).

Then there are the vets who will be looking to have a say in things in Hiles(165), Atienza(149/157/165-saw him at all three), Spiess(133/141), and McRill(184/197-had one of the more successful scholastic careers in recent Michigan HS history).

Throw in Crace(141ish), Jimenez (174-may be looking to making the drop to 165), and Saldate(149/157-he has grown a lot the last 18 months? 165?). If Saldate is good enough regardless of weight class send him out. Crespo and Fish will be adding to their middle depth as well(they'll redshirt at a minimum.

Overall they have a great foundation now. A lot of toons were skeptical on his hire due to being a large part in the previous regime(and it's lack if prowess), however Chandler is doing very well.

Will drew Hughes ever develop a shot or atleast the ability to stall and defend on his feet, he’s so good on top but he seems to have regressed in every other area since the year he made the blood round 

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

Will drew Hughes ever develop a shot or atleast the ability to stall and defend on his feet, he’s so good on top but he seems to have regressed in every other area since the year he made the blood round 

At this rate he may be able to win a wrestleoff but would perform worse than others on the team. He hasn't physically developed any more than he was then either. He's not faster or stronger this year than he was true Frosh season and he hasn't improved any aspect of his neutral wrestling. I just hope he doesn't prevent someone who could outperform him when it matters from starting.

10th place at B10's only 5 or so points behind Minnesota and Wisconsin. I think this team overachieved, which is great! 

My lineup is a little different. I don't think Enriquez can make 141 and I think they will bump Tucker, Hughes, Malzcewski, Caffey up. 

McRill is not on the team. 

Look what for next year!

42 minutes ago, Michigan wrestling said:

10th place at B10's only 5 or so points behind Minnesota and Wisconsin. I think this team overachieved, which is great! 

My lineup is a little different. I don't think Enriquez can make 141 and I think they will bump Tucker, Hughes, Malzcewski, Caffey up. 

McRill is not on the team. 

Look what for next year!

Enriquez made 141 this year before shutting it down for the season.

I don't like the bump. Keep Malcewski at 174 and I like it better. I don't think Tucker beats Hiles enough to warrant him moving up and that leaves a hole ar 157 for them, unless Omania is the answer for you?

I want to see H-Ris down at 141 for his senior campaign. That much I know.

I was wondering when someone here would post about the rise of Spartan’s. Purdue is another school that is the climb out of the cellar every year.  This is all good for the Big ten, and yes Maryland will be in MSUs shoes, it takes time when Athletics Departments ignore these sports.  

With the current state of their Athletic Department, this is about as good as it can get for a while.  When they actually had the power and money to do something, they were content to let Minkel flounder at the end of his career.  Even Chris left and, lucky for MSU, Roger was able to get him to come back.

Considering the facilities and the after effects of Nasser, what they have accomplished is damn near COTY worthy.

Great turnaround for MSU but on a slightly different note I find it sad that they finished ahead of illinois considering where the MSU program was a couple years ago. When will the Illini program get it together. Seems like a head coaching change is in order. 

Just now, BTC said:

Great turnaround for MSU but on a slightly different note I find it sad that they finished ahead of illinois considering where the MSU program was a couple years ago. When will the Illini program get it together. Seems like a head coaching change is in order. 

Mark Perry leaving was a KILLER.  They needed to promote him when they had the chance.  But, like MSU, unless you are close to the program you really don't know what the support system is like with the Athletic Department and inevitably the University itself.  When you get the support that PSU, Iowa and tOSU get, it is a ton easier to get things done.

6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Mark Perry leaving was a KILLER.  They needed to promote him when they had the chance.  But, like MSU, unless you are close to the program you really don't know what the support system is like with the Athletic Department and inevitably the University itself.  When you get the support that PSU, Iowa and tOSU get, it is a ton easier to get things done.

Yes Perry leaving was a big blow for them but Mike Poets seems to be a suitable replacement and his plan to focus on in state recruiting( at least from what I hear) seems to be the way to go. I also hear their facilities are pretty lackluster and leave much to be desired. However the common factor in their lack of success seems to be Head coach Jim Heffernan. I'm sure hes a good guy who has the respect of those under him and his colleagues in the A.D. but with him at the helm Illinois has been slightly above mediocre as a team. They have produced a few outstanding(multiple time champ) guys like Imar and Delgado but other than that, the program has seen lackluster results under Heff.

17 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Enriquez made 141 this year before shutting it down for the season.

I don't like the bump. Keep Malcewski at 174 and I like it better. I don't think Tucker beats Hiles enough to warrant him moving up and that leaves a hole ar 157 for them, unless Omania is the answer for you?

