Just now, jsmalls131313 said:

So in other words, your original analogy was stupid and judging whether an event should take place on  "if even one person could die" was a foolish take? I agree, as are most of your takes on this forum. 

Why is that one stupid? I didnt say anything about someone attending the event dying. If i put 100s of people at risk and 1 died who didnt even attend the event that would be horrible or you dont think thats a problem?

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Why is that one stupid? I didnt say anything about someone attending the event dying. If i put 100s of people at risk and 1 died who didnt even attend the event that would be horrible or you dont think thats a problem?

Do you not realize thats a different question than you originally posed? 

4 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Do you not realize thats a different question than you originally posed? 

Its really not though. This is what I said:

If one person died because they had this event would it be worth it?

I don't imply that the person has to be at the event.

Fact is that your answer to this is clearly yes, it would be worth it because people can die in other ways. I don't think it would be worth it. 

Its really not though. This is what I said:

I don't imply that the person has to be at the event.

Fact is that your answer to this is clearly yes, it would be worth it because people can die in other ways. I don't think it would be worth it. 

Yes. And then I said "If one person died wrestling would it be worth it?" And you said yes. 

Now, Im guessing you don't have a job. But let's say you do, would it be worth it to go to work tomm if one person eventually died from it? If so does that mean you aren't going in to work? How would you feel about a family member of yours that is currently going to work and possibly contracting the virus and then passing it on to others?

2 hours ago, jsmalls131313 said:

I would of course prefer an appropriate response. My point is that you have already justified the decision either way, whether or not it was actually necessary. 

To date 32 people have died from Corona. 6 million people die from car crashed every year. Would you support an over reaction like removing all cars from the roads immediately to prevent 6 million deaths? 

You would enjoy a website called spurious correlations. 

7 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Yes. And then I said "If one person died wrestling would it be worth it?" And you said yes. 

Now, Im guessing you don't have a job. But let's say you do, would it be worth it to go to work tomm if one person eventually died from it? If so does that mean you aren't going in to work? How would you feel about a family member of yours that is currently going to work and possibly contracting the virus and then passing it on to others?

Why wouldn't I have a job? I have a great job, but it is from home most of the time. What a weak attempt to discredit me? Pretty typical behavior from those who lack the chops to discuss something on their actual merits.

Anyways, if I did go into the office tomorrow, I wouldn't be meeting up with 30,000 people from all over the country. Do you see the clear difference there? 

Edited by russelscout

22 minutes ago, russelscout said:

With that said if there were no Coronavirus you would almost guarantee an indirect death from the spread of influenza.  

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

With all of us at home watching now, we will all be able to spend the NCAA tourney here, together on themat.com!

It freezes up some during normal natties, almost guaranteed to now with the added number of available posters.

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Why wouldn't I have a job? I have a great job, but it is from home most of the time. What a weak attempt to discredit me. Pretty typical behavior from those who lack the chops to discuss something on their actual merits.

Anyways, if I did go into the office tomorrow, I wouldn't be meeting up with 30,000 people from all over the country. Do you see the clear difference there? 

You wouldn't have a job because you spend more time posting BS on this forum than what most would consider healthy. Seems I touched a nerve. 

The difference is irrelevant. And just b/c there are 30k people there doesn't mean you "will be meeting up with" all of them. That line of thinking is obvious horse ****. 

What is the amount of people its OK to come in contact with? 100? 500? 1000? What about all the people that ride the subway or trains to work? What do you say about all the basketball stadiums around the nation right now that currently are packed to the brim? Scumbags that don't know as good as you? 

Edited by jsmalls131313

Not so. We vaccine for influenza and have developed a decent level of herd immunity. 

Yet somehow as a month ago 14000 have died from seasonal influenza in the US.   And you think no one would spread the flu after ncaa’s.  

2 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Why are you yelling? You said you can’t imagine ESPN having bandwidth issues. I’m saying that’s foolish because they do. 

Sorry, I started writing BEFORE social media took over.  Capitalizing words was done as a point of emphasis, WAY before it become symbolic for yelling.  Because, remember you can't yell through a keyboard, unless you are a huge dork and have audio set up to read text to you while yelling any words that are capitalized.  If that is the case............and I say this in a truly nice way...........stop being such a DORK!   ;)

Also, I have refused to let social media dictate how I write and will continue that going forward.

