Sign in to follow this  
Katie

Will the NCAA test for COVID-19?

It seems like the NCAA made the right decision by holding athletic events without fans. But what about the safety of the athletes themselves? Shouldn't the athletes be able to compete without wondering whether they're being exposed to COVID-19? If the NBA took the drastic step of suspending its season, it seems that the NCAA should, at the very least, test the athletes.

They absolutely should but the issue is there aren’t enough tests available to test every athlete. The criteria right now in some places is you have to have a fever and then have to get a flu test and only then can you get the test. 

EDIT: It would seem unfair to test a bunch of college athletes who aren’t at risk when you could use those tests to test elderly and truly at risk folks. The tests are in short supply. 

Edited by BigTimeFan

Because of the bottleneck at testing facilities and lack of tests nationwide, it’s unlikely they would do any tests as a precautionary measure or even get them back in time if they did. You have to be showing severe symptoms to be tested at all.

Edited by Force118

1 minute ago, Force118 said:

Because of the bottleneck at testing facilities and lack of tests nationwide, it’s unlikely they would do any tests as a precautionary measure or get them back in time. You would have to be showing severe symptoms to be testing

So that sounds like they would not test athletes, but then their wrestling could potentially be a future health issue. Seems like a no win situation.

3 minutes ago, Force118 said:

Because of the bottleneck at testing facilities and lack of tests nationwide, it’s unlikely they would do any tests as a precautionary measure or even get them back in time if they did. You have to be showing severe symptoms to be tested at all.

Well put. And the estimates right now are they have the capacity to test 15,000 people per day. Maybe that’s true. That sounds like a lot but there are fifty stares so that’s 300 per state and a backlog of people who need to be tested, loads of people who may have it and are truly at risk. Not a chance they would test a bunch of insanely healthy athletes in the prime of their lives. 

Just to be clear - we have a shortage of tests. We don't have enough tests. This is a problem.

Our leadership in DC hasn't come out and said it, but it is a fact.

My point isn't to be critical, my point is to call out all everyone in DC. Both parties, all areas of government. We should be hearing the truth because we all deserve to know.

Why do I keep banging this same drum? Because the federal government is where it gets it done, and right now that group isn't being open and honest.

There is little excuse why the NCAA tournament shouldn't happen without the fans. But logic needs to dictate, not political BS.

Good

49 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

They absolutely should but the issue is there aren’t enough tests available to test every athlete. The criteria right now in some places is you have to have a fever and then have to get a flu test and only then can you get the test. 

EDIT: It would seem unfair to test a bunch of college athletes who aren’t at risk when you could use those tests to test elderly and truly at risk folks. The tests are in short supply. 

Good point about the shortage of tests. I guess the options are: 1) cancel the NCAA tournament; 2) let the athletes assume the risk of being exposed to COVID-19 (and of potentially passing it on to others); or 3) suspend the tournament in the hopes that there will come a time when it will be safe to move forward, whether by responsibly coming into possession of a bunch of tests, or by waiting out the pandemic. A very tough situation.

Edited by Katie

16 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Just to be clear - we have a shortage of tests. We don't have enough tests. This is a problem.

Our leadership in DC hasn't come out and said it, but it is a fact.

My point isn't to be critical, my point is to call out all everyone in DC. Both parties, all areas of government. We should be hearing the truth because we all deserve to know.

Why do I keep banging this same drum? Because the federal government is where it gets it done, and right now that group isn't being open and honest.

There is little excuse why the NCAA tournament shouldn't happen without the fans. But logic needs to dictate, not political BS.

Not sure where you get that but report has been we have test kits but turnaround time takes a couple days to send to labs & get results back.  

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

Not sure where you get that but report has been we have test kits but turnaround time takes a couple days to send to labs & get results back.  

It is real. Among others, from USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/03/11/coronavirus-covid-19-response-hurt-by-shortage-testing-components/5013586002/

A shortage of a testing component is hobbling the U.S. battle against COVID-19 as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases rises. 