I want to see H-Ris down at 141 for his senior campaign. That much I know.

I believe Enriquez shut it down because of the weight. 

I agree I prefer Malczewski and Caffey at 174 and 184, but I know they are struggling to make weight. Malczewski is pretty lean and could add a lot more muscle.  

22 minutes ago, Michigan wrestling said:

I believe Enriquez shut it down because of the weight. 

I agree I prefer Malczewski and Caffey at 174 and 184, but I know they are struggling to make weight. Malczewski is pretty lean and could add a lot more muscle.  

He is lean. His length is one of his strengths, though.

What have you heard of Wilton? He seemed a shell to start the season then I heard he had wrestled injured and hurt himself even more.

So your lineup looks something like this:

125-Foley

133-Hamdan (Speiss?)

141-Crace (Hrisopoulis?)

149-Enriquez (Hrisopoulis?)

157-Omania (Saldate?)

165-Tucker (Hiles?)

174-Hughes (Jimenez?)

184-Malzcewski

197-Caffey

285-Rebottaro (May/Wilton?)

Personally I don't mind that lineup and think the potential definitely is there. That said this lineup screams 25W-15L type season to me at 133, 141, 149, 157, 174, and 285. Even 184, possibly. Even Tucker and Caffey up a weight have unknowns. Would look like around a 0.500 dual record in those weights, which means losing in the B1Gs.

Also if Enriquez was beating H-Ris then they wouldn't have tried to drop him to 141.

A lineup like this makes me happy:

125-Foley

133-Hamdan

141-Hrisopoulis

149-Omania

157-Saldate

165-Tucker

174-Jimenez

184-Malzcewski

197-Caffey

285-WBC(Whoever wins it)

Off notes:

-Foley, Tucker, and Caffey likely start at whatever weight they choose.

-Off chance that Foley goes 133, MSU is likely starting True Frosh Chambal or Lujan. I don't think Hamdan can make 125. This likely moves Hamdan up to 14q to vie for a spot.

-Tucker at 165 means that Hughes goes up. Hiles may go up or down as well.

-Omania may not opt for 149. He has been competing at 67 keggers (146.8) for Greco, though so signs say yes.

-With how Enriquez was handled this year Iij don't think he's beating H-Ris or Omania. If Omania opts for 149 then perhaps we see him at 157.

- Caffey going up means May and Wilton(if healthy?) disperse. Wilton cannot make 184, however May may be able to. Does Wilton just not wrestle anymore or does he go up and try to take out Rebottaro?

-Expect folks to go where they have a chance of starting. That means pretty much most non-starting upper class men, such ad Santos, Hrisopoulis, Hiles, Hughes, A. Malzcewski, Atienza, etc. If Tucker does go up, expect Atienza to gain for the 157lb spot, and dare I say he is likely the starter in that scenario(Hrisopoulis beat him at 149 but 157 is a different animal).

-Speaking of Atienza, does he go the route his brother did at CMU? Focus on being the best wrestler he can be and not cut. Give 174 a shot?

Few mild ramblings. Apologies.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, Michigan wrestling said:

Atienza doesn't have the size of his brother. I see him at 157, then Tucker at 165, Hughes 174, Malczewski 184, Caffey 197. I do see a possibility of Foley going up to 133. Pretty sure Saldate will redshirt. No reason not to, unless he can be an all-american.

Atienza's brother wasn't even big.  When wrestling 197 he was weighing in several pounds under the 184lb limit.  He added size out of necessity and by proxy of not cutting anymore.

I'm not saying he could go to 174 and wrestle well/start, I am saying though that in his time at 165 size was never an issue.

This said, I really don't want Hughes as our starter at 174.  He is small and weak, let alone one dimensional against 165lbers.  174 two years ago was horrendous.  Please don't.  Unless he makes a jump, him being a starter will only bring disappointment as a fan.  That sucks to say being that I was very high on this guy coming out.  He has regressed in neutral and the bottom position, and he is likely the only wrestler on the roster that has gotten worse under Chandler.

Give me Jimenez or even Atienza at 174 and I will be more happy as a fan.  Hell, perhaps incoming freshman Fish or Crespo will grow a bit once they hit the college campus.  Let them go.  Just as a fan?  No thank you. Not any more.  He has gotten worse in every statistical category since his freshman season every year.

23 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Considering the facilities and the after effects of Nasser, what they have accomplished is damn near COTY worthy.

Are MSU's facilities any worse than Wisconsin's?