Seriously though, since it’s merely a recommendation from Emmett does that mean it’s ultimately up to the individual venues or sports? Or a school by school decision? I don’t quite understand how it works when the NCAA stops short of saying “no spectators allowed”.

So without fans, you've got the wrestlers, coaches, officials, mat workers, journalists, announcers, and arena staff.  Maybe about 500-600 people?  (pure guess on my part)

Given the way the three day tournament works, I wonder if they will have a policy for those at various stages of the competition.  Will eliminated wrestlers and coaching staff for eliminated teams be allowed to attend all remaining sessions?  At that point, they will be reduced to fans for their teammates, friends and colleagues, and the NCAA is now removing the fans from the picture.

Just now, pamela said:

Seriously though, since it’s merely a recommendation from Emmett does that mean it’s ultimately up to the individual venues or sports? Or a school by school decision? I don’t quite understand how it works when the NCAA stops short of saying “no spectators allowed”.

It's not a recommendation.  Direct from Emmert:

"The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel. Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance. " 

3 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

It's not a recommendation.  Direct from Emmert:

"The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel. Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance. " 

Thanks!!

44 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Every one is going to be mad about this after the fallout of coronavirus isn't too horrible, yet it will be likely that its not horrible because the country did things like this. 

You could not have put it better. Risk mitigation is expensive and this will be painful to boot, and we will not know for sure how much it mattered. 

46 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Every one is going to be mad about this after the fallout of coronavirus isn't too horrible, yet it will be likely that its not horrible because the country did things like this. 

Sounds kinda petty to be "mad" when it comes to dealing with people's health...

7 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Penn State announced that they will not allow fans at their hockey game this weekend (b1g playoff). Friends and family only.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Someone just told me the PSU basketball game will have no fans tonite. 

9 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

So without fans, you've got the wrestlers, coaches, officials, mat workers, journalists, announcers, and arena staff.  Maybe about 500-600 people?  (pure guess on my part)

Given the way the three day tournament works, I wonder if they will have a policy for those at various stages of the competition.  Will eliminated wrestlers and coaching staff for eliminated teams be allowed to attend all remaining sessions?  At that point, they will be reduced to fans for their teammates, friends and colleagues, and the NCAA is now removing the fans from the picture.

My guess is it won’t be a big problem. The idea of social distancing is to cut down on crowd density. People leave their viruses every time they touch something. Viruses can live quite a while on surfaces. Crowded bathrooms discourage thorough and frequent hand washing. More people means more touching. Tighter spaces mean people are physically close enough to spread the disease by coughing. And so on. If you reduce the tournament to 500 - 600 people that’s a huge amount of distancing and unpacking of all that density. 

4 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

I’ve got 2 excellent seats, sec 102, row A.  Basically the 50 yard line in the front row!  Best seats in the bldg.

Will take $ 60 for both, or $ 25 for one.  

Get someone to setup streaming video and maybe a cardboard cutout of yourself.

An over reaction to this threat leading to economic destruction and misery could kill way more people (lots of small businesses, credit lines, jobs at risk).  Question is, what’s the right balance.

And to the point above, I was wondering who is footing the bill for the venue and whether they will try to move to smaller venue.  Likely too late to shift something so big.

This is going to be weird, but I guess much like many UWW events ... big matches, empty house.

12 minutes ago, nom said:

An over reaction to this threat leading to economic destruction and misery could kill way more people (lots of small businesses, credit lines, jobs at risk).  Question is, what’s the right balance.

And to the point above, I was wondering who is footing the bill for the venue and whether they will try to move to smaller venue.  Likely too late to shift something so big.

This is going to be weird, but I guess much like many UWW events ... big matches, empty house.

Yeah...most people don't understand that.  They see their paystub and tax refund only.