I say move it to Rec Hall where I can easily be classed, "essential family".

I am estimating 3,000 people and Rec Hall can fit 8 mats (I've been to youth tournaments there with 18 mats).

Meanwhile Tbar is going....."what?"

Then he does his 5 minutes of online research and says, "yes...there is the State College tournament every year and they have 18 mats".

But he will still be watching at home, whatever state that is.

Edited by Boompa

10 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

My guess is it won’t be a big problem. The idea of social distancing is to cut down on crowd density. People leave their viruses every time they touch something. Viruses can live quite a while on surfaces. Crowded bathrooms discourage thorough and frequent hand washing. More people means more touching. Tighter spaces mean people are physically close enough to spread the disease by coughing. And so on. If you reduce the tournament to 500 - 600 people that’s a huge amount of distancing and unpacking of all that density. 

It might also make a difference in tracking the spread of the disease.

Consider this. Rumor around town is that a high school wrestling coach (in the state, not locally) has tested positive. Would if have been a carrier at the state wrestling tournament? If he was, how would you go about tracking down every one he might have been in contact with, get them proactively tested (assuming we have enough tests - we don't) and having them quarantined if they test positive? 

As opposed to the alternative, which would be to put out a public announcement, recommending that anyone who was at the tournament self-quarantine for a week or so. 

Now suppose, instead, that a coach from an NCAA team tests positive in the week or two after the national meet. There should be a complete list of essential staff from the tournament venue, and each wrestler and his teem should be able to provide a complete list of the limited family members. It should be possible to track down every person potentially exposed.

Under those two scenarios, which will have the lesser chance of spreading disease to untouched communities?

I worked the NAIA national indoor track meet last week, and since I was an official, I would hope that if an athlete, coach or fan tests positive in the next couple weeks, I would be on the short list to be contacted about potential exposure. Perhaps there might be resources to go through hotel guest lists and contact other potential exposures. But I'm pretty damn sure I saw some people sleeping in a car in the parking lot; who knows where they're from.

Monitoring the movements of persons with potential exposure is an important tool for managing epidemics (https://www.who.int/features/qa/contact-tracing/en/)

Just now, dakotajudo said:

It might also make a difference in tracking the spread of the disease.

Consider this. Rumor around town is that a high school wrestling coach (in the state, not locally) has tested positive. Would if have been a carrier at the state wrestling tournament? If he was, how would you go about tracking down every one he might have been in contact with, get them proactively tested (assuming we have enough tests - we don't) and having them quarantined if they test positive? 

As opposed to the alternative, which would be to put out a public announcement, recommending that anyone who was at the tournament self-quarantine for a week or so. 

Now suppose, instead, that a coach from an NCAA team tests positive in the week or two after the national meet. There should be a complete list of essential staff from the tournament venue, and each wrestler and his teem should be able to provide a complete list of the limited family members. It should be possible to track down every person potentially exposed.

Under those two scenarios, which will have the lesser chance of spreading disease to untouched communities?

I worked the NAIA national indoor track meet last week, and since I was an official, I would hope that if an athlete, coach or fan tests positive in the next couple weeks, I would be on the short list to be contacted about potential exposure. Perhaps there might be resources to go through hotel guest lists and contact other potential exposures. But I'm pretty damn sure I saw some people sleeping in a car in the parking lot; who knows where they're from.

Monitoring the movements of persons with potential exposure is an important tool for managing epidemics (https://www.who.int/features/qa/contact-tracing/en/)

This is a very good point.

12 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I am estimating 3,000 people and Rec Hall can fit 8 mats (I've been to youth tournaments there with 18 mats).

Then he does his 5 minutes of online research and says, "yes...there is the State College tournament every year and they have 18 mats".

Is it really appropriate to make this kinda of comment in this thread?

Moving it to a smaller indoor facility is the reverse of a good idea. The problem would be lessened if everyone sat in a checkerboard pattern, even one seat in four.

Maybe it could be moved to a giant outdoor stadium in a warm climate--Rosebowl? Sanford would be the largest outdoor stadium with wrestling in a warm climate, Maybe AzSU

Or carried to the extreme, Daytona

1 minute ago, RichB said:

Moving it to a smaller indoor facility is the reverse of a good idea. The problem would be lessened if everyone sat in a checkerboard pattern, even one seat in four.

Maybe it could be moved to a giant outdoor stadium in a warm climate--Rosebowl? Sanford would be the largest outdoor stadium with wrestling in a warm climate, Maybe AzSU

Or carried to the extreme, Daytona

Moving it closer to the US’ epicenter of the outbreak doesn’t seem like the best idea.......

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Thank GOD for ESPN streaming vs. FLO.  Can't imagine ESPN having bandwidth issues!

Well, except now 40,000 more people will be streaming it.

1 minute ago, Coachp said:

40K extra is nothing for ESPN+. They have UFC events on there every week including the PPVs. 

4 minutes ago, Coachp said:

It’s highly unlikely the event even happens. It’s still hundreds of people close together and they will travel from all over the country. There was a conference at Biogen in Massachusetts a few weeks ago that is responsible for a spread to several US states. NCAA will likely do this in waves, first fans and then as we get closer the entire tournament. Schools may not allow their athletes to compete or even practice. 

Edited by Force118

51 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I really should have put you on ignore ages ago. 

6 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Do you have the potential to crash into a pedastrian and kill them? 

Yes potentially some (small number) but that is still not exponential like the spread of this virus. One infected person inside the venue is all it would take and everyone would get infected. 30,000 x .5% = 150 dead just for a quick estimate.

Edited by Datsik

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Largest NCAA tournament venue ever... lowest attendance ever.  

Can't wait to hear Terry berating officials, echoing across a silent, empty football stadium.  

What kind of bath will the NCAA take on this?! 

Just now, jsmalls131313 said:

If one person ever died from wrestling would it be worth it to continue letting people wrestle? 

I have family who have a health history that creates depleted immune systems. If I brought coronavirus back to them I would be putting their life in danger and it would be zero fault of their own.

If someone wrestles a match and dies, its horrible, but it cant cause a chain reaction putting tens, 100s, 1000s of people at risk. Get a clue man.

3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I have family who have a health history that creates depleted immune systems. If I brought coronavirus back to them I would be putting their life in danger and it would be zero fault of their own.

If someone wrestles a match and dies, its horrible, but it cant cause a chain reaction putting tens, 100s, 1000s of people at risk. Get a clue man.

So in other words, your original analogy was stupid and judging whether an event should take place on  "if even one person could die" was a foolish take? I agree, as are most of your takes on this forum. 

Take a deep breath and back away from the computer for a while. Spending all day every day on this forum clearly doesn't do much for mental health. 

Edited by jsmalls131313

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Drama Queen