Sign in to follow this  
CB

Oregon State head coaching position

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Is it just me or does that seem like a pretty good salary for all three compared to what I have seen for other Division 1 coaches?

It's good scratch, and certainly more than livable in Oregon.  Routinely you will see that athletic coaches...especially FB, Basketball are the highest paid State employees.  Higher than the Gov.

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

Is it just me or does that seem like a pretty good salary for all three compared to what I have seen for other Division 1 coaches?

6 minutes ago, CB said:

It's good scratch, and certainly more than livable in Oregon.  Routinely you will see that athletic coaches...especially FB, Basketball are the highest paid State employees.  Higher than the Gov.

Most homes in the nicer part of Corvallis run about 450k-500k easily. The salary is good but the cost of living is quite high. 

3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Yes - Like @Force118 said - it's expensive but when you are pulling in 13k per month, plus insurance, retirement, etc. it's a pretty nice living. 

OSU is a very good job - Nice town to live in  - 45 minutes to the Oregon Coast - fully funded program - nice practice facility - newer locker rooms - all the starters are back next year an Willits comes off redshirt. It's a nice situation. 

33 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Have not heard a peep....of course people are preoccupied with hoarding right now. 

@CB @Force118 what's coming out of Corvallis? 

As of last night, no cases coming out of Benton county but Lebanon has had several at the VA home. There was a mild panic around town Friday night. Grocery stores were picked clean but gyms and restaurants looked like they were business as usual.

The city closed down several of their buildings open to the public, the library etc. most of their activities are shut down. Gov. Brown is considering a state wide closing of bars and restaurants-her predecessor (retired physician) has been very critical of her response thus far. She is supposed to make the decision this afternoon. 

Edited by Force118

6 minutes ago, Force118 said:

As of last night, no cases coming out of Benton county but Lebanon has had several at the VA home. There was a mild panic around town Friday night. Grocery stores were picked clean but gyms and restaurants looked like they were business as usual.

The city closed down several of their buildings open to the public, the library etc. most of their activities are shut down. Gov. Brown is considering a state wide closing of bars and restaurants-her predecessor (retired physician) has been very critical of her response thus far. She is supposed to make the decision this afternoon. 

I was thinking more of what you were hearing about the OSU coaching situation....but hey that's interesting too!

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I was thinking more of what you were hearing about the OSU coaching situation....but hey that's interesting too!

Lol. I haven’t heard anything substantive. I did hear that OSU was planning on doing most of their recruiting leg work at nationals (not surprising) but now that isn’t happening I’m not sure of their gameplan. 

6 hours ago, Idaho said:

Have not heard a peep....of course people are preoccupied with hoarding right now. 

@CB @Force118 what's coming out of Corvallis? 

This. I’ve applied for about 12 jobs at the local colleges and universities and were told by most they will begin interviews after the restrictions are removed.

One guy I wish would coach in college was McIlravy, but he said he didn't have the right kind of temperment or patience when he was coaching at the OTC.  Loved watching his pace and action.  There's very few guys who can go at that pace and not break down.  

11 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

One guy I wish would coach in college was McIlravy, but he said he didn't have the right kind of temperment or patience when he was coaching at the OTC.  Loved watching his pace and action.  There's very few guys who can go at that pace and not break down.  

Agree....and another onel was an OSU guy...Babak Mohammadi. 

Being around the program and fan club the last 20+ years I know what this position can offer:

9.9 scholarships

AD staff that will support the program

New’ish wrestling room, lockers, room for spectators to watch

Newly refurbed downstairs sports performance facility-weights, cardio, fuel bar

New competition mat and huge video board in Gill Coliseum

Academic success center (all sports) close to sports complex

Wrestling Endowment funds totaling $5M

Club Team (youth to Sr level) – Orange Crush

Active alumni group – IOC (I saw Jess Lewis, Howard Harris at one event this year, pretty cool)

Active Fan Club – The Fall

Solid history depicted by banners inside Gill – Reed, Thomas, Gutches & AA photo’s inside the foyer

Town will support a winner, see Baseball, Women’s Hoops

30 minutes ago, CB said:

Being around the program and fan club the last 20+ years I know what this position can offer:

9.9 scholarships

AD staff that will support the program

New’ish wrestling room, lockers, room for spectators to watch

Newly refurbed downstairs sports performance facility-weights, cardio, fuel bar

New competition mat and huge video board in Gill Coliseum

Academic success center (all sports) close to sports complex

Wrestling Endowment funds totaling $5M

Club Team (youth to Sr level) – Orange Crush

Active alumni group – IOC (I saw Jess Lewis, Howard Harris at one event this year, pretty cool)

Active Fan Club – The Fall

Solid history depicted by banners inside Gill – Reed, Thomas, Gutches & AA photo’s inside the foyer

Town will support a winner, see Baseball, Women’s Hoops

Agree CB - There are a lot of great things about this job. I would add that the production of home meets improved and created more energy.  Jess Lewis is a great guy! I was working a tournament and he came up to me and introduced himself and started asking me questions. I referred to him as a legend and he didn't want any part of that. Very humble man. Thanks for the insights. 

