russelscout

Why not award by seed?

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Thats for now. 

That's my point.  Why doesn't wrestling wait and see. 

But in reality, with title 9, if you allow one sport to post pone you would have to allow every winter and spring sport.  That's probably the problem. Not wrestlng in particular. 

9 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

That's my point.  Why doesn't wrestling wait and see. 

But in reality, with title 9, if you allow one sport to post pone you would have to allow every winter and spring sport.  That's probably the problem. Not wrestlng in particular. 

That I can't tell you. On the emergency FRL episode, most of the coaches didn't have a clue what was going to happen.

13 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

Pletcher jumped levels in defeating #1Nickly.

Pletcher is without a doubt #1.

#1 seed because he just beat Lee by 1 pt at B10's.  But didn't Lee beat Pletcher by 4 less than a month ago?  Might have earned the #1 seed, but I'd hardly say he's #1 without a doubt.  Which is exactly why you can't award by seed.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Most will think I am just trying to give Iowa a title, but really all those guys who did EARN a seed. Who did the work to put themselves in the top 8. Is it a consolation prize? Yes, but I would believe that Kollin Moore earned that title. I would believe that Pletcher earned it and that doesn't take anything from Nick Lee who had a great shot too, but this is what we have.

I had this same exact thought, but somehow you are able to post all day long everyday and I can't. 

The seeds are based the whole season and who won the most recent matches in some cases - it is a predictor of sorts of how they would end up - mail them the medals by seed. Looks like the B10 was the closest thing to the championship this year. 

5 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

#1 seed because he just beat Lee by 1 pt at B10's.  But didn't Lee beat Pletcher by 4 less than a month ago?  Might have earned the #1 seed, but I'd hardly say he's #1 without a doubt.  Which is exactly why you can't award by seed.

He won the most recent match up which is more of an indicator of a match a month ago. 

He won the last time they wrestled. He's the consensus #1. Pletcher really jumped levels.  

His double leg takedown of Nickly was impressive, wasn't it. He just wanted it more. PA Strong!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

How about this partial solution: all the guys who haven't used a RS, but who earned a trip to NCAAs, be given a RS for this season? Seems fair to some, but not all, but with the number of schollies available and young guys wanting to wrestle in college next year who need schollies can everybody just get another year? 

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

How about this partial solution: all the guys who haven't used a RS, but who earned a trip to NCAAs, be given a RS for this season? Seems fair to some, but not all, but with the number of schollies available and young guys wanting to wrestle in college next year who need schollies can everybody just get another year? 

Give everyone who competed this year an extra year and raise the scholarship limit for the 2021 season to 10.9.

I would prefer this year not counting against eligibility. But if its going to count, the only arguement against it is that Iowa would then win the title, and who wants that? Its better to just throw away the season. All joking aside, if they dont give eligibility, and just throw away the season, that is a shame. Most of those wrestlers would likely have done a tournament anyway even without spectators. Why should Lee lose out on possible 4 time status, Moore lose out on a potential championship, any number of wrestlers looking to pull off a shocking upset and reach their goals.

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Give everyone who competed this year an extra year and raise the scholarship limit for the 2021 season to 10.9.

Hmmm.....I like raising the scholly limit and giving another year to qualifiers, but the number would probably have to be a little higher. But consider that wrestling is clinging on at most schools and a net money loser (usually). No way schools are going to just give in and award more schollies, which largely come out of their own pocket (albeit probably through donors at a lot of places). 

I think, maybe, the guys who haven't used RS yet should be able to claim one for this season, provided the NCAA gives them the dispensation to do so.  That would keep some of the guys from getting screwed, at least. 

100% they should award AA's and National Titles by seed. It is not ideal and can never be the same, but these guys have absolutely earned it. Iowa should also be awarded the National title. As crazy as this may seem in the wrestling world, this is how football named a national champion for 100+ years and how sports like basketball and football have always named their All-Americans. 

It's not perfect, but it is better than nothing. 

100% they should award AA's and National Titles by seed. It is not ideal and can never be the same, but these guys have absolutely earned it. Iowa should also be awarded the National title. As crazy as this may seem in the wrestling world, this is how football named a national champion for 100+ years and how sports like basketball and football have always named their All-Americans. 
It's not perfect, but it is better than nothing. 
Great post. Stop making sense!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk