Sign in to follow this  
77again

Harvard is out. What Universities will be next?

The Ivy League cancelled all spring sport activities but left it up to the individual schools as to winter sports.  I haven't seen anything about Harvard dropping out of the NCAAs for wrestling.

8 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

The Ivy League cancelled all spring sport activities but left it up to the individual schools as to winter sports.  I haven't seen anything about Harvard dropping out of the NCAAs for wrestling.

That is such a shame for the athletes who have worked so hard for this! Why not at least let them compete in an empty stadium? Has this virus ever killed anyone that is in their early 20s and is as healthy as an elite athlete?

11 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

That is such a shame for the athletes who have worked so hard for this! Why not at least let them compete in an empty stadium? Has this virus ever killed anyone that is in their early 20s and is as healthy as an elite athlete?

No, but that is not the point. The point is that they want to take steps to stop the spread. The healthy 20 something athlete will probably be fine, but what about the people they might come in contact with, and what about the people those people might come in contact with? 

1 hour ago, ptz305 said:

No, but that is not the point. The point is that they want to take steps to stop the spread. The healthy 20 something athlete will probably be fine, but what about the people they might come in contact with, and what about the people those people might come in contact with? 

Why don’t they do this for the flu then? Because it’s impossible to limit all human contact. If the wrestlers don’t currently have it, they are not spreading it to each other. Letting them compete is no risk. The spectators are the risk of bringing in the disease.

Well, could the HArvard guys go without coaches, Hitch hiking there would not be a good Idea (remember Kansas State) 

Somewhere the real UNIBOMBER is laughing at us

Edited by RichB

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

When Harvard did this, I thought it would create a domino effect. Really surprised all the other Ivys are still on board.

Yah, I’m guessing the dominoes simply haven’t fallen yet but I also expected the others to follow suit pretty quickly. The Ivy athletic depts are much more beholden to their parent institutions, who are in turn very endowment-dependent and hence risk averse about these sort of things. All the Ivies except I think Cornell are either on or about to go on spring break, so that could be another factor in the announcements.

43 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Why don’t they do this for the flu then? Because it’s impossible to limit all human contact. If the wrestlers don’t currently have it, they are not spreading it to each other. Letting them compete is no risk. The spectators are the risk of bringing in the disease.

Not showing symptoms doesn't mean they aren't carrying. Apparently young kids aren't showing any symptoms but are carrying.

3 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

And Disneyland is still taking tickets at the gate...........smells fishy to me..................

Wow. Crazy bc I know Shanghai and Tokyo Disneylands are closed or were.

Edited by russelscout

3 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Dude this is a public health crisis. This is way more important than any individual. 

sucks for them, but it is the reality. 

If they hold the tournament, they will further spread this disease. 

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Wow. Crazy bc I know Shanghai and Tokyo Disneylands are closed or were.

So why not the US if it is so contageous and we are worried about thousands of people in one spot going home after exposure to thousands of people.....

55 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

You're right. So because we don't do it for the flu, we should just continue to act negligently rather than run the risk of appearing hypocritical. 

I believe very strongly that the effects of the reaction to this virus will cause much more long term negative effects and human misery than the virus itself.  In no way do I mean this to be insensitive to any individual or family that loses a loved one.  I am talking macro effects here.

For perspective - about 10,000 people die every day in the USA and more than 250,000 worldwide die every day.

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Dude this is a public health crisis. This is way more important than any individual. 

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

Money. 

So don't try to sell me the public health crisis...........

These healthy low risk group wrestlers are more likely to be exposed to something hanging around the general public in everyday life than during a tournament in a mostly empty building not too mention the coaches will have them in their rooms if not at the event. People act like everyone would be hiding at home if they were not going to be at the tournament wrestling. These thousands of fans and the athletes are walking around going to work and doing their thing every day. 

Just now, Housebuye said:

Dude it’s the flu not Ebola or the disease from Contagion...staph infections are more dangerous for a wrestler then this flu. I think no fans in the arena is a good idea and honestly more then likely everything will be fine