Sign in to follow this  
treep2000

Updated NCAA Predictions - What we've learned

Alrighty folks, thought I'd get this one started.  After a great weekend of wrestling, what have we learned, and what are the revised picks?

125 - Learned that Spencer Lee is the prohibitive favorite to get his 3rd NCAA Championship.  He's as close to a lock this year that we could have. 

133 - The Big 10's was a barnburner!  Seabass, RBY, Gross, Desanto...  The picture did NOT get clearer in my mind.  Any one of these guys could win it, and of course, they'll be a spoiler of some type (i.e. Phillippi, Tucket, etc.).  My pick, at this moment, is Seabass.

141 - Pletcher and Lee are solidly #1 and #2 (or vice versa).  There will be a few attempting to play spoiler, but I think we'll get to see Round 3 of this great 1-year rivalry.  My pick, as this moment, is Nick Lee.

149 - If Sasso would have any type of offense, AT ALL, he would win 149 hands down.  My pick right now is O'Connor.

157 - Deakin looks huge for 157.  Deakin looks to be the favorite.  Him and Hidlay will have an epic final.  It will be interesting to see how Carr plays into this mix.

165 - The Bull.  Wow!  Denying Joseph once again.  Come NCAA Final Time, I could see some fireworks.  I think Griffith is going to play spoiler in the quarters against someone, and take their semi match to the brink.  In the end, I'm still going with Cenzo this year.

174 - Hall woke up, and wrestled like he cared (for about 4.5 minutes).  Hall in the final against Kemdawg, in round 3 of their one-year rivalry.

184 - With Zahid gone, I'm going all in on Aaron Brooks.  The kid looks great, and is getting better each week it seems.  

197 - Moore.  It's his time, and I believe, that he believes, that he will not be denied.  That belief, compounded by his ability = NCAA champ (over someone other than Darmstadt).

HWT - We learned that Gable is really really really good, and explosive for those few seconds surrounding each takedown.  However, he also paces himself to a point where I could see Parris returning the favor.  I think we learned that Parris will get to a leg, and if he does, he will rinse and repeat.  Calling Parris in the final, denying Gable for the 2nd year in a row.

Thanks for listening, and apologies if this is a duplicate already.

Steveson absolutely outclassed Parris. The only reason it seemed close is the 1 point net for each takedown and subsequent escape. These boys are massive so regardless of the shape they are in, they will gas if they spam shots and attacks. Also given their size a simple mistake means match over. Not you, but there is a ridiculous narrative that Gable is lazy and that he could get a takedown if he wants it but chooses not too. This is blatantly false. Watch his set ups and attacks he is methodical and patient. He forces nothing. You can’t expect a heavy to wrestle like ADS.

Edited by Force118

Seriously. Gable made 5 attempts at takedowns and easily score on 3 of them. 1 was only stopped by the scorers table and the other he might’ve ended up with had it not gone OOB. Parris got to Gables leg a few times but wasn’t ever really that close to scoring until Gable just wisely gave it up right at the end when it didn’t matter. Gable was also close to getting NF with his tilt at one point. Mason better improve a lot really fast.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Alrighty folks, thought I'd get this one started.  After a great weekend of wrestling, what have we learned, and what are the revised picks?

125 - Learned that Spencer Lee is the prohibitive favorite to get his 3rd NCAA Championship.  He's as close to a lock this year that we could have. 

133 - The Big 10's was a barnburner!  Seabass, RBY, Gross, Desanto...  The picture did NOT get clearer in my mind.  Any one of these guys could win it, and of course, they'll be a spoiler of some type (i.e. Phillippi, Tucket, etc.).  My pick, at this moment, is Seabass.

RBY can win, if that 2nd takedown had been called, it generally is in that situation, b10 refs very inconsistent, but sure its an if

141 - Pletcher and Lee are solidly #1 and #2 (or vice versa).  There will be a few attempting to play spoiler, but I think we'll get to see Round 3 of this great 1-year rivalry.  My pick, as this moment, is Nick Lee.

Lee can win

149 - If Sasso would have any type of offense, AT ALL, he would win 149 hands down.  My pick right now is O'Connor.

157 - Deakin looks huge for 157.  Deakin looks to be the favorite.  Him and Hidlay will have an epic final.  It will be interesting to see how Carr plays into this mix.

165 - The Bull.  Wow!  Denying Joseph once again.  Come NCAA Final Time, I could see some fireworks.  I think Griffith is going to play spoiler in the quarters against someone, and take their semi match to the brink.  In the end, I'm still going with Cenzo this year.

Obviously Cenzo can win, think he has done it before and the Bull could slip before the finals - has happened before

174 - Hall woke up, and wrestled like he cared (for about 4.5 minutes).  Hall in the final against Kemdawg, in round 3 of their one-year rivalry.

Hall can obviously win

184 - With Zahid gone, I'm going all in on Aaron Brooks.  The kid looks great, and is getting better each week it seems.  

Brooks can win, not the most likely of the PSU but can

197 - Moore.  It's his time, and I believe, that he believes, that he will not be denied.  That belief, compounded by his ability = NCAA champ (over someone other than Darmstadt).

HWT - We learned that Gable is really really really good, and explosive for those few seconds surrounding each takedown.  However, he also paces himself to a point where I could see Parris returning the favor.  I think we learned that Parris will get to a leg, and if he does, he will rinse and repeat.  Calling Parris in the final, denying Gable for the 2nd year in a row.

Thanks for listening, and apologies if this is a duplicate already.

Cael is excellent at preparing for NCAA, they have 5 guys with very legitimate chance of winning, can all 5 - who knows?  But 5 can and Iowa could end up with only 1, that means very good chance of exiting team race again.  NCAA much different than B10 and the difference is in favor of Penn St.  But also there are a bunch of other teams and wrestlers who come into play and the above seems focused on the b10.  

2 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Updated NCAA Predictions - What we've learned

I've learned I suck at predictions!

meh... we all suck at predictions.  If we were good, we probably wouldn't have the occupations we have, and would be independently wealthy enough to do much different things than spending time on Wrestling Chat forums... 

9 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

meh... we all suck at predictions.  If we were good, we probably wouldn't have the occupations we have, and would be independently wealthy enough to do much different things than spending time on Wrestling Chat forums... 

We have a winner.

The way Steveson handled Parris was one of the biggest surprises to me. I thought he looked way more dominant than the score indicated and I think there’s a very slim chance Parris reverses it. 

11 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I agree I don't think Parris is that far behind. 

Why cant pletcher teach sasso a takedown?

Sasso would have to saw his legs off at the knees to make Pletcher's moves work for him...

15 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

The way Steveson handled Parris was one of the biggest surprises to me. I thought he looked way more dominant than the score indicated and I think there’s a very slim chance Parris reverses it. 

I don't think so and I picked gable.