Jump to content
Marcus Cisero

Cancel the NCAA Wrestling Tournament – It’s the Right Thing To Do

Recommended Posts

Imagine wrestling from a young age, grinding hard both in committing every free moment to your sport, keeping up your grades and being in multiple AP / IB courses, writing exceptional entrance essays, and doing equally hard work to stay at the top of the wrestling game and on top of the difficult courses, only to have something like this happen, something so rare that it only happened once before during WW2 in the 1940’s.

Think about how the lack of a crowd may impact these wrestlers.  I’m sure most would agree, how the athlete competes is partly impacted by the crowd, whether positively or negatively. The crowd gives them that drive, the push, the need to not only win, but to put on a show and make their family, friends and fans happy. The atmosphere with 1000’s of fans cheering your name, clapping for you, standing for you and even witnessing you win a national title has to be for the athlete, like no other.

Then there is this to consider.

What if one of these brave healthy young men – even just one, catches something while flying in, driving in or from staying in a hotel?  What if a wrestler (who will remain nameless) who already has medical challenges on and off the mat on a daily basis contracts this virus resulting in a more difficult situation? What if a wrestler who appears to be healthy on the outside, yet might be predisposed to something like this because it was not known he had some other ailment brewing inside of him? What if, God forbid – someone contracts the virus and succumbs to it. I know statistically, its remote but it could happen and I do not feel we should take that chance.

As an ardent wrestling fan, and most of all a fellow human being, I say the hell with you and the hell with me.  We the fans need to set aside our disappointment and think of the wrestlers (who are 10 times more disappointed). Nothing else should matter.  For me, I suggest the NCAA cancels the wrestling tournament because the safety of these kids and everyone associated with them is first and foremost. Do I have an alternative suggestion? Nope - don’t need one. I’m just merely a fan with zero say in the matter when it involves someone else’s life. Just one man's opinion.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These kids are young and healthy, if they do contract this virus they will be able to get better. My 70 yr old dad who is 6 months removed from triple bypass surgery is the one who should stay home. Which he just told me yesterday that he won’t be making the trip to state college in April for the trials. I said that was a smart choice, I will still go if they let fans in because I am relatively young and healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't let fear, uncertainty, and doubt prevent life and this tournament from moving forward.

I like the empathy, the idea to 'do what is right', and I understand the 'young are fine' narrative.  There is larger risk that these kids could become carriers, without showing symptoms, and bring it home to their susceptible family.  That is already a risk while attending college classes, living in dorms, and attending practices.  Some infectious disease experts say it is already too late.  Infections will continue to double and this this is a disease that we must all deal with, similar to the cold and flu.  It is a selfish move to compete when one is outwardly sick but athletes do it all the time. It is a smart move to keep the fans out and if some wrestlers choose to stay home, so be it.  The show must go on folks.

Edited by jross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

These kids are young and healthy, if they do contract this virus they will be able to get better. My 70 yr old dad who is 6 months removed from triple bypass surgery is the one who should stay home. Which he just told me yesterday that he won’t be making the trip to state college in April for the trials. I said that was a smart choice, I will still go if they let fans in because I am relatively young and healthy. 

Ogal - I'm glad to learn your Dad is home recovering after heart surgery! My Mom went through that in her 60's and today she is still with me at 86.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Imagine wrestling from a young age, grinding hard both in committing every free moment to your sport, keeping up your grades and being in multiple AP / IB courses, writing exceptional entrance essays, and doing equally hard work to stay at the top of the wrestling game and on top of the difficult courses, only to have something like this happen, something so rare that it only happened once before during WW2 in the 1940’s.

Think about how the lack of a crowd may impact these wrestlers.  I’m sure most would agree, how the athlete competes is partly impacted by the crowd, whether positively or negatively. The crowd gives them that drive, the push, the need to not only win, but to put on a show and make their family, friends and fans happy. The atmosphere with 1000’s of fans cheering your name, clapping for you, standing for you and even witnessing you win a national title has to be for the athlete, like no other.

Then there is this to consider.

What if one of these brave healthy young men – even just one, catches something while flying in, driving in or from staying in a hotel?  What if a wrestler (who will remain nameless) who already has medical challenges on and off the mat on a daily basis contracts this virus resulting in a more difficult situation? What if a wrestler who appears to be healthy on the outside, yet might be predisposed to something like this because it was not known he had some other ailment brewing inside of him? What if, God forbid – someone contracts the virus and succumbs to it. I know statistically, its remote but it could happen and I do not feel we should take that chance.

As an ardent wrestling fan, and most of all a fellow human being, I say the hell with you and the hell with me.  We the fans need to set aside our disappointment and think of the wrestlers (who are 10 times more disappointed). Nothing else should matter.  For me, I suggest the NCAA cancels the wrestling tournament because the safety of these kids and everyone associated with them is first and foremost. Do I have an alternative suggestion? Nope - don’t need one. I’m just merely a fan with zero say in the matter when it involves someone else’s life. Just one man's opinion.

I agree with most of what you said... 

but the lack of a crowd impacting them? come on.

ever been to an open tourney? 

I joked that the high school basketball players would know what it was like to be a wrestler when the NSAA banned regular fans from the boys state basketball tourney this weekend. family only.

