Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

2 scenarios

14 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

What is the competitive spirit of most wrestlers? Do you think guys like Moore, Cenzo, Lugo, Lee, and Steveson would compete in a tournament which is aimed at determined the best, even if it's not for the official NCAA title?  I figured most guys would be anxious to prove they are the best, but do you think I am gauging that correctly?

Yah, I think there's no question these wrestlers would want an opportunity to prove they are the best. I was just saying that it doesn't have to be a Flo event, esp since that would mean that the event would be likely behind a paywall, whereas ESPN could have drawn new viewers, or through BTS or a similar organization the proceeds from the event could benefit the sport.

20 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Why couldn't a private investor set up a tournament with the top 8 of each weight class?

Nobody is saying they couldn't , just like because people are not in direct agreement with you does not mean they don't want a tournament or think there shouldn't be a tournament like you keep claiming.  Some may have experience in putting on big events, and can refer back to all the complicated logistics that it takes, particularly on the fly; the liability involved, particularly of an unsanctioned event that is being put on because the sanctioning body cancelled the real event in the face of a global crisis; and all of the other very numerous factors that go into putting on a national event.  It's not that people don't want it to happen, its because they realize the reality that its not going to happen.

43 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Nobody is saying they couldn't , just like because people are not in direct agreement with you does not mean they don't want a tournament or think there shouldn't be a tournament like you keep claiming.  Some may have experience in putting on big events, and can refer back to all the complicated logistics that it takes, particularly on the fly; the liability involved, particularly of an unsanctioned event that is being put on because the sanctioning body cancelled the real event in the face of a global crisis; and all of the other very numerous factors that go into putting on a national event.  It's not that people don't want it to happen, its because they realize the reality that its not going to happen.

The ncaa doesn't need to sanction an investor who wants an open wrestling tournament.  The open tournament could require that wrestlers be ranked top 8 according to FLO.  

The ufc changed a venue in 2 days from ohio to Vegas.  Don't tell me it cant be done.  People are letting the defeatist attitude take over.

If it is not the NCAA tournament than you are NOT the NCAA champion.

If anyone puts together a tournament "to see who is the best" that does not mean the winner is the best, or the national champion.  The best that day, maybe if all are there.  NCAA best, no. There is more to winning than just winning.  At the NCAA tournament, your coach plays a big part.  Things are paid for, school is excused, and helped with, food and work outs are monitored and discussed.  There just is a lot of other issues that come into play.

3 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

The ncaa doesn't need to sanction an investor who wants an open wrestling tournament.  The open tournament could require that wrestlers be ranked top 8 according to FLO.  

The ufc changed a venue in 2 days from ohio to Vegas.  Don't tell me it cant be done.  People are letting the defeatist attitude take over.

Please read what I write before you respond.  I know the NCAA doesn't need to sanction an investor.  That is exactly my point.  What I said was that investor taking on the liability of an unsanctioned event (re-read my post), that is only happening because the sanctioning body cancelled the real event due to a global crisis.    Secondly, my very first sentence that you quoted was>>>>>nobody is saying they couldn't. (re-read my post).

This is not a defeatist attitude taking over.  This is looking at the reality of logistics.  I'm not saying your idea is idiotic or insane, I'm not even saying its a bad idea.  I'm saying there's a big difference between a good idea and the complexity in its execution.  Your UFC example is apples and oranges.  They are a privately owned coorporation that is not responsible for the well beings of thousands of college students.  As a coorporation they have books worth of insurance policies in place, in which the corporation is insured, not a private individual.

I think its a great idea and would love to see it happen. I am just of the belief that because of the logistics and the liability, I doubt we find that investor.

Just now, Lurker said:

Please read what I write before you respond.  I know the NCAA doesn't need to sanction an investor.  That is exactly my point.  What I said was that investor taking on the liability of an unsanctioned event (re-read my post), that is only happening because the sanctioning body cancelled the real event due to a global crisis.    Secondly, my very first sentence that you quoted was>>>>>nobody is saying they couldn't. (re-read my post).

This is not a defeatist attitude taking over.  This is looking at the reality of logistics.  I'm not saying your idea is idiotic or insane, I'm not even saying its a bad idea.  I'm saying there's a big difference between a good idea and the complexity in its execution.  Your UFC example is apples and oranges.  They are a privately owned coorporation that is not responsible for the well beings of thousands of college students.  As a coorporation they have books worth of insurance policies in place, in which the corporation is insured, not a private individual.

I think its a great idea and would love to see it happen. I am just of the belief that because of the logistics and the liability, I doubt we find that investor.

Think the ufc could sponsor since they have insurance connections?

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I'm sorry for responding poorly

1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

If the UFC events go forth, which includes a change of venue, this should be easy.

The UFC is, again, a private corporation not responsible for the well-being of students. Additionally, they are a company that generates millions of dollars for their host. So in addition to your private investor taking on the liability of hosting an unsanctioned event that is only going on because the sanctioning body cancelled the real event due to a global crisis, what venue do you suggest would also take on that risk of liability for an unsanctioned college wrestling tournament that will generate very very little revenue?

32 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The UFC is, again, a private corporation not responsible for the well-being of students. Additionally, they are a company that generates millions of dollars for their host. So in addition to your private investor taking on the liability of hosting an unsanctioned event that is only going on because the sanctioning body cancelled the real event due to a global crisis, what venue do you suggest would also take on that risk of liability for an unsanctioned college wrestling tournament that will generate very very little revenue?

That's one of points. I believe revenue as far as TV rights would be worth it. Only sport happening. ESPN would pay.