Sign in to follow this  
MDogg

165 Seeding

In my opinion it’d be a shame if Shane Griffith jumps Marinelli and Cenzo for the #1 seed on account of being undefeated. I’m not saying Griffith hasn’t earned it but I personally would love to see a Cenzo-Marinelli rubber match in the finals. I also don’t think there’s any chance Griffith would’ve gone undefeated on the season if he was in the Big Ten. Does anyone know how the committee usually balances situations like this? I know it’s not that uncommon. 

When it comes to common opponents the only thing that really stands out is Tanner Skidgel...who Cenzo teched and Griffith beat 2-1, but both matches happened very early in the season. 

The 2016 157 bracket is what comes to mind for me. IIRC, IMar and Nolf were 1-1 against each other and Gantt came in undefeated. Think the seeding committee went:

1. IMar (most recent h2h over nolf)

2. Gantt

3. Nolf 

If I had to guess, they’ll go with this for 165:

1. Marinelli 

2. Griffith 

3. Joseph

If Griffith manages to get by both and remain undefeated, I’d say he should be a serious contender for OW of the tournament and the Hodge (although I think Lee and Moore would both have to lose for that to happen). 

6 minutes ago, MDogg said:

In my opinion it’d be a shame if Shane Griffith jumps Marinelli and Cenzo for the #1 seed on account of being undefeated. I’m not saying Griffith hasn’t earned it but I personally would love to see a Cenzo-Marinelli rubber match in the finals. I also don’t think there’s any chance Griffith would’ve gone undefeated on the season if he was in the Big Ten. Does anyone know how the committee usually balances situations like this? I know it’s not that uncommon. 

When it comes to common opponents the only thing that really stands out is Tanner Skidgel...who Cenzo teched and Griffith beat 2-1, but both matches happened very early in the season. 

I'd hate to see him jump those two as well, in the past it seems that an undefeated record has at times earned the number 1 seed, regardless of strength of schedule.  Interesting situation at 133 too with Tucker, who I personally wouldn't think should be the number 1 seed, but could be.

1 minute ago, Schuteandscore said:

I'd hate to see him jump those two as well, in the past it seems that an undefeated record has at times earned the number 1 seed, regardless of strength of schedule.  Interesting situation at 133 too with Tucker, who I personally wouldn't think should be the number 1 seed, but could be.

Based on the seeding formula that exits now Griffith is not going to be #1. 

32 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Skidgel wins most his matches by 1 point.  He keeps control ties and positioning.  His biggest strength is his strength and conditioning.  Not saying he isn’t talented, but he likes upper body takedowns more than actual shots which played to cenzo.  Skidgel has a single digit bonus rate despite his record and rank.  He is good on top in terms of staying on top.  Skidgel goes down by 4 points, he probably isn’t winning that match.  

Griffith will play that game all day.  Like a poker player patiently learning bluffs but waits for the right time to call it.  He can see openings in those “iron stance” people but he knows when he can score a takedown.  Plus he can escape and ride the best of them.  

if Skidgel AAs, I will let every navy fan punch me in the face (not too hard).  

Skidgel and Trybus are probably going to be SEAL candidates.  

1 hour ago, BLT said:

Based on the seeding formula that exits now Griffith is not going to be #1. 

1. Head-to-head competition — 25 percent - no difference
  2. Quality wins — 20 percent - ??
  3. Coaches Ranking — 15 percent - Marinelli
  4. Results against common opponents — 10 percent - no difference?
  5. RPI — 10 percent - Griffith? (he was #1 in last rank - https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2020-02-27/ncaa-reveals-qualifier-allocations-2020-ncaa-di-wrestling
  6. Qualifying event placement — 10 percent - no difference
  7. Win % — 10 percent - Griffith

So basically it will come down to quality wins.  Are we sure Marinelli wins there if anyone in the field is included?

As for 133:

3. Coaches Ranking — 15 percent - Tucker
  4. Results against common opponents — 10 percent - no difference?
  5. RPI — 10 percent - Tucker?   Does Rivera qualify for an RPI yet?
  6. Qualifying event placement — 10 percent - no difference
  7. Win % — 10 percent - Tucker

So seems like Tucker may likely be the #1?   I think the bigger question is where does Phillipi get seeded?   Surely ahead of Desanto IMO.  Phillipi's only loss was to Alvarez but Desanto did not wrestle Alvarez while both Gross and RBY beat him so should get that criteria.   

Gross vs. Phillipi:

3. Coaches Ranking — 15 percent - Gross
  4. Results against common opponents — 10 percent - Gross?
  5. RPI — 10 percent - ?, probably Phillipi? (Previously Gross was #1, Phillipi #2)
  6. Qualifying event placement — 10 percent - Phillipi
  7. Win % — 10 percent - Phillipi

So will also come down to Quality wins?

Flo article on seeding - https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6131827-how-does-the-ncaa-seeding-process-work

Edited by 1032004

1. Marinelli 

2. Griffith 

3. Joseph

4. Wittlake

vs

1. Griffith

2. Marinelli

3. Wittlake

4. Joseph

does it really matter?  Course think most prefer first, but if

1. Griffith

2. Marinelli

3. Joseph

4.  Wittlake

folks aren't gonna be happy, but really the idea is to find out who is the best even if their toughest mach is semi vs finals, we really don't know that M v J would be that "best" match, its just what most folks think they want to see it because we know its good but we haven't seen the others to know which is best.