cangemi

Every senior in NCAA 1 more year

I don't understand any argument that includes scholarship limits. They are artificially set at 9.9. Coaches have been arguing for more for years. One of the reasons they are denied is because no one at the NCAA wants another UCLA basketball type dynasty where you can stockpile an unlimited number of scholarshipped athletes. Sure, the dynasties can happen without unlimited scholarships,  but it is harder to do.

So if there are 330 "extra" wrestlers next year, then just raise the artificial limit to some other artificial limit. If a school cant afford an extra scholarship 

Sorry, I had to stop typing there because I was laughing so hard.

But let's say they cant afford the extra scholarship,  then there are transfer possibilities. This just doesnt seem like a real constraint. 

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Well, you could give the guys who have never taken a redshirt year the chance to call this their redshirt year, like the four game redshirt rule in football. I think that would have been somewhat easier to justify had it been before conferences

9 minutes ago, nom said:

Sh&t happens.  Move on.  Get a job.

To be honest this could be a good opportunity for more guys to get grad degrees.   That probably also opens up the possibility of additional grants and such to get around scholarship limits.

2 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Also another thought. When the hell else have we ever had an international crisis that’s cancelling entire sports?? It’s not like some thing that commonly occurs and it’s tough sh** when it does. This is the only time this has ever happened. Special considerations for this once in a lifetime event seems reasonable. 

Hmmm.  The 1980 Olympics come to mind.

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Yeah, so truly a once in a lifetime event for everyone involved. Obviously no wrestlers were around during that time (except maybe Tanner Hall). Even most people on this board weren’t born yet then.

your post included: s. This is the only time this has ever happened. Spec

its amazing how many people need to be reminded of what they post 

13 minutes ago, GockeS said:

your post included: s. This is the only time this has ever happened. Spec

its amazing how many people need to be reminded of what they post 

Delete. Too much arguing on the board today.

Edited by goheels1812

2 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Also another thought. When the hell else have we ever had an international crisis that’s cancelling entire sports?? It’s not like some thing that commonly occurs and it’s tough sh** when it does. This is the only time this has ever happened. Special considerations for this once in a lifetime event seems reasonable. 

oops

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

My post absolutely did not say this has never happened. I said “when is the last time this has ever happened??” And then went on to say it’s a very uncommon occurrence. But you’re right, some reading comprehension on this board would go a long way for many posters. 

your post absolutely said it has never happened. 

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Some guy on HR claiming it's a done deal that all qualifiers will get an additional year, maintain existing scholarship that will not count against the 9.9 scholarships 

I doubt it. Pyles said it’s an idea being floated. I don’t think the NCAA is worrying about this right now. They won’t make any decisions without looking at all potential outcomes. $$$ They certainly aren’t worried about wrestling.

C'mon this is silly.  The whole point of the regular season is to prepare for the postseason.   Denying people an entire postseason is much worse than making it tougher for an incoming freshman to start.   An extra year of eligibility for all qualifiers makes the most sense.
I do think scholarships will be an issue that will need to get worked out, but they're already an issue.

Keep in mind they are STUDENT-athletes, not athlete-students.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Keep in mind they are STUDENT-athletes, not athlete-students.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of course.  I'm not suggesting they be allowed to participate in sports without taking classes or anything like that.     This is a very extreme situation, but it really doesn't amount to much more than giving out more medical redshirts than expected.  It's 330 guys, spread out over 4-5 years when you consider freshman many of which still have redshirts available, and then the fact that many will not use the extra year anyway.     I actually don't think it would cause that much of an issue (other than figuring out scholarships).

Heck maybe it will also influence the Ivy League to change their ridiculous clock rule.

I think we should shut down the 2020 NCAA Wrestling Championships, and all the other major sporting events, like we did when...

The Asian Flu hit in 1957-8   1-4 million dead

The Hong Kong Flu hit in 1968-9 1-4 million dead

The 2009 Flu:  1/2 million dead

The Seasonal Flu:  1/2 million dead each year

13 minutes ago, TheOhioState said:

I think we should shut down the 2020 NCAA Wrestling Championships, and all the other major sporting events, like we did when...

The Rockin' Pneumonia 14 million dead

The Boogie Woogie Flu 2.5 million dead

They could waive the scholarship limit for 1 year. That issue seems fairly easy to overcome. 

some of the other issues seem like they are more difficult. 

honestly if they offered the year, I’m not sure how many seniors would take it. Some would, but if guys have jobs lined up, I assume they wont

6 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Yes you know better than all public health officials, the nba, mlb, nhl, etc. 

You don’t know what you are talking about