Sign in to follow this  
MDogg

Anthony Valencia - best 0x AA ever?

2 minutes ago, Tommy Payan said:

Anthony is a RS Junior this year.

He and Zahid graduated HS the same year (2015). Hence my “if he doesn’t get another year” caveat. Did he already apply and get a 6th year?

1 minute ago, Cradle1 said:

Not even close. List the biggest wins of his career.  I think you’re going on his rep from five years ago he’s lost almost every key match since.

You’re probably right. A better name for this thread would’ve been “best HS wrestler to compete all 5 (maybe 6) years in college and never AA.”

In the last domestic tournament (albeit freestyle) he ever wrestled before stepping foot on ASU’s campus he teched Isaiah Martinez. And that was after IMar had spent a full redshirt season in a college room training with Mark Perry. 

Just now, MDogg said:

You’re probably right. A better name for this thread would’ve been “best HS wrestler to compete all 5 (maybe 6) years in college and never AA.”

In the last domestic tournament (albeit freestyle) he ever wrestled before stepping foot on ASU’s campus he teched Isaiah Martinez. And that was after IMar had spent a full redshirt season in a college room training with Mark Perry. 

Actually if you recall he teched him twice back to back!  Who would’ve guessed after that match that Martinez would be up four time finalist and Valencia a zero time AA.  (I don’t care if he does get another year they could give him 10 more years and he will never AA). This is a guy who has been majored twice by Bryce Steiert. 

1 minute ago, Cradle1 said:

Actually if you recall he teched him twice back to back!  Who would’ve guessed after that match that Martinez would be up four time finalist and Valencia a zero time AA.  (I don’t care if he does get another year they could give him 10 more years and he will never AA). This is a guy who has been majored twice by Bryce Steiert. 

And the freshman version of Imar was the most dangerous folkstyle version of Imar IMO. Averaged 17 points a match. Totally inconceivable that 5 months prior he’d get teched back to back by a high school kid who would go on to compete healthy all 5-6 years and never AA.

1 minute ago, MDogg said:

And the freshman version of Imar was the most dangerous folkstyle version of Imar IMO. Averaged 17 points a match. Totally inconceivable that 5 months prior he’d get teched back to back by a high school kid who would go on to compete healthy all 5-6 years and never AA.

It’s true he was an animal as a freshman you could lateral drop him to his back and he would come out with the takedown somehow- This literally happened in a big match I think it might’ve been against Ness at Big Ten

Just now, Cradle1 said:

It’s true he was an animal as a freshman you could lateral drop him to his back and he would come out with the takedown somehow- This literally happened in a big match I think it might’ve been against Ness at Big Ten

Big 10 finals match against Ness. Ness lat dropped him so hard he (Ness) left his feet. They showed a replay of it in slow motion and none of their 4 feet were on the ground.

17 minutes ago, MDogg said:

My vote goes for Max Thomusseit.  He had a mental block whenever he got to the blood round.

Four-time NCAA qualifier, 2015 ACC Champion, 2013 EWL Champion, 2014 ACC Runner-Up, 2011 EWL Runner-Up, 2011 EWL Freshman of the Year

Career: 91-27 record with 10 falls, three tech falls and 21 major decisions...NCAA qualifier in 2011, '13, '14 & '15 ... three appearances in the Round of 12 at the NCAA Championships ... 2015 ACC Champion ... 2014 ACC Runner-Up ... EWL Champion at 184 pounds in 2013 ... Runner-Up at the EWL Tournament in 2011 ... named the 2011 EWL Freshman of the Year

B5AlkluCcAEjzMi.jpg

Edited by stp

5 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Big 10 finals match against Ness. Ness lat dropped him so hard he (Ness) left his feet. They showed a replay of it in slow motion and none of their 4 feet were on the ground.

https://m.facebook.com/FloWrestling/videos/1620985644621931/

One of my all time favorite matches. I don’t see all 4 feet off the ground but still an unreal lat drop. What a highlight video.

57 minutes ago, MDogg said:

He and Zahid graduated HS the same year (2015). Hence my “if he doesn’t get another year” caveat. Did he already apply and get a 6th year?

Pretty sure Anthony had an Olympic and regular redshirt where zahid did not.

25 minutes ago, tommygun said:

Ness was so fun to watch.  The sport needs more guys like him!  

You also had Ian Miller in this era who may be my all time favorite wrestler to watch- between him, Ness, and Martinez there were some fireworks.

3 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

You also had Ian Miller in this era who may be my all time favorite wrestler to watch- between him, Ness, and Martinez there were some fireworks.

Love me some Ian Miller, was a gamer