Marcus Cisero

Cancel the NCAA Wrestling Tournament – It’s the Right Thing To Do

1 minute ago, stp said:

It's only going to get worse the next few months.   A July 4th NCAA wrestling tournament sounds fun.

I think it could stretch out longer, but it depends on a lot of things, like social prevention, testing and treatment. A July resolution assumes that the Olympics aren’t at risk and that the outbreak doesn’t hit the southern hemisphere when their winter rolls around. We’ll see. I agree that July in MN is prob very nice.

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

If they completely cancel the tournament will wrestlers get another year of competition eligibility? From my own team, I’d be bummed for a guy like Austin O’Conner who is well on his way to being a 4 time all American and has a fighting chance of being a national champ. 

I don’t think it’s feasible for everyone to keep there eligibility, I’ve been racking my brain figuring out a way it would even be possible and I’ve come up with nothing, it’s a shame, probably the only thing that can stop Spencer lee from winning 4 titles and not to mention guys like cenzo, hall, Moore never getting another chance to wrestle folk style pretty terrible situation 

I wonder if lawsuits would be a problem for the schools though. Kyle Dake liked a tweet from a Cornell lawyer along the lines of “if you lose a year of eligibility from your sport contact me.” And what about all the guys on Olympic redshirt? Kolodzik has basically ruined his final season for no reason if they cancel. 

I think there’s just a lot of nightmare situations from every aspect. 

If you lose a year, contact me

If you contact Corona, contact me

I wonder if lawsuits would be a problem for the schools though. Kyle Dake liked a tweet from a Cornell lawyer along the lines of “if you lose a year of eligibility from your sport contact me.” And what about all the guys on Olympic redshirt? Kolodzik has basically ruined his final season for no reason if they cancel. 

I think there’s just a lot of nightmare situations from every aspect. 

It also sucks for guys who would have punched their tickets to OTTs by way of an NCAA title. Although that assumes trials and the qualification procedures remain intact.

4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Imagine wrestling from a young age, grinding hard both in committing every free moment to your sport, keeping up your grades and being in multiple AP / IB courses, writing exceptional entrance essays, and doing equally hard work to stay at the top of the wrestling game and on top of the difficult courses, only to have something like this happen, something so rare that it only happened once before during WW2 in the 1940’s.

Think about how the lack of a crowd may impact these wrestlers.  I’m sure most would agree, how the athlete competes is partly impacted by the crowd, whether positively or negatively. The crowd gives them that drive, the push, the need to not only win, but to put on a show and make their family, friends and fans happy. The atmosphere with 1000’s of fans cheering your name, clapping for you, standing for you and even witnessing you win a national title has to be for the athlete, like no other.

Then there is this to consider.

What if one of these brave healthy young men – even just one, catches something while flying in, driving in or from staying in a hotel?  What if a wrestler (who will remain nameless) who already has medical challenges on and off the mat on a daily basis contracts this virus resulting in a more difficult situation? What if a wrestler who appears to be healthy on the outside, yet might be predisposed to something like this because it was not known he had some other ailment brewing inside of him? What if, God forbid – someone contracts the virus and succumbs to it. I know statistically, its remote but it could happen and I do not feel we should take that chance.

As an ardent wrestling fan, and most of all a fellow human being, I say the hell with you and the hell with me.  We the fans need to set aside our disappointment and think of the wrestlers (who are 10 times more disappointed). Nothing else should matter.  For me, I suggest the NCAA cancels the wrestling tournament because the safety of these kids and everyone associated with them is first and foremost. Do I have an alternative suggestion? Nope - don’t need one. I’m just merely a fan with zero say in the matter when it involves someone else’s life. Just one man's opinion.

Shut up! They could catch it hanging around where they live too. You act like just because you go somewhere else that would be the only way someone would catch it. Anytime you are walking around other people there could be people there who just traveled from somewhere. 

Edited by BLT
Add more content.

53 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Zero chance this happens now. 2 Utah Jazz have now tested positive.

They are all going to test positive because Gobert the first player confirmed with it was joking around touching everyone and all the reporters microphones mocking the protocol, then 5 hours later he gets diagnosed with it...I don’t understand what the Utah Jazz have to do with wrestling...they are a professional team that’s been flying all over the country every day, meeting with reporters who are from all over the world, going out to clubs at night with 1000s of people , then going to arenas with 1000s of people, and now a player has it and everyone is shocked? Seriously? these college kids are at a lot less risk of exposure then pro athletes traveling the country every night...and we re talking about 1 final tournament not 1/3 of the season and 3 and 1/2 months of playoffs here 

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

They are all going to test positive because Gobert the first player confirmed with it was joking around touching everyone and all the reporters microphones mocking the protocol, then 5 hours later he gets diagnosed with it...I don’t understand what the Utah Jazz have to do with wrestling...they are a professional team that’s been flying all over the country every day, meeting with reporters who are from all over the world, going out to clubs at night with 1000s of people , then going to arenas with 1000s of people, and now a player has it and everyone is shocked? Seriously? these college kids are at a lot less risk of exposure then pro athletes traveling the country every night...and we re talking about 1 final tournament not 1/3 of the season and 3 and 1/2 months of playoffs here 

I just think the pressure will be too great and the dominos are already falling. Today we saw several major college basketball conference tournaments get cancelled and those are much bigger money makers than wrestling.

Edited by DocBZ

4 hours ago, RED said:

Can you imagine the hit ($) the NCAA is going to take?  I can't imagine stadiums come cheap these days, especially for 3 days!  

Thought the same thing myself.  Minneapolis-St. Paul will lose out on big dollars.  5 days of fans (3 days of the tournament + 2 travel days) worth of 'economy' that won't happen.  Any guesses on what that estimate might be?

5 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

I just think the pressure will be too great and the dominos are already falling. Today we saw several major college basketball conference tournaments get cancelled and those are much bigger money makers than wrestling.

Wrestling has 1 tournament and 330 athletes left in one location that’s it....basketball still has conferences and the whole drawn out 3 week ncaa tournament, with multiple travel to different arenas 

im not saying that I’m guaranteeing it’s going to happen, but you can’t compare it to sports with 1/3 of there season left

Edited by Antitroll2828

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wrestling has 1 tournament and 330 athletes left in one location that’s it....basketball still has conferences and the whole drawn out 3 week ncaa tournament, with multiple travel to different arenas 

It's gonna get cancelled man. I'm not saying its right or wrong but the writing is on the wall.

ACC and B12 BB tourney cancelled now as well. That makes all conference tourneys that were to be played today now cancelled. I"m telling you the dominos are falling.

7 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

ACC and B12 BB tourney cancelled now as well. That makes all conference tourneys that were to be played today now cancelled. I"m telling you the dominos are falling.

Many of folks were posting this yesterday.  It appears folks are finally coming to terms with the inevitable...

26 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Except for the Ivy League, I think most are not cancelling games, just excluding fans.

12 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

NO NO NOT: ACC Tournament to continue with no fans due to coronavirus fears

3 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Again the pressure will be too great and there are legal considerations as well...

Dominos...

^this...

if they cancel it will not be from a legitimate health concern, but, more from a public black eye from all the fear mongering...

which is absolutely ridiculous

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

^this...

if they cancel it will not be from a legitimate health concern, but, more from a public black eye from all the fear mongering...

which is absolutely ridiculous

Fear mongering? Huh?

Hey, here's an idea. Why not ask the WRESTLERS what THEY think. Why not ask the wrestlers PARENTS what THEY think.  Everyone seems so generous with someone else's son's health but I for one want to know what they think. Don't you?