cangemi

Every senior in NCAA 1 more year

I think everyone that made NCAA tournament . Should have a another year.

Give them a Chance next year. All will not take it. But only fair to Senior trying reach there dream. AA or champ. They worked too hard.

" My dad you too say to me, who ever told you life is fair lied to you"

Hope not in this case

My opinion

Frank C

Here is the deal.  I think it should only be Seniors.  But I think they should only be able to compete in the NCAA tournament.  They shouldn't be able to pad victories.  Cenzo has had 4 shots at winning the Big 10s. I don't think he should get a 5th. 

1 minute ago, shieldofpistis said:

Here is the deal.  I think it should only be Seniors.  But I think they should only be able to compete in the NCAA tournament.  They shouldn't be able to pad victories.  Cenzo has had 4 shots at winning the Big 10s. I don't think he should get a 5th. 

What about Spencer lee? Should he be denied his shot at joining the other legendary 4 timers because of a budding international pandemic? I think all qualifiers should be extended the offer of an extra year. 

3 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

I don't think the NCAA should do anything major simply for Spencer Lee.  Who else got that kind of treatment?

I’m just giving examples. Kolodzik is another one, granted he is a senior. 

Also another thought. When the hell else have we ever had an international crisis that’s cancelling entire sports?? It’s not like some thing that commonly occurs and it’s tough sh** when it does. This is the only time this has ever happened. Special considerations for this once in a lifetime event seems reasonable. 

9 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

I don't think the NCAA should do anything major simply for Spencer Lee.  Who else got that kind of treatment?

Every wrestler since 1945 or whenever the last time the tournament was cancelled was?

31 minutes ago, cangemi said:

I think everyone that made NCAA tournament . Should have a another year.

Give them a Chance next year. All will not take it. But only fair to Senior trying reach there dream. AA or champ. They worked too hard.

" My dad you too say to me, who ever told you life is fair lied to you"

Hope not in this case

My opinion

Frank C,

I agree with the sentiment, but there's no way to make it happen. Schools only get 9.0 schollies (at most). I bet even guys who were hoping to win a title will take more serious considerations in account when their scholly runs out (aka: getting a job and paying bills). Plus if you are still giving those schollies to the Seniors, what happens to the young studs who were hoping for schollies to get into college when there aren't any new schollies opening up? 

It's sad, but I don't think there's anything that can make up for missing NCAAs this year. 

19 minutes ago, Gopher82 said:

Just have the damn tournament in 2 months. We don't even know what the hell will happen in the next few weeks. We might have a quick cure. WHO KNOWS. The athletes deserve better!

That's what I think we should do

21 minutes ago, Gopher82 said:

Just have the damn tournament in 2 months. We don't even know what the hell will happen in the next few weeks. We might have a quick cure. WHO KNOWS. The athletes deserve better!

Problem is all postseason stuff was CANCELED, not postponed. That means there will be no 2019-2020 NCAA wrestling championships EVER.  If I'm wrong, please correct me. 

The problem with giving seniors (or everyone) another year is that it just shifts the burden down to others. There aren’t going to be more weight classes, so if you give all the seniors another year it means one of the younger guys spends a year of their eligibility out of the lineup.

For example if they give all seniors another year how does PSU handle 165/174 next year? You give the seniors one more year it means Hall and Cenzo get another year but Starocci effectively loses a year. TONS of similar example across the D1 landscape. Sure the best (eligible) guy should get to be in the lineup but guys like Starocci probably wouldn’t have committed if they knew the incumbents were all gonna get another year. 

Plus scholarship allocations would be thrown into complete chaos. PSU didn’t plan on having to allocate a piece of their 9.9 scholarships to Hall and Cenzo next year. 

33 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Also another thought. When the hell else have we ever had an international crisis that’s cancelling entire sports?? It’s not like some thing that commonly occurs and it’s tough sh** when it does. This is the only time this has ever happened. Special considerations for this once in a lifetime event seems reasonable. 

WWII

I'm sorry but as much as I like wrestling I don't think anybody should get another year/tournament. If you went through the whole season and got hurt at Conference tournaments you'd be done. It's bad it happened, I hate it, but the cost to universitys while our sport survives by it's chinny chin chin, the effect on freshmen coming in, scholarships, etc etc etc. It's opening up so many issues if they give out extra years/tournaments. I'm sorry you lost your postseason but you had the entire season. Also, the one person who certainly does not need anything extra is Spencer Lee. He's had two NCAA tournaments and a chance at another one next year. There's lots of people who missed out and may have lost their one and only shot at competing.  I don't think anybody should be allowed to do over but if they were I would rather it be the senior who never had wrestled in the NCAA tournament rather than Spencer and I I have nothing but great things to say about Spencer Lee.

7 minutes ago, MDogg said:

The problem with giving seniors (or everyone) another year is that it just shifts the burden down to others. There aren’t going to be more weight classes, so if you give all the seniors another year it means one of the younger guys spends a year of their eligibility out of the lineup.

For example if they give all seniors another year how does PSU handle 165/174 next year? You give the seniors one more year it means Hall and Cenzo get another year but Starocci effectively loses a year. TONS of similar example across the D1 landscape. Sure the best (eligible) guy should get to be in the lineup but guys like Starocci probably wouldn’t have committed if they knew the incumbents were all gonna get another year. 

Plus scholarship allocations would be thrown into complete chaos. PSU didn’t plan on having to allocate a piece of their 9.9 scholarships to Hall and Cenzo next year. 

I 150% agree. Everybody got to wrestle this season. They just didn't get the postseason. It might be a different story if they canceled the entire season before it started.

25 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I'm sorry but as much as I like wrestling I don't think anybody should get another year/tournament. If you went through the whole season and got hurt at Conference tournaments you'd be done. It's bad it happened, I hate it, but the cost to universitys while our sport survives by it's chinny chin chin, the effect on freshmen coming in, scholarships, etc etc etc. It's opening up so many issues if they give out extra years/tournaments. I'm sorry you lost your postseason but you had the entire season. Also, the one person who certainly does not need anything extra is Spencer Lee. He's had two NCAA tournaments and a chance at another one next year. There's lots of people who missed out and may have lost their one and only shot at competing.  I don't think anybody should be allowed to do over but if they were I would rather it be the senior who never had wrestled in the NCAA tournament rather than Spencer and I I have nothing but great things to say about Spencer Lee.

C'mon this is silly.  The whole point of the regular season is to prepare for the postseason.   Denying people an entire postseason is much worse than making it tougher for an incoming freshman to start.   An extra year of eligibility for all qualifiers makes the most sense.

I do think scholarships will be an issue that will need to get worked out, but they're already an issue.

Let’s just say these college wrestlers are granted another year of eligibility, ok - then what about the wrestlers coming out of High School who will no doubt run into issues because of promised money and scholarships. Say a college wrestler is granted another year and promised that money to continue then what about the freshman coming in who were also promised money to go to that same school? The result, I would suspect we’re going to start seeing incoming HS wrestlers hitting the transfer portal like crazy. So as you can see, this major disappointment today goes way beyond the 3-event everyone has been so eagerly waiting for, this is going to a long term problem for quite some time.

47 minutes ago, GockeS said:

WWII

Yeah, so truly a once in a lifetime event for everyone involved. Obviously no wrestlers were around during that time (except maybe Tanner Hall). Even most people on this board weren’t born yet then.