CB

Oregon State head coaching position

12 hours ago, Boompa said:

They need to boost the HC salary to 200K.  Just a quick look at Zillow and you are easily spending 500K on a good home close to campus.

My pick if I were the AD and if he was interested? 

Current Head Coaches:
1.  Schwab UNI.  What he has done as the 3rd bastard child of Iowa is anything short of amazing.
2.  Hahn SDSU.  Let's face it, he is in purgatory in SDSU and was a bad move.

That's it for head coaches.

Assistants and RTC coaches, not in particular order:
1.  Esposito OSU.  It is in Oregon's best interest to steal him from Okie State and promote Perry as head assistant.  The higher Perry gets, the weaker Okie State gets.
2.  Varner PSU.  He has an Olympic gold, he coaches for a powerhouse, double his salary and tell him he owns the entire NW.
3.  Perry HWC.  He can recruit out of Cali and he is a good coach.
4.  Guerrero Oklahoma RTC.  He is unlikeable but has tons of experience and his sons are getting older and could be future Oregon State wrestlers.
5.  Grey Cornell.  He will never be the head coach.  Get over it.

That is pretty much it.  Terry is never leaving Iowa and neither is his son and why would he want to be the head coach in the state of his most excruciating loss ever in 1996 which still bothers him to this day.

Questions - Why does OkS get worse if Perry moves up?

Why is Guerrero unlikable? 

Will Grey never be HC cuz Koll will be there awhile or some other reason?

Im not being an ass I just am not that knowledgeable about people in wrestling. Thanks in advance. 

What is clear in college wrestling today, if you don't have the CEO/Chief fundraiser type experience/potential then you can't build/maintain a top tier college program. Someone with this potential is what Oregon State should be looking for. Then bring in a couple of top assistants who can recruit/train kids in the room. The Koll/Cornell model is becoming more of the norm. Grey has been raised in this climate. Varner clearly knows how PSU raised all that cash for their OTC. Or look for the next program builder in the mold of Popolizio---who is the next Pat Popolizio (a solid D1 wrestler but never a champion, who built two programs to historic high water marks)?

Edited by MPC

9 hours ago, Idaho said:

Varner 

Thanks.  I figured that out after I posted too but don't get the reference to calling him a former hodge winner.  He does seem like a great fit for this job.

Edited by Broomstick

4 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Questions - Why does OkS get worse if Perry moves up?

Why is Guerrero unlikable? 

Will Grey never be HC cuz Koll will be there awhile or some other reason?

Im not being an ass I just am not that knowledgeable about people in wrestling. Thanks in advance. 

ConnorsDad-Perry has the "Martha Stewart" info on what REALLY goes on in the Okie State room. With Smith being his Uncle he has been around that mindset for a long time. 

Guerrero has not read the book "Win Friends and Influence People". He does know Wrestling but he does rub a lot of people the wrong way.  

Kolat sticks out the most to me. This would be a home run if they could get him to leave Campbell. 

He seems to have matured into one of the greatest ambassadors of our sport.

I think he is one of the best teachers in wrestling, teaches an aggressive style and he would use the geography of the school to his advantage.

This fit is almost too good to be true.

19 minutes ago, Greatdane67 said:

Kolat sticks out the most to me. This would be a home run if they could get him to leave Campbell. 

He seems to have matured into one of the greatest ambassadors of our sport.

I think he is one of the best teachers in wrestling, teaches an aggressive style and he would use the geography of the school to his advantage.

This fit is almost too good to be true.

I like this choice as well Greatdane67.  His Camels beat the Beavs in an early season dual this season.  The irony of a coaching change, and Campbell coming to Corvallis for the home & home series. 

2 hours ago, CB said:

I like this choice as well Greatdane67.  His Camels beat the Beavs in an early season dual this season.  The irony of a coaching change, and Campbell coming to Corvallis for the home & home series. 

