maligned

Pan Am Qualifier draws

Rau and Hancock left and both are significant favorites. We would equal our Greco weights qualified from 2016 when we had two more world qualifiers that helped us. Hancock's guy isn't a pushover but it would be a shock to drop either match.

14 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
16 minutes ago, maligned said:
Smith falls 6-1 to the Cuban and joins Coon in not qualifying his weight.

You think we get both the weights qualified? Feels like a big "no". But I hope you have some greco insight

What's funny is these are our two strongest Greco weights of the last 10 years or so.

We have a couple guys with arguably more talent than Smith at 77, so I'd say we'd have a puncher's chance to make a run if someone else that's maybe less steady but with a higher ceiling wins our spot. 

Coon definitely has a chance too depending on how the other continental qualifiers play out. I'm not sure there will be anyone not qualified that he CAN'T beat.. He should go into the world qualifier as one of the three or four favorites and have a shot to be the favorite out of his bracket. But he needs to wrestle better than he has the past couple years (as you said) where he's lost a couple to lesser people.

Edited by maligned

I think we're at an 11-2 record on the day, with the only 2 losses being to the only 2 Cuban or Cuban-background guys we faced. We landed slightly on the fortunate side to face only 2 of the 5 Cubans (including Acosta) we could have faced. They're all in the finals.

Whatever the case, we really wrestled well. Four years ago, we came in with four unqualified weights and only got one through, losing a couple matches to non-Cubans that we really shouldn't have lost to. Hafizov could have arguably been considered 3rd favorite in his bracket and got through. Rau was down 4-0 at the break in the quarters and fought back. Sancho won 8-1 in the semi's against a guy who destroyed a Dominican that gave Sancho fits last week. Hancock smashed the Venezuelan that gave him trouble last week. Even Coon gave Acosta some anxious moments.

Anyway...great day overall in my opinion compared to many Greco days of the last 5 or 6 years.

Edited by maligned

9 minutes ago, maligned said:

I think we're at an 11-2 record on the day, with the only 2 losses being to the only 2 Cuban or Cuban-background guys we faced. We landed slightly on the fortunate side to face only 2 of the 5 Cubans (including Acosta) we could have faced. They're all in the finals.

Whatever the case, we really wrestled well. Four years ago, we came in with four unqualified weights and only got one through, losing a couple matches to non-Cubans that we really shouldn't have lost to. Hafizov could have arguably been considered 3rd favorite in his bracket and got through. Rau was down 4-0 at the break in the quarters and fought back. Sancho won 8-1 in the semi's against a guy who destroyed a Dominican that gave Sancho fits last week. Hancock smashed the Venezuelan that gave him trouble last week. Even Coon gave Acosta some anxious moments.

Anyway...great day overall in my opinion compared to many Greco days of the last 5 or 6 years.

Absolutely! 

Torreblanca should be a very good barometer match for DT. Same with Helen, I think we will finally see where she's at against world competition. IMO, she was a little tentative and wary of reinjury during her wrestle-off.

5 hours ago, spladle08 said:
5 hours ago, maligned said:
Smith falls 6-1 to the Cuban and joins Coon in not qualifying his weight.

You think we get both the weights qualified? Feels like a big "no". But I hope you have some greco insight

if the last chance qualifier happens, please lindland send schultz...

i would also rather see bey there as well, but, that is more of a toss up than schultz over coon...

15 hours ago, LJB said:

if the last chance qualifier happens, please lindland send schultz...

i would also rather see bey there as well, but, that is more of a toss up than schultz over coon...

Schultz got ragdolled at Final X?