Katie

PSA: College is not about wrestling

I hate to think that some people consider college athletics to be more important than academics.

But as we’ve seen time and time again, sacrificing your studies for wrestling is a risky gamble. One bad match, one illness, one injury, or one pandemic can derail your dreams. All your hard work and commitment can easily and permanently go down the drain. 

Let this be a reminder that college is not about wrestling. It’s an investment in your future self. 

8 minutes ago, Katie said:

I hate to think that some people consider college athletics to be more important than academics.

But as we’ve seen time and time again, sacrificing your studies for wrestling is a risky gamble. One bad match, one illness, one injury, or one pandemic can derail your dreams. All your hard work and commitment can easily and permanently go down the drain. 

Let this be a reminder that college is not about wrestling. It’s an investment in your future self. 

As someone that had to give up collegiate wrestling for my grades, I support this message. I just couldn’t balance the workload of division 1 wrestling with pre-pharmacy studies and realized something had to give. A lot of people are angry and upset and they are losing sight of the big picture. 98% of college athletes go pro in something other than sports. 

Edited by goheels1812

6 minutes ago, Katie said:

well said..

7 minutes ago, Katie said:

Then don't think it.

I have never read a single post on this board (about WRESTLING explicitly) state that the student athletes should abandon classroom studies or that wrestling is more important.  This scold post is quite unwelcome.

3 hours ago, Katie said:

Virtue signaling Hall of Fame worthy post.

3 hours ago, Katie said:

While this is absolutely true, I think it's worth noting that many of my college teammates would not have even thought about getting their college educations without wrestling being involved. 

Let's not undervalue athletics either.  I learned so much from the football field and wrestling mats.  School would not have been complete without sports for me.  Actually, this may sound barbaric, but I personally think everyone needs to get their butt whipped at least once for humility reasons.  My butt was whipped a number of times in wrestling.  

My experiences were special to me.  Now I think of these guys and gals being forced to withdraw on the highest stage.  It's sad.  Especially when many of them would have risked the virus to do their sport.  I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT THE NCAA SHOULD NOT HAVE SUSPENDED.  I"m just saying that college athletes can be multi-dimensional.  

What do you think about the basketball players whose only hope was a good showing?  

That is why I think it should have been suspended but not cancelled. 

I never smile and think about good memories from Math class or biology.  I often smile about football and wrestling.  

4 hours ago, Katie said:

Really depends. In most cases this is true... HOWEVER if you're an elite athlete with the ability to make it to the professional level that may be the ONLY reason you got into and are going to college. In those rare cases your grade in english lit 101 is really not important at all vs your next competition.

Jay Bilas pretty much debunked the assumption that all players want to compete in the postseason. A number of kids told him straight up that they didn’t want any part of March Madness, whether for safety reasons, to be with family, focus on other things or simply escape the long grind of the season.

While D1 college wrestlers are a whole different animal than basketball players, I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume that there are likely a bunch of wrestlers out there who are 100% fine with the season being over. There are bigger things out there than sports.

12 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

As someone that had to give up collegiate wrestling for my grades, I support this message. I just couldn’t balance the workload of division 1 wrestling with pre-pharmacy studies and realized something had to give. A lot of people are angry and upset and they are losing sight of the big picture. 98% of college athletes go pro in something other than sports. 

Goheels – I’m assuming you went off to become a pharmacist?  I enjoyed a fairly successful career calling on those in your industry. I vividly recall when independent Rx’s were the go-to place to get your meds and OTCs plus a lot of one-on-one friendly advice from the pharmacy owner. Those were the days when a pharmacist was truly your “neighborhood drugstore.” Today they are all but gone due to the frenzy of acquisitions via CVS, Rite-Aid, etc that took place in the 1990’s. I always had a lot of respect for pharmacists because one has to be super smart to understand all that’s involved with medicine, having to keep up with all the new drugs, precautions, etc.  You guys are in such demand today as they were back then. I remember hearing from the pharmacy owners how much their kids were being offered via sign-on bonus coming out of college if they chose their particular drug chain to work for after graduation. Congratulations for having such a respectable profession - and a good paying one too!

Edited by Marcus Cisero

11 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

Then don't think it.

I have never read a single post on this board (about WRESTLING explicitly) state that the student athletes should abandon classroom studies or that wrestling is more important.  This scold post is quite unwelcome.

Unfortunately for you Lipdrag, you did not get out of Katie’s message what that the rest of us got. She makes perfect sense so perhaps you may want to consider reading it again because it’s probably one of the best posts I’ve seen in this forum to date.