The other job open is Navy as well. Kolat expressed interest in the position before from my understanding. He has relatively strong ties to the state. I could see it. 

5 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

The other job open is Navy as well. Kolat expressed interest in the position before from my understanding. He has relatively strong ties to the state. I could see it. 

For the same reasons I don't think the Beavers can land Kolat.  His ties and life have been in the East. Would it be an incredible get for OSU - absolutely! I would be 100% on board with that! But, all the other factors point to no. I think someone long term for OSU is going to have some connection to the West. Varner, Cody Sanderson, etc. Just my opinion...hopefully we find out in the next 3-4 weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Idaho said:

For the same reasons I don't think the Beavers can land Kolat.  His ties and life have been in the East. Would it be an incredible get for OSU - absolutely! I would be 100% on board with that! But, all the other factors point to no. I think someone long term for OSU is going to have some connection to the West. Varner, Cody Sanderson, etc. Just my opinion...hopefully we find out in the next 3-4 weeks. 

Perhaps but while Corvallis is a great place to visit western Oregon is nothing like Utah (so not like going home) nor even like eastern Oregon.  Some folks would find it hard to live there, it's not simply an east coast west coast thing and likewise Penn St not east coast. 

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Perhaps but while Corvallis is a great place to visit western Oregon is nothing like Utah (so not like going home) nor even like eastern Oregon.  Some folks would find it hard to live there, it's not simply an east coast west coast thing and likewise Penn St not east coast. 

You will notice I said connections to the west - I didn't say home.   Although Oregon, last time I checked, was a lot closer to Utah than Pennsylvania. I will disagree that living in the West in general is different than living in the East - Have several family on both ends. But hey, maybe he loves the East and wants to say out there.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, Boompa said:

They need to boost the HC salary to 200K.  Just a quick look at Zillow and you are easily spending 500K on a good home close to campus.

My pick if I were the AD and if he was interested? 

Current Head Coaches:
1.  Schwab UNI.  What he has done as the 3rd bastard child of Iowa is anything short of amazing.
2.  Hahn SDSU.  Let's face it, he is in purgatory in SDSU and was a bad move.

That's it for head coaches.

Assistants and RTC coaches, not in particular order:
1.  Esposito OSU.  It is in Oregon's best interest to steal him from Okie State and promote Perry as head assistant.  The higher Perry gets, the weaker Okie State gets.
2.  Varner PSU.  He has an Olympic gold, he coaches for a powerhouse, double his salary and tell him he owns the entire NW.
3.  Perry HWC.  He can recruit out of Cali and he is a good coach.
4.  Guerrero Oklahoma RTC.  He is unlikeable but has tons of experience and his sons are getting older and could be future Oregon State wrestlers.
5.  Grey Cornell.  He will never be the head coach.  Get over it.

That is pretty much it.  Terry is never leaving Iowa and neither is his son and why would he want to be the head coach in the state of his most excruciating loss ever in 1996 which still bothers him to this day.

3rd bastard child....who are the other two????  might have an idea, but may be way off

I agree with others on the Guerrero front - I don't think any Beaver fans would be happy with that one. I'm the same age as him--and from the West coast--and nothing he has done in the last 30 years has made me root for him. 

I like the idea of Varner, but I don't know enough about him personally. 

Perry would be a big splash.

Cody Sanderson would be great, although I am sure he has been pursued for many other jobs, and I'm not sure what would make Oregon State different than the other possible situations. 

I don't subscribe to Flo - did anyone else watch FRL - they were suppose to have possible candidates for HC - did they have any insight or anyone different than what is already being passed around? 

Adam Hall! How did I forget him? He would definitely be my choice over those other guys mentioned. I think his personality, work ethic, and knowledge of the area would suit the Beavers well. 

5 hours ago, Obelix said:

Adam Hall! How did I forget him? He would definitely be my choice over those other guys mentioned. I think his personality, work ethic, and knowledge of the area would suit the Beavers well. 

Great coach he's ready for his own program