Earlier testing was marred by problems that produced potentially inaccurate results. As U.S. testing ramps up, some labs have run short on the kits and components needed to determine whether samples taken from ailing patients confirm the presence of the novel coronavirus.

The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the USA rose to 1,050, and there have been 29 deaths, as of Wednesday morning, according to Johns Hopkins University.

In some cases, the shortage prompted lab personnel to borrow components from colleagues using similar kits for testing unrelated to COVID-19, said Marc Lipsitch, a Harvard University epidemiologist. The extent of the problem could not immediately be determined.

15 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Hold on, I thought the tests were perfect. If that's not true, why was I told otherwise?

Edited by russelscout

13 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Hold on, I thought the tests were perfect. If that's not true, why was I told otherwise?

I've heard the tests the Chinese are using are more accurate than the ones the USA is using, as well. Don't know how true that is but it stands to reason: they've had more exposure to it, more time to hone their testing for it. Too bad the POTUS fired the epidemiology experts and gutted the CDC 2 years ago, we'd be in a lot better place right now.

The shortage in kits and testing infrastructure is essentially the reason why schools, sports leagues, corporations, event organizers, etc. have to do the next best thing, which is err on the side of caution and undergo containment & prevention protocol so that the virus doesn’t spiral completely out of control. Things are getting bad, but it probably isn’t anywhere close to as bad as it could be.

Just now, TobusRex said:

I've heard the tests the Chinese are using are more accurate than the ones the USA is using, as well. Don't know how true that is but it stands to reason: they've had more exposure to it, more time to hone their testing for it. Too bad the POTUS fired the epidemiology experts and gutted the CDC 2 years ago, we'd be in a lot better place right now.

Yeah, not good.

21 hours ago, pamela said:

The shortage in kits and testing infrastructure is essentially the reason why schools, sports leagues, corporations, event organizers, etc. have to do the next best thing, which is err on the side of caution and undergo containment & prevention protocol so that the virus doesn’t spiral completely out of control. Things are getting bad, but it probably isn’t anywhere close to as bad as it could be.

According to infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm, part of the problem is that people are infectious before they have symptoms. And all COVID-19 carriers are very infectious. They can pass it along simply by sharing the same air as other people. Further, even if someone who is infected has mild symptoms, the person they pass it on to can die.

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

According to infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm, part of the problem is that people are infectious before they have symptoms. And all COVID-19 carriers are very infectious. They can pass it along simply by sharing the same air as other people. Further, even if someone who is infected has mild symptoms, the person they pass it on to can die.

+1!

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

Plus since you know who ordered the feds to keep all the info on COVID-19 under wraps (to ostensibly prevent damage to the economy) people are ignorant of the symptoms, which just aggravates the situation further. This thing has been bungled from the start and isn't getting any better.

What we need here is a rapid coronavirus test like exists for the flu.  Unfortunately that does not yet exist.  Wait a minute, since there is a rapid flu test, should the NCAA test for the flu?  FUD FUD FUD.

10 hours ago, Katie said:

It seems like the NCAA made the right decision by holding athletic events without fans. But what about the safety of the athletes themselves? Shouldn't the athletes be able to compete without wondering whether they're being exposed to COVID-19? If the NBA took the drastic step of suspending its season, it seems that the NCAA should, at the very least, test the athletes.

We don't have enough kits to test everyone as it is, why waste the ones we have on the young and healthy?

5 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

As of only a day or two ago, that same you know who had this quote - “It will go away, just stay calm."

I posted it twice and both of my posts have since been deleted. Not cool.

This is not the time for censorship about a global health emergency.

MAGA

9 hours ago, Katie said:

Is it really likely to be spread through breathing?

According to WHO, each infected person infects another 2-2.5.   If you can get it just from breathing, I'd think that number would be a lot higher.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200306-sitrep-46-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=96b04adf_2