Sign in to follow this  
CB

Oregon State head coaching position

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

How about the usual suspects?  Mark Perry, Metcalf, Jaggers, etc?  Oregon state is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but it still should be a good job for these guys, right?  Or is the salary way below what they are getting as top assistants?

Recruiting CA is one of the keys to any west coast job. 

There’s a 33 year old former hodge winner and olympic gold medalist from Bakersfield who’s spent the past 5 years learning the coaching ropes from someone who will go down as either the best or 2nd best college wrestling coach of all time. He’s also made no secret of the fact he’s ready to take over his own program.

In all fairness, Mark Perry has proven he can recruit CA with the best of them (Delgado, Imar, Justin Mejia, etc). Not sure he’d be my pick to run an entire team/program but should be on the list.

When it comes to money, the top HC prospects might be more concerned with the RTC funding visibility than their initial salary. I know they technically have one but not sure how viable and funded it is. 

What about Matt Gentry?  National champ, 2x Olympian.  Ties to both Oregon and California.  D1 coaching experience.  Has he left the sport completely?  If not, he'd be worth at least a look.

Zalesky one of the very few ACTIVE NCAA Division One Wrestling Coaches with NCAA Team Title/s on Resume.

Sanderson 8

Smith 5

Zalesky and Brands 3 Each

Tom Ryan 1

Am I missing any ?

10 minutes ago, dougb said:

Zalesky one of the very few ACTIVE NCAA Division One Wrestling Coaches with NCAA Team Title/s on Resume.

Sanderson 8

Smith 5

Zalesky and Brands 3 Each

Tom Ryan 1

Am I missing any ?

Nope...just them and J Robinson and Gable have won it since 1989. 

Edited by MDogg

3 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Absolutely the right decision. 

I couldn't agree more.  I was excited when Z was named.  I figured OSU would really come on strong.  Z has been flat the whole time and has not seemed too interested in improving the program or recruiting quality coaches or High Schoolers.  I would be awesome if this could get turned around for OSU. 

mspart

11 minutes ago, mspart said:

I couldn't agree more.  I was excited when Z was named.  I figured OSU would really come on strong.  Z has been flat the whole time and has not seemed too interested in improving the program or recruiting quality coaches or High Schoolers.  I would be awesome if this could get turned around for OSU. 

mspart

He hasn't seem to interested in improving the team? One of the hardest working coaches out there didn't seem interested?????????????

What an awful take.

Ian Miller isn't a quality coach?

This post is leaving me shaking my head....

30 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Absolutely the right decision.   I would have to believe that Fresno State's head coach, Troy Steiner, would be the # 1 candidate.

It would be from the aspect that he was an assistant at OSU and loved  Corvallis. But he just got the ball rolling at Fresno so I’m not sure he abandons ship yet. 

35 minutes ago, mspart said:

mspart

Not trying to offend here but what you wrote here is a bit ridiculous.  Especially in light of the fact that Zalesky brought Oregon State FIVE STRAIGHT Pac 12 wrestling championships (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016) and seven PAC 12 wrestling championships since 2006.  One of which was in his 2nd year at Oregon State (2007) and the other was in 2010.

His wrestling teams at Oregon State have been "flat" for the last three or four years.  But to say it's been "flat the whole time" is absurd. 

It is also no coincidence that they went "flat" after Troy Steiner left the Oregon State program to take the head coaching job at Fresno State after the 2016 season.  It's also no coincidence that 2016 was the last time Oregon State won the PAC 12 in wrestling.

Edited by Bronco

1 hour ago, jeffrideal said:

How about Les Gutches?

I saw him at the gym a few months back. He has to be pushing 250-all muscle. Absolutely huge now. He owns a few businesses in Corvallis so I know he is still involved in the community.

Edited by Force118

6 minutes ago, Force118 said:

I saw him at the gym a few months back. He has to be pushing 250-all muscle. Absolutely huge now. He owns a few businesses in Corvallis so I know he is still involved in the community.

Makes sense because he’s literally a body builder...competes in bodybuilding competitions/pageants and all that. Not sure if he still does but definitely did somewhat recently. Google can confirm.

4 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Makes sense because he’s literally a body builder...competes in bodybuilding competitions/pageants and all that. Not sure if he still does but definitely did somewhat recently. Google can confirm.

Yeah he does the masters circuit NPC. I know he was a national qualifier but not sure if he got his pro card. 

I like Z and definitely wish him the best, but it is time to pump some energy into the program. I attend any meaningful duals/tourneys in Corvallis, but they are few and far between. Hopefully the new coach can 1.) recruit really well (lock the state border) and 2.) get good schools on the home schedule