Jump to content
russelscout

Why not award by seed?

Recommended Posts

Most will think I am just trying to give Iowa a title, but really all those guys who did EARN a seed. Who did the work to put themselves in the top 8. Is it a consolation prize? Yes, but I would believe that Kollin Moore earned that title. I would believe that Pletcher earned it and that doesn't take anything from Nick Lee who had a great shot too, but this is what we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got no problem with it. Those seeds are based on data from a season's worth of work and better than the giant void that is left otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

There's nothing to award.  "Top Seed @ 197 pounds" isn't a real thing.  They can still award the Hodge, Gorrian, Most Dominant, etc.

Tom Brands surely wins Coach of the Year.

They are the champs. IT was a year of wrestling that got those seeds. People aren't randomly placed in those positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, russelscout said:

They are the champs. IT was a year of wrestling that got those seeds. People aren't randomly placed in those positions.

So, do they just mail Gable Steveson his medal?

Sucks for guys like Chaz Tucker who went undefeated and didn't even "place" top 3.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just postpone it a month (hoping this starts to pass) and shrink the field by half.  Hate to say that but it would hopefully get the event done easier and still crown the most likely AAs.  The rest can still at least call themselves qualifiers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There really isn't a great answer if they don't reschedule.  Likely it will just become a "lost year".

I don’t see them rescheduling, also I understand that everyone that earned their number 1 seeds based off the criteria. Take 133 for example Tucker is undefeated (even though way easier schedule) only off the criteria is he the 3 instead of the 1.

I just don’t think it’s viable to reward a championship based off earning the number 1 seed. Just my opinion


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, what wrestler is going to want to be crowned national champion just because he was top seeded heading in?  Unless you've wrestled and beat everyone in the tournament, then it's completely meaningless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Seriously, what wrestler is going to want to be crowned national champion just because he was top seeded heading in?  Unless you've wrestled and beat everyone in the tournament, then it's completely meaningless.

this

participation trophies mean nothing. this kind of seed trophy, NO participation, would mean less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wanted to see if the Huskers could continue to wrestle above their seeds in the post season and bring home a trophy.  The only way to bring home that trophy was to wrestle the whole tournament, which is now impossible.

I guess a runner-up at the big tens will have to do.  GBR!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Seriously, what wrestler is going to want to be crowned national champion just because he was top seeded heading in?  Unless you've wrestled and beat everyone in the tournament, then it's completely meaningless.

They don't wrestle and beat everyone in the tournament anyway. I got no problem with the guys ranked #1 being called champs. 

Lee a no brainer.

Rivera just beat the other best guys.

Pletcher just won #1 vs #2

Lugo just won #1 vs #2

Dieken has beaten the others.

Marinelli just won #1 vs #2

Hall just won #1 vs #2. 

184- only weight not real clear.

Moore has clearly been the best.

Steveson just won #1 vs #2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Seriously, what wrestler is going to want to be crowned national champion just because he was top seeded heading in?  Unless you've wrestled and beat everyone in the tournament, then it's completely meaningless.

They don't now, but when they are 50- 60 years old and they have a story to tell.... Idk. Im just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiefStormSky said:

I really wanted to see if the Huskers could continue to wrestle above their seeds in the post season and bring home a trophy.  The only way to bring home that trophy was to wrestle the whole tournament, which is now impossible.

I guess a runner-up at the big tens will have to do.  GBR!

GBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Just postpone it a month (hoping this starts to pass) and shrink the field by half.  Hate to say that but it would hopefully get the event done easier and still crown the most likely AAs.  The rest can still at least call themselves qualifiers.  

I do not understand why we can't at the very least have a tournament with the top 8 of each weight class in a month or 2.  I just don't get it.  It doesn't have to be televised on ESPN.  Wrestling is such an easy sport to do it----you can do the entire championshps in 1 day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planting a seed is one event, the growth of the seed is another; battling/competing against the elements of weather and hungry critters challenges the seed's progress survival and status. No challenge, no status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be an answer.  I would rather do that than nothing.  But here is my problem with that: 

 

Guys like Moore and Lee are obvious champions.  It would have taken a huge upset for them to lose. 

But who can we crown Pletcher, Lugo, the Bull, Gable, or Hall?  They clearly aren't the best.  Gable dodged Mason.  I think they need 1 more.  The other guys are 1-1.  I guess we could go with the winner of the most prestigious tournament- the big 10- as the champion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

That would be an answer.  I would rather do that than nothing.  But here is my problem with that: 

 

Guys like Moore and Lee are obvious champions.  It would have taken a huge upset for them to lose. 

But who can we crown Pletcher, Lugo, the Bull, Gable, or Hall?  They clearly aren't the best.  Gable dodged Mason.  I think they need 1 more.  The other guys are 1-1.  I guess we could go with the winner of the most prestigious tournament- the big 10- as the champion. 

Gable dodged  Mason by taking him down at will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gable dodged  Mason by taking him down at will.
Pletcher jumped levels in defeating #1Nickly.

Pletcher is without a doubt #1.

He earned it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...