3 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

You wouldn't have a job because you spend more time posting BS on this forum than what most would consider healthy. Seems I touched a nerve. 

Not at all. Fact is everyone knows or should that good work is more profitable that more work. I do post on this form all day. I can do that for a reason. Go ahead though, double down on that ad hominem attack. 

5 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

The difference is irrelevant. And just b/c there are 30k people there doesn't mean you "will be meeting up with" all of them. That line of thinking is obvious horse ****. 

What is the amount of people its OK to come in contact with? 100? 500? 1000? What about all the people that ride the subway or trains to work? What do you say about all the basketball stadiums around the nation right now that currently are packed to the brim? Scumbags that don't know as good as you? 

Im saying precaution is justified when it can be taken. Im not guaranteeing any safety or spread of disease. It is an assessment of risk and a huge event with 30,000 is a huge risk. Apparently the CDC agrees. If that line of thinking is horse**** in your opinion why should we take your opinion over theirs? You must be awfully qualified to take such a passionate contrarian position.

11 minutes ago, moose41 said:

Yet somehow as a month ago 14000 have died from seasonal influenza in the US.   And you think no one would spread the flu after ncaa’s.  

They would, but because there is herd immunity, it all takes awhile. With something like corona virus, everyone you come in contact can get infected and then pass it on. Because of that fact it can happen super quick. Thats what's dangerous. Fact is that most of us will probably get corona virus in our lifetime. It will probably be like another flu in the future. However, with no immunity this can be dangerous until there is a vaccine and some have developed immunities.  That is the difference.

I think the right call is being made, even though it’s painful to those planning to attend, the wrestlers and others. 

That said, this decision surfaces some positive opportunities!

• Fans can contact local sports bars, etc., and ask to have the event televised and then ensure folks show up. Could serve as a wakeup call to many establishments that they’ve been missing a revenue-generating event each year.
  • Fans can bring non-fans with them to introduce them to the sport. (This can also be done while watching at home)
  • High Schools and other academic institutions can televise the tournament in their auditoriums and gyms. I’m betting the NCAA would set a reasonable fee for the rights to do this for schools, etc. 
  • High School and youth coaches can hold pizza parties, etc, at someone house to promote the sport, show the kids high-level wrestling and build camaraderie among the team. 
  • Every one of us should post some wrestling pics, memes, etc, during the tournament. Our social media friends should all know what we’re watching, and may even tune in themselves. 

Now, all of the above is already being done to some degree in many places. This unprecedented situation could be viewed as a catalyst for growing our sport instead of just focusing on the obvious negatives.

As wrestlers and fans, I suggest we all consider various ways to get “new eyeballs” on the mat action during the tournament.

It’s not about completely stopping the spread of the disease anymore, that ship has sailed. It’s about slowing down the virus so not everyone is sick at once and thereby collapsing our healthcare facilities. Last thing we want is rationing of care at ED and ICU’s. If you have monster events-you will create huge clusters of newly infected.

Edited by Force118

1 minute ago, Old Corps said:

I think the right call is being made, even though it’s painful to those planning to attend, the wrestlers and others. 

That said, this decision surfaces some positive opportunities!

• Fans can contact local sports bars, etc., and ask to have the event televised and then ensure folks show up. Could serve as a wakeup call to many establishments that they’ve been missing a revenue-generating event each year.
  • Fans can bring non-fans with them to introduce them to the sport. (This can also be done while watching at home)
  • High Schools and other academic institutions can televise the tournament in their auditoriums and gyms. I’m betting the NCAA would set a reasonable fee for the rights to do this for schools, etc. 
  • High School and youth coaches can hold pizza parties, etc, at someone house to promote the sport, show the kids high-level wrestling and build camaraderie among the team. 
  • Every one of us should post some wrestling pics, memes, etc, during the tournament. Our social media friends should all know what we’re watching, and may even tune in themselves. 

Now, all of the above is already being done to some degree in many places. This unprecedented situation could be viewed as a catalyst for growing our sport instead of just focusing on the obvious negatives.

As wrestlers and fans, I suggest we all consider various ways to get “new eyeballs” on the mat action during the tournament.

Great advice!