Jump to content
CB

Oregon State head coaching position

Recommended Posts

Bold Prediction: The Crescent Valley High School head coach Chad Lamer. CV had 10 champs in class 4A and he is the volunteer assistant at Oregon State this year. Ask anyone who follows Oregon high school wrestling and they will say he is a good recruiter too. He would undoubtedly stop the exodus of any and all Oregon talent.

Edited by Force118

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Force118 said:

Bold Prediction: The Crescent Valley High School head coach Chad Lamer. CV had 10 champs in class 4A and he is the volunteer assistant at Oregon State this year. Ask anyone who follows Oregon high school wrestling and they will say he is a good recruiter too. He would undoubtedly stop the exodus of any and all Oregon talent.

He had 9 champs and Jason Lara is the volunteer assistant this year not Chad. Chad has been on staff before though. I am not sure he would be willing to leave his chiropractor business to do that. Good guy - not sure he is a head coach guy but he would be a great assistant.  Dan Vidlak's kid will be there next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Idaho said:

He had 9 champs and Jason Lara is the volunteer assistant this year not Chad. Chad has been on staff before though. I am not sure he would be willing to leave his chiropractor business to do that. Good guy - not sure he is a head coach guy but he would be a great assistant.  Dan Vidlak's kid will be there next year. 

That’s right. It was also 5A not 4A. I can’t keep track of all the classes now. It’s a bold prediction but I could see it. I used to coach at CV so I’m probably a little bias.
If any of his kids are in the transfer portal in the next few months. I guess we will know. Out of all of the CV kids I think Wisenhut would be a good get. Chance is the best of the son’s IMO. DJ Gilett is really young so it’s hard to tell. Cantu is already headed to Oklahoma? After RJ Pena never became a true title threat and Rich didn’t pan out I think the top guys stopped considering OSU. Hopefully that will change. Vidlak projected 25 or 33?

Edited by Force118

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Force118 said:

That’s right. It was also 5A not 4A. I can’t keep track of all the classes now. It’s a bold prediction but I could see it. I used to coach at CV so I’m probably a little bias.
If any of his kids are in the transfer portal in the next few months. I guess we will know. Out of all of the CV kids I think Wisenhut would be a good get. Chance is the best of the son’s IMO. DJ Gilett is really young so it’s hard to tell. Cantu is already headed to Oklahoma? After RJ Pena never became a true title threat and Rich didn’t pan out I think the top guys stopped considering OSU. Hopefully that will change.

Depending on who the coach is, you might see them anyway (hopefully). Legend had a great RS year. Chance is great kid and talent. Cantu is heading to Indiana. I agree they need to target WHisenhunt (whose dad went to OSU) - Also Rowley and Walters need to be on the list of recruits. I still just have a hard time seeing him being a D1 head coach with not a lot of D1 coaching experience (some at OSU) and with some of the names they may get. But I definitely think he would be great as an assistant. He does a GREAT job at CV and Crush, which they changed their name.  Lara does a great job too. If not, Chad who do you think? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the list below has many factors and also some may be wishful thinking. OSU, is actually a very desirable location - Corvallis is a great town - 45 minutes from the coast- good school - Young lineup with everyone returning next year. Well funded. 

Cody Sanderson - He is a guy from the West - Utah - Would he want to come back to the West and would he want to leave his brother to pave his own way in the sport?

Jared Lawrence - Another West guy - He has a good gig going with the club in Minnesota. Would he return to the West? Very well respected coach - great guy. 

Chris Owens - Former longtime assistant at BSU - still in the area - Good recruiter - He is 50ish - and I think they would probably look. younger. 

Bill Zadick - Longshot - but would he bring his brother in to close out their coaching careers?  - Both NW guys from Montana  - Yeah , I know who goes from being the National coach to OSU.

I will probably add more names once I get a few thoughts together- I am sure there are some top assistants that will be looking at moving up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pamela said:

Steve Fittery or Jason Chamberlain? I think they’ve both got ties to the region. Are they ready?

Not even sure I'd consider Jason Chamberlain the most likely person on the Fresno State staff to get the Oregon State job...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Not even sure I'd consider Jason Chamberlain the most likely person on the Fresno State staff to get the Oregon State job...

Correct Israel Silva has many ties to the area

Edited by calot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well best of luck to Coach Z, and hopefully whoever the Beavers select they will energize the program. The Beavers have had a pretty good history of success, and it would be nice to see their program see more of that success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes fired, I wish him the best.  Nice family.  When the new AD and associates came in from Pittsburgh, there was more of a hands on approach with the program.  Dan Bartholomae has been to the last 2 NCAA's, including the trip back to Pitt.  He is also at most of the home duals and fan club get togethers.

I think their list is coming together already. I suspect a lot of talk in Minnesota about the position.  Sadly I won't make this years tournament...my first miss.  My streak started in Philly, in '11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So lots of talk about a high school coach.  I guess it worked for Rutgers and Virginia tech (although Dresser isn't really comparable), but it would be a very unorthodox move, especially since this seems to be a really small high school compared to Jackson/Cberg, which were nationally ranked.  

 

How about the usual suspects?  Mark Perry, Metcalf, Jaggers, etc?  Oregon state is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it still should be a good job for these guys, right?  Or is the salary way below what they are getting as top assistants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

So lots of talk about a high school coach.  I guess it worked for Rutgers and Virginia tech (although Dresser isn't really comparable), but it would be a very unorthodox move, especially since this seems to be a really small high school compared to Jackson/Cberg, which were nationally ranked.  

 

How about the usual suspects?  Mark Perry, Metcalf, Jaggers, etc?  Oregon state is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it still should be a good job for these guys, right?  Or is the salary way below what they are getting as top assistants?

$155,000 head coach assistants 105 & 75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...