Marcus Cisero

NCAA Assessing How Covid-19 Might Impact Wrestling Championships

50 minutes ago, Force118 said:

3 weeks ago Italy had 3 infected now they have over 10,000. They acted exactly as we are now. They went about their daily lives and few measures were taken. Now the country is in lockdown. There are not enough hospital beds, respirators, or staff and they have to ration care. A ER doc said they will no longer even assess patients who are over 65 or those with significant comorbidities.

At this point the majority of Americans will get infected but if it’s spread out the healthcare infrastructure can handle it. If a lot of people get infected at once, hospitals will be over run and the system will collapse. 

There is also a chance even the athletes do not compete. An athlete under scholarship or a coach under contract would basically be forced to go and could hold the NCAA and university responsible if infected. As soon as liability outweighs the $$$ the NCAA will cancel. This assumes they even have a choice.

30 - 60 days from now many will be wondering why so many took this so lightly.

swine flu in 2008? killed 12,ooo out of 61mil infected in USA

this will be similar

we didn't freak out over teh swine flu

that said, i am worried for my parents.

my daughter flew into LAX and spent 4 days there after the korean FA was discovered

we sent her anyway

NSAA just mandated only immediate family allowed at state bball

working on policing this they say

wondering what will happen at NCAA D2's in souix falls this weekend

i plan on going

Edited by GockeS

59 minutes ago, GockeS said:

swine flu in 2008? killed 12,ooo out of 61mil infected in USA

this will be similar

we didn't freak out over teh swine flu

There was no "swine flu" and yes folks did freak, the pork industry lost $1 billion due to freaking on this "swine" thing, just like covid-19 impact on Corona beer, plain silly.  It was H1N1 and even after experts corrected media that there was no connection to swine the media was still calling it "swine flu."

By your #s above, very very low mortality rate.  Also, R0 for H1N1 about 1.5 much lower than what currently seeing for covid-19.