Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Steveson-Parris comments

Didn't see any threads on the match between these guys. 

Steveson is stronger than Parris. Parris couldn't move Gable unless Gable wanted to be moved (HWT "push"). 

Steveson is much quicker than Parris. Those two takedowns by Gable were from quickness, and he nearly horsed Parris in the third for another

Steveson is a better wrestler than Parris. He has better technique. 

Thoughts: Parris needs to work on some new stuff. Steveson was putting his left leg in front and basically goading Parris into attacking it. Parris needs to work on a fireman's carry, or at least an outside single on that leg. He's got to his Steveson with something unexpected...when was the last time somebody tried a fireman's carry on the big boy?

Edited by TobusRex

10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Didn't see any threads on the match between these guys. 

Steveson is stronger than Parris. Parris couldn't move Gable unless Gable wanted to be moved (HWT "push"). 

Steveson is much quicker than Parris. Those two takedowns by Gable were from quickness, and he nearly horsed Parris in the third for another

Steveson is a better wrestler than Parris. He has better technique. 

Thoughts: Parris needs to work on some new stuff. Steveson was putting his left leg in front and basically goading Parris into attacking it. Parris needs to work on a fireman's carry, or at least an outside single on that leg. He's got to his Steveson with something unexpected...when was the last time somebody tried a fireman's carry on the big boy?

Come on tRex give use the real scoop, everyone wants to know details on how you'd pin both Parris and Steveson inside 1 minute?  ;) 

:)

Going in to this match, I thought Parris might have the advantage, but watching Gable get those first couple of takedowns, that thought was quickly dispelled. Although Gable was very impressive, I also think that Parris is going to get better as well. Hopefully we get to see these two battle it out at the NCAA's. 

Although Steveson is clearly a tier above Parris right now, he's probably pretty close to his folkstyle ceiling (freestyle is likely a different story).  Parris, however, seems to have room to continue improving.

And Parris had some moments of his own.  More importantly, his own attacks didn't cost him as I feared they might.  With adjustments, maybe he finishes a few more of his attacks, and next year's match(es) looks a lot different.

That said, I doubt the NCAA finals looks much different (unless it's worse).

14 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Going in to this match, I thought Parris might have the advantage, but watching Gable get those first couple of takedowns, that thought was quickly dispelled. Although Gable was very impressive, I also think that Parris is going to get better as well. Hopefully we get to see these two battle it out at the NCAA's. 

Oh yeah, Parris will continue to improve. I'm looking forward to these guys getting a great rivalry going, Steveson is way ahead though, 

36 minutes ago, ionel said:

Come on tRex give use the real scoop, everyone wants to know details on how you'd pin both Parris and Steveson inside 1 minute?  ;) 

:)

I did quite well against heavies back in the day :D I was as strong as they were, but much lighter/quicker. I'm sure I'd tech either of the wimps you mentioned above :D 

Btw: we had unlimited HWT when I wrestled HS. The biggest HWT I wrestled in HS was about 250 pounds or so,  I only wrestled HWT when there wasn't a 190 for me to wrestle and the coach thought I could take the other team's HWT (our own HWT was my best friend, and he was terrible)

Edited by TobusRex

22 minutes ago, Bigboi Trained said:

No one talked about it because gable did whatever he wanted with Paris. Paris will never beat gable. 

Yeah, that match was never in doubt after the first TD. But I don't agree that Parris will never beat Gable. He might catch him in a fall, like Picc/Lee last year. 

10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I did quite well against heavies back in the day :D I was as strong as they were, but much lighter/quicker. I'm sure I'd tech either of the wimps you mentioned above :D 

Btw: we had unlimited HWT when I wrestled HS. The biggest HWT I wrestled in HS was about 250 pounds or so,  I only wrestled HWT when there wasn't a 190 for me to wrestle and the coach thought I could take the other team's HWT (our own HWT was my best friend, and he was terrible)

11 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Ever wrestle Jimmy Jackson?

32 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

190 weight class?  How old are you?!?!?!?

47 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Although Steveson is clearly a tier above Parris right now, he's probably pretty close to his folkstyle ceiling (freestyle is likely a different story).  Parris, however, seems to have room to continue improving.

And Parris had some moments of his own.  More importantly, his own attacks didn't cost him as I feared they might.  With adjustments, maybe he finishes a few more of his attacks, and next year's match(es) looks a lot different.

That said, I doubt the NCAA finals looks much different (unless it's worse).

I think the NCAA finals will look different, because (as I've posted before) I think Cassiopi beats Parris in March.

I still see Gable beating Cass in the finals, but I think Cass changes his strategy up and wins by 1 (maybe 2) over Parris in a more 'traditional' HW matchup than their last matchup.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

190 weight class?  How old are you?!?!?!?

55, same as John Smith :D

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I weighed 182-184 my entire Sr year, so I was a light 190. Back in those days in Oklahoma you could jump up 2 weight classes to wrestle HWT, and sometimes 178 pounders would bump up to wrestle HWT.  There was a 440 pound kid at Coweta wrestling at the time, plus a 360 pounder in Bristow named Troy Gaasch. Troy was a great kid, super sense of humor, hope he's still alive.

Edited by TobusRex

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I think the NCAA finals will look different, because (as I've posted before) I think Cassiopi beats Parris in March.

I still see Gable beating Cass in the finals, but I think Cass changes his strategy up and wins by 1 (maybe 2) over Parris in a more 'traditional' HW matchup than their last matchup.

I like Cassiopi,  he puts out good effort on the mat, especially for a big boy.

I wonder how any of those guys you mentioned would fare against some of the huge heavies from the past, like Tab Thacker or Chris Taylor?