On 3/10/2020 at 12:20 PM, mspart said:

I couldn't agree more.  I was excited when Z was named.  I figured OSU would really come on strong.  Z has been flat the whole time and has not seemed too interested in improving the program or recruiting quality coaches or High Schoolers.  I would be awesome if this could get turned around for OSU. 

mspart

I'm not going back to look, but one of his assistants was Troy Steiner.....and I consider him and his brother Terry to both be great coaches....just sayin'.  Before  Troy had left to go to Fresno State, he had actually been elevated to Associate Head Coach.

Had to wade all the way thru that very lengthy article to find this:

" Among the names expected to be contacted by Oregon State about its head coaching position are Terry Brands, associate head coach at Iowa; Zack Esposito, associate head coach, Oklahoma State; Kevin Ward, head coach, Army, and Cary Kolat, head coach, Campbell."

I'm shocked that former Oregon State assistant coach and now Fresno State head coach Troy Steiner wasn't mentioned.  However this article also mentioned that they would be interviewing EIGHT candidates and only four are named here.

8 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Had to wade all the way thru that very lengthy article to find this:

" Among the names expected to be contacted by Oregon State about its head coaching position are Terry Brands, associate head coach at Iowa; Zack Esposito, associate head coach, Oklahoma State; Kevin Ward, head coach, Army, and Cary Kolat, head coach, Campbell."

I'm shocked that former Oregon State assistant coach and now Fresno State head coach Troy Steiner wasn't mentioned.  However this article also mentioned that they would be interviewing EIGHT candidates and only four are named here.

Some folks may not want to named. 

"expected to be contacted"   - Author speculation -  The committee isn't going to give any names out publicly - although 3 of those names would be great hires. 

As Tomasovic said- there is a lot of interest in the job.  Mid-April would be great to have a new coach!

Edited by Idaho

Give credit to the Oregon State athletics director here.  Making a quick decision and thus keeping the program up on a desirable list.  The list looks like an A-list of candidates. Too many wait to make the call to replace, and you end up with a dumpster fire of a program. And no high profile coach will give it a sniff .Such as Maryland, Michigan St.,Indiana, just to name a few.  Although not in the breadbasket of wrestling, Mideast. But very attractive for Midwest and western athletes, and that’s a lot. 

They need to boost the HC salary to 200K.  Just a quick look at Zillow and you are easily spending 500K on a good home close to campus.

My pick if I were the AD and if he was interested? 

Current Head Coaches:
1.  Schwab UNI.  What he has done as the 3rd bastard child of Iowa is anything short of amazing.
2.  Hahn SDSU.  Let's face it, he is in purgatory in SDSU and was a bad move.

That's it for head coaches.

Assistants and RTC coaches, not in particular order:
1.  Esposito OSU.  It is in Oregon's best interest to steal him from Okie State and promote Perry as head assistant.  The higher Perry gets, the weaker Okie State gets.
2.  Varner PSU.  He has an Olympic gold, he coaches for a powerhouse, double his salary and tell him he owns the entire NW.
3.  Perry HWC.  He can recruit out of Cali and he is a good coach.
4.  Guerrero Oklahoma RTC.  He is unlikeable but has tons of experience and his sons are getting older and could be future Oregon State wrestlers.
5.  Grey Cornell.  He will never be the head coach.  Get over it.

That is pretty much it.  Terry is never leaving Iowa and neither is his son and why would he want to be the head coach in the state of his most excruciating loss ever in 1996 which still bothers him to this day.

Edited by Boompa

30 minutes ago, Boompa said:

They need to boost the HC salary to 200K.  Just a quick look at Zillow and you are easily spending 500K on a good home close to campus.

My pick if I were the AD and if he was interested? 

Current Head Coaches:
1.  Schwab UNI.  What he has done as the 3rd bastard child of Iowa is anything short of amazing.
2.  Hahn SDSU.  Let's face it, he is in purgatory in SDSU and was a bad move.

That's it for head coaches.

Assistants and RTC coaches, not in particular order:
1.  Esposito OSU.  It is in Oregon's best interest to steal him from Okie State and promote Perry as head assistant.  The higher Perry gets, the weaker Okie State gets.
2.  Varner PSU.  He has an Olympic gold, he coaches for a powerhouse, double his salary and tell him he owns the entire NW.
3.  Perry HWC.  He can recruit out of Cali and he is a good coach.
4.  Guerrero Oklahoma RTC.  He is unlikeable but has tons of experience and his sons are getting older and could be future Oregon State wrestlers.
5.  Grey Cornell.  He will never be the head coach.  Get over it.

That is pretty much it.  Terry is never leaving Iowa and neither is his son and why would he want to be the head coach in the state of his most excruciating loss ever in 1996 which still bothers him to this day.

SDSU was greatly improved under Hahn - He has started a good thing there but OSU would be a better place IMO.  I have also said Varner - he's a west coast guy and ready to move up. Cody Sanderson - PSU guy - Cael's brother - from Utah- PR dream. Sounds like there is a lot of interest and the guy in charge of it is a PA guy. Add Strobel to the committee and you have a pretty solid committee to get the job done right. 

On 3/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, MDogg said:

There’s a 33 year old former hodge winner and olympic gold medalist from Bakersfield who’s spent the past 5 years learning the coaching ropes from someone who will go down as either the best or 2nd best college wrestling coach of all time. He’s also made no secret of the fact he’s ready to take over his own program.

Who are you talking about?