 

but i agree, you might be right.. about canceling or postponing somehow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gowrestle said:

The NCAA has not demonstrated political courage recently. I expect that if the CDC recommends canceling the tournament, 2020 will become an asterisk in NCAA tournament history. 

Banning the fans from attending will cost the hosting area millions in lost revenue.  That took courage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

What if a wrestler (who will remain nameless) who already has medical challenges on and off the mat on a daily basis contracts this virus resulting in a more difficult situation?

That would be on the wrestler to make the decision to compete or not. It would be the athlete's decision to weigh his options and chances.  Most of the athletes are not in the danger area. 

Now---what of the workers, officials, venue staff, etc?  Again, it's up to them to weigh their options and decide on their own. 
 

Quote

What if a wrestler who appears to be healthy on the outside, yet might be predisposed to something like this because it was not known he had some other ailment brewing inside of him? What if, God forbid – someone contracts the virus and succumbs to it. 

That can happen if that same athlete is walking down the street, or across campus, or at the local 7-11.  Life happens.  We need not live in fear. Fear is a down payment in a problem you may never have.  

Just my view from the cheap seats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be really interested to see what is said on FRL this morning. I know they are trying to figure out about attendance which I believe media got green lighted for. If anyone is going to find out about the tournament happening or not its going to be them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone wants to act like nothing is happening till the virus affects them or someone they know personally...

That said I would not be surprised one bit if NCAA's is cancelled or suspended indefinitely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they completely cancel the tournament will wrestlers get another year of competition eligibility? From my own team, I’d be bummed for a guy like Austin O’Conner who is well on his way to being a 4 time all American and has a fighting chance of being a national champ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

If they completely cancel the tournament will wrestlers get another year of competition eligibility? From my own team, I’d be bummed for a guy like Austin O’Conner who is well on his way to being a 4 time all American and has a fighting chance of being a national champ. 

Financially, an extra year would be a nightmare for schools. Title IX, scholarships, etc., would all have to be looked at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never really thought about this, but what if the NCAA has a clause in the contract with US Bank Stadium that gets them out of the financial obligation in the event of an "act of god"? If that is the case, canceling fans was just step 1 in the process. Money drives most decisions unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Financially, an extra year would be a nightmare for schools. Title IX, scholarships, etc., would all have to be looked at. 

I wonder if lawsuits would be a problem for the schools though. Kyle Dake liked a tweet from a Cornell lawyer along the lines of “if you lose a year of eligibility from your sport contact me.” And what about all the guys on Olympic redshirt? Kolodzik has basically ruined his final season for no reason if they cancel. 
 

I think there’s just a lot of nightmare situations from every aspect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

The Today Show? You mean the one who spawned off the vile MSNBC show? Only ****’s and ****’s watch that news network. You know who else watches that filth? – the 50% of the population who does not work and lives off the backs of the other 50% who do work.  You know the takers vs. the  makers. I suspect with the amount of time you spend in here hourly / daily you’re one of “them,” aren’t you – a bottom dwelling unemployed bum, huh.  Lol, what a flaming lefty – probably one of the worst examples I’ve seen in a long long time, and what makes that so disheartening is the fact that you’re in here polluting this wrestling community with your corrosive beliefs, and based on the number of posts, you’ve been doing it for many years.

As far as our Vice President Mr. Pence, why he even elected to go on the sh*t show is beyond me. Those quota hires despise the country, just like you.  Go out a get a job already you miserable little man, I’m tired of supporting you and your lazy low IQ tribe.

Those that go to work for a living and those that go to VOTE for a living. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gopher82 said:

After reading this forum I have been led to believe some Penn State fans would rather cancel the entire event then see Iowa win a championship! #FACTS

That would have as much foundation as stating that only Iowa fans want to risk the health of their wrestlers and respective communities so that they can finally see their team win a title after all these years. Both statements would be really dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 82bordeaux said:

I never really thought about this, but what if the NCAA has a clause in the contract with US Bank Stadium that gets them out of the financial obligation in the event of an "act of god"? If that is the case, canceling fans was just step 1 in the process. Money drives most decisions unfortunately.

Was listening to a discussion on this the other day and basically all of these organizers and venues have insurance policies should their events get cancelled. HOWEVER....they stated that standard in these contracts is for the policy NOT to cover biological events that cause the cancellation.  That will certainly be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stp said:

Postpone and give a weight allowance.

Postpone for how long? I think the scary thing is, we haven’t yet reached the thick of the outbreak. I wish it was possible to move the tournament date too, but it would be unreasonable to ask these wrestlers to keep training, keep managing their weight (even with an allowance), keep working towards peaking at some uncertain event that may or may not  safely take place until well into next school year. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pamela said:

Postpone for how long? I think the scary thing is, we haven’t yet reached the thick of the outbreak. I wish it was possible to move the tournament date too, but it would be unreasonable to ask these wrestlers to keep training, keep managing their weight (even with an allowance), keep working towards peaking at some uncertain event that may or may not  safely take place until well into next school year. :(

It's only going to get worse the next few months.   The finals on July 4th (Saturday) sounds like a perfect weekend for the NCAA wrestling tournament.

Edited by stp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...