Things seem to be trending against this tournament occurring. If we have to ban attendance at schools and all unnecessary travel, ban the remaining NBA season, stop travel with Europe ... how can actual wrestling with 330 wrestlers be justified? 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Things seem to be trending against this tournament occurring. If we have to ban attendance at schools and all unnecessary travel, ban the remaining NBA season, stop travel with Europe ... how can actual wrestling with 330 wrestlers be justified? 

We are banning non USA traveling here from Europe.  Shutting down Universities different you are talking about maybe 50k kids interacting mingling etc vs 33 wrestler wt class who actually only contact maybe 5 others

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Sure, but which way would you rather error?  This way risks nobody's life.

Vak:

I have a lot of respect for you and your years of fair minded and imo, even handed analysis.  However, we risk our lives and limbs everyday. A broken neck, a poorly timed entrance into oncoming traffic or an off chance salmonella laced meal at Chipolte.  You know what I mean.  We (wrestlers) ARE modern day Gladiators!  

Let them wrestle in front of adoring fans, especially the seniors (Athletes that is, not us old folks), is my opinion! They will never be afforded another opportunity as unique as this.  

Now my rant on group think...."we're all going to perish in 2000 from Y2K, trust us"  "aaahh  emm, we meant, Global Warming, 2010 and you are toast, ice berg melting, flooding, New York city underwater, etc."  "Trust us, we're educated!"  "AAAhhh....eeeemmm, now we have to say, ""GLOBAL EXISTENTIAL CLIMATE CHANGE ( we can add a word and change a word so no matter if it is hotter or cooler, they will think we're REALLY smart this time!"  And now, YOU ONLY HAVE 12 YEARS LEFT!!!"  yeah, yeah, yeah....read the Danish Astrophysicist who makes global warming a matter of galaxial band theory and....I guess, according to the educated idiots, I'm on borrowed time anyway.   So I want to see round two of RBY vs. Gross, Hall vs. Kemmerer, Stevenson vs. Parris and of course, Vincent vs "the BULL", IN THE COMFORT OF MY SUITE!.  I would have even invited you over for a beer.  At least then I can die a happy CORONA (not covid-19) man! God speed and go Hawks ( and gophers)!   

BTW, I was going to add, if you are flying into the twin cities to watch NCAA's on espn, I highly recommend fogo de chao!  It is a brazilian steakhouse with an almost game show quality but it is absolutely a must.  Took Eggs, Becker, Russell, Ness, my Dad and Son there and it is a real treat!  I apologize for the cross mixing of threads.  Little time in my old age.

Edited by coolbeans2

Easily justified. Managing only 330 wrestlers isn't even a fraction of a drop in the bucket of what we are dealing with right now.

Two Boeing 727's can carry all of them with room for their coaches with room to spare.

If you think the NCAA's are "trending" toward cancellation - then you must think ending all airline travel is "trending" there, too. 

7 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Easily justified. Managing only 330 wrestlers isn't even a fraction of a drop in the bucket of what we are dealing with right now.

Two Boeing 727's can carry all of them with room for their coaches with room to spare.

If you think the NCAA's are "trending" toward cancellation - then you must think ending all airline travel is "trending" there, too. 

???  To be honest, YOU never make sense to me.  What are you saying or is my CORONA (not covid-19)virus acting up again?

Why are some ppl suggesting the event be moved to a smaller venue?

Why would an event with 5000 ppl be significantly safer than one with 50,000?

(5000 is about the size of the largest cruise ship, BTW)

Edited by Full Nelson

1 minute ago, Full Nelson said:

I think its gonna look awesome in an empty 50k person stadium. It will be like seeing some post apocalyptic gladiator ****. 

1 minute ago, Full Nelson said:

I'm guessing just logistics for broadcast, controlling environment etc will be more manageable.  But plus without 40k of warm bodies in that stadium its gonna be cold, wrestlers like warm to compete.

23 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

We aren’t stopping travel from Europe. Another lie (among two glaring others in his public statement tonight). The President lied again.

21 minutes ago, ionel said:

We are banning non USA traveling here from Europe.  Shutting down Universities different you are talking about maybe 50k kids interacting mingling etc vs 33 wrestler wt class who actually only contact maybe 5 others

Do the math.  330 guys going thru practices and matches is a ton of contact. 

3 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

We aren’t stopping travel from Europe. Another lie (among two glaring others in his public statement tonight). The President lied again.

I can post 20 links to articles saying 30 day travel ban with Europe. I am aware UK excluded. 

46 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

I’m not too concerned about it. You do a good enough job of making yourself look like a fool across wrestling message boards, I don’t need to dwell on it any further.

Geezuz!  Why didn’t you just stop dwelling on page 1.giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a6b6c82456871e5976e

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

All that contact only matters if one of them have it in the first place. I would hope they test for it properly over the coming week and are conscientious enough to not attend if they have it.   Honestly, currently what are the odds that at least 1 of that 330 would have it?

Just now, TBar1977 said:

An avg team has what 6 wrestlers, they've been practicing together already.  Any one wrestler is going to face what on average 5 to 6 guys in his weight class.  Given what is going on, no reason to be on the mat or interacting with any others.  We really shouldn't see all 330 out on the warm up mats together.  Again I'm not suggesting dont cancel, just saying theres ways to manage and minimize contact.

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I can post 20 links to articles saying 30 day travel ban with Europe. I am aware UK excluded. 

I’ll entertain one last post before I put you on ignore. The acting head of US Homeland Security (who trump appointed) said it did not apply to US Citizens, legal residents, or their families. So there is no travel ban. There are restrictions on US citizens but nothing like your Dear Leader or you actually claimed.

Edited by wrestlingphish

7 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

false

2 minutes ago, GockeS said:

false

Are you saying the head of the department of homeland security does not know the presidents directives and can’t apply them appropriately? Because according to them US Citizens, legal residents, and their families can travel to and from Europe. That is not a ban and is not stopping travel from Europe. 

Edited by wrestlingphish

18 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I think its gonna look awesome in an empty 50k person stadium. It will be like seeing some post apocalyptic gladiator ****. 

Kind of ridiculous at this point - should change the venue. 

11 minutes ago, ionel said:

An avg team has what 6 wrestlers, they've been practicing together already.  Any one wrestler is going to face what on average 5 to 6 guys in his weight class.  Given what is going on, no reason to be on the mat or interacting with any others.  We really shouldn't see all 330 out on the warm up mats together.  Again I'm not suggesting dont cancel, just saying theres ways to manage and minimize contact.

So, if your concern is of transmission, you must also know that it has had little, if ANY effect on youth.  Especially well trained athletes like wrestlers or infants, with mucus infused lungs.  It is killing mostly the elderly and the congestively ill people.  What is your concern?

Edited by coolbeans2

2 minutes ago, coolbeans2 said:

So, if your concern is of transmission, you must also know that it has had little, if ANY effect on youth.  Especially well trained athletes like wrestlers or infants.  It is killing mostly the elderly and the congestively ill people.  what is your concern?

Is the R0 issue.  The young can carry and transmit even though most of them will be fine.

16 minutes ago, coolbeans2 said:

So, if your concern is of transmission, you must also know that it has had little, if ANY effect on youth.  Especially well trained athletes like wrestlers or infants, with mucus infused lungs.  It is killing mostly the elderly and the congestively ill people.  What is your concern?

The congestively ill people are still people.

Edited by madcat11