maligned

Pan Am Qualifier draws

3 hours ago, Crash said:

Zain dodged JO and Yianni since last year.  JO was hurt when they wrestled.  JO didn't make a big deal about it, but Zain knew it.  When healthy, JO beat him every time -- including soem dominant matches.

Not wrestling at unnecessary domestic tournaments is not the same thing as dodging. Stop making excuses for JO, who’s to say anyone was healthy in that bracket and what’s the excuse for 7-8 years prior that he didn’t make the team?

3 hours ago, Crash said:

This policy needs to change.  Far too much weight is given to what happened a year ago vs more recent events.  There isn't an honest person out there who thought that JO didn't give us teh best shot at getting 65 qualified this weekend.

JO was already qualified for OTTs and still competed at The US Open -- as did others.  And JO destroyed the field, that included Yianni.

Maybe the policy should change but as of right now the spot was Zains to try to qualify by beating everyone last year. 

Lol don't be the guy that says "they won worlds and you're saying they suck"...

I'm saying neutral offense isnt a strong part of their game
Who said they suck?

Zain was supposedly a shoe in for a senior world champion, just ask Mokoma. Bo too. Bo's gonna pin Saduleav. Remember that wonderful, well thought out opinion.

I guess Zain never really developed his freestyle technique after his Cadet world title. Too much bow and arrow. No go to takedowns. Unreal.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Who said they suck?

Zain was supposedly a shoe in for a senior world champion, just ask Mokoma. Bo too. Bo's gonna pin Saduleav. Remember that wonderful, well thought out opinion.

I guess Zain never really developed his freestyle technique after his Cadet world title. Too much bow and arrow. No go to takedowns. Unreal.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yeah Mokoma is usually reasonable for 9 posts and then his 10th is out of left field.

But meh... just wish they (PSU guys) were more proficient from neutral.

I'll be excited to see either Nickal/Taylor at the trials. Same with Retherford/Nick Lee... they all have high ceilings and an immense amount of talent.

Cant wait to postpone/cancel trials and just ruin what's left of 2020 :(

PSU style is a loose term, but will soon get Gable'd/ Iowa'd soon and unfairly I believe.

Taylor is the most pure Cael-protege, and I am honestly unsure either can be replicated although Snyder is seemingly doing his best to reinvent. I should also say that it is absolutely crazy to think that Kyle Snyder is reinventing but at the same time makes perfect sense.. another discussion we have all had and will have for years to come.

The rest of PSU/NLWC is a hodgepodge. Zain is Iowa style, Nickal is scrambles du jour, Taylor is ankle picks and restless conditioning, Wright and Ruth were fizzles at seniors, Cassar may have been but we are unsure due to injury, Nolf is unknown but either a zero or 3x+ world champ and no surprise in between.

My point is that Carl brings in the best wrestlers and develops them to the best of their styles and capabilities, and honestly I see the Brands doing the same albeit on a smaller scale. But Gable brought in the Iowa style and that wasn't expanded until the past 15-20 years. No fault of Gable's, just a progression of the sport.

Edited by bnwtwg
Wright and *Ruth

5 hours ago, Crash said:

Who are you kidding?  You are one of the most biased posted on this board.

I assume you mean poster and other than rooting for my kid, Yianni and Andrew Berreyesa I'm not a fan of any of these guys. You must have me confused with somebody else.

On 3/16/2020 at 6:47 AM, maligned said:

I guess you could make an argument Destribats didn't come out of nowhere. He's only 22. Won junior pan-am's in 2016 and 2017 with at least one Cuban or American there both times. As mentioned, fought hard against Yianni last week in losing 7-4. Lost convincingly to McCrystal and Eierman in 2019, but did score 6 and 4 points against them. Doesn't seem to have lost to a non-Cuban or non-American in Pan Am stuff any time recently. Seems he'll be a legit hurdle to consider for the next few years.

In addition to this history I mentioned, I also saw Destribats' performances at Junior Worlds in 2016 and 2017 were very respectable. In 2016, he got put out 6-4 by a guy who then lost 6-2 to the bronze medalist. In 2017, he lost 11-4 to the Russian gold medal winner. Looking at those results and his 2019 senior results against our guys; it's clear defense is his weakness but he scores on everyone, no matter their level.