6 hours ago, pamela said:

Jay Bilas pretty much debunked the assumption that all players want to compete in the postseason. A number of kids told him straight up that they didn’t want any part of March Madness, whether for safety reasons, to be with family, focus on other things or simply escape the long grind of the season.

While D1 college wrestlers are a whole different animal than basketball players, I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume that there are likely a bunch of wrestlers out there who are 100% fine with the season being over. There are bigger things out there than sports.

man, leave it to the two women in this forum to make the most sense, and do it within one thread for all to see!  Pamela, all kidding aside - you are one of the most articulate individuals in this forum.  Your knowledge of wrestling and analytical skills are off the charts and I for one enjoyed reading what you have to say over the last year or so I've been a member.  I'm just curious, are you a coach or were you a coach at some point in your life?

7 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Let's not undervalue athletics either.  I learned so much from the football field and wrestling mats.  School would not have been complete without sports for me.  Actually, this may sound barbaric, but I personally think everyone needs to get their butt whipped at least once for humility reasons.  My butt was whipped a number of times in wrestling.  

My experiences were special to me.  Now I think of these guys and gals being forced to withdraw on the highest stage.  It's sad.  Especially when many of them would have risked the virus to do their sport.  I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT THE NCAA SHOULD NOT HAVE SUSPENDED.  I"m just saying that college athletes can be multi-dimensional.  

What do you think about the basketball players whose only hope was a good showing?  

That is why I think it should have been suspended but not cancelled. 

I never smile and think about good memories from Math class or biology.  I often smile about football and wrestling.  

I learned a lot by getting whooped in practice. I was t particularly good but man it changed my life 

12 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

man, leave it to the two women in this forum to make the most sense, and do it within one thread for all to see!  Pamela, all kidding aside - you are one of the most articulate individuals in this forum.  Your knowledge of wrestling and analytical skills are off the charts and I for one enjoyed reading what you have to say over the last year or so I've been a member.  I'm just curious, are you a coach or were you a coach at some point in your life?

Pamela is indeed all those things, Marcus.  Don't know if you were around when the late Suzy Shagwell posted here - but she was a helluva woman too. R.I.P.

5 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Pamela is indeed all those things, Marcus.  Don't know if you were around when the late Suzy Shagwell posted here - but she was a helluva woman too. R.I.P.

nope, I've only been here since January 2019. Sorry for her loss. ';(

12 hours ago, Katie said:

For sports like wrestling ,where there  wasn't any thought of a pro career,when I wrestled ,MMA didn't exist,

academics came first.

In fact, my dad required my GPA be at least a 3.5.,which isn't easy in engineering,or no wrestling.

What does hurt,is not being able to end your season/career  "on your own terms".

My senior year I was having a really good season.

I was looking forward to our conference tournament and a shot at an NCAA berth.

At practice,few days before the tournament,a guy put me in an illegal headlock,threw me down and

separated my shoulder.

Season over,career over.

Still wonder if I would have made the NCAA's .

I'm sure "what might have been" is what a lot of the wrestlers

that qualified for the  NCAA's are thinking this morning.

Edited by rpbobcat

In wrestling in particular pretty sure everyone already knows college isn’t about athletics.

There will still be plenty of guys that go “pro” in wrestling especially in coaching.   The lack of a tournament this year shouldn’t really change that.   Although technically some guys would have had a better resume if the tournament was held this year - even more reason why individual accomplishments shouldn’t be such a factor in getting coaching jobs.

The posts about the high price of college ($250K) seems worthy of a PSA.  There are more practical options to graduate debt free or with a reasonable amount.

1. FREE | College of the Ozarks (Missouri), or Hard Work U., is a Christian, no-tuition college. All students work on campus and debt is openly discouraged.  There is no wrestling :( but there is no tuition :).  You can help coach the local high schools.  My colleague is a well-paid associate ($100K+ in Kansas / low cost of living) that attended CoFo.  https://www.cofo.edu/
  2. $30K | Work while completing your first two years at a community college ($5K tuition and books).  Transfer to a local public state university for the last two years ($20K tuition and books).  Earn good grades at the CC and you might get some scholarship funds for the last two years at the public school.  Work while attending school to pay for rent, food, and no- education bills.  You can get a degree for under $30K.  
  3. $50K | DeVry University has several ABET accredited degrees.  DeVry offer a bachelors for computer engineering for about $50K all-in.  There is a stigma against for-profit schools but I know first-hand that the courses are just as difficult as your public university.  You only need one company to give you an opportunity to start your career.
Edited by jross
added cost detail