maligned

Pan Am Qualifier draws

19 hours ago, LJB said:

if the last chance qualifier happens, please lindland send schultz...

i would also rather see bey there as well, but, that is more of a toss up than schultz over coon...

Was thinking the same thing. Man I have really wanted to see smith break through I just don’t know that he will. Bey is unpredictable as for results, capable of making a run to a medal but also capable of losing a first round match and leaving us like, huh?  

Coon, I didn’t think I’d be saying this 2020 but has he hit his peak?

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

That was a year ago... 

schultz walked through nationals in December... he has a much higher ceiling than coon ever did... 

I'm a big fan of Adams and think he's a class individual but Cohlton Schultz is our future and a good one at that.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Wait, which world champ? David Taylor?

Alma Jan Valencia Esc (MEXICO) pinned Linda Morais (CANADA) at 3:39 to qualify the weight for Mexico and advance to the finals to face Helen Lo Maroulis (UNITED STATES)

Taylor doesn't wrestle until tomorrow (Sunday)

3 minutes ago, scramble said:

why all the FF?

They did what they needed to do. There wasn’t a need to wrestle the final anyway. I don’t blame them. Now they can get out of town a little quicker, not risk further injury and get home.

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Helen showed how good she really is today.  She manhandled the Canadian, it almost looked like she was drilling and having fun.  

Morais must have won a non-Olympic weight last fall, no?  Otherwise the weight would already be qualified for Canada?

And now Morais will have to finish top 2 at the Last Chance to qualify the weight?

If so, that must be quite a letdown for Canadian wrestling fans.

37 minutes ago, tec87 said:

They did what they needed to do. There wasn’t a need to wrestle the final anyway. I don’t blame them. Now they can get out of town a little quicker, not risk further injury and get home.

No chance for any of them to grab a seed I guess?

10 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Morais must have won a non-Olympic weight last fall, no?  Otherwise the weight would already be qualified for Canada?

And now Morais will have to finish top 2 at the Last Chance to qualify the weight?

If so, that must be quite a letdown for Canadian wrestling fans.

Yeah in Flo's PBP they had said 59 keggers.

"Match 1: 57kg - Helen Maroulis vs Linda Morais (CAN)

The Olympic gold medalist is back folks. Her coach Jon Morrison said the weight cut was easy and she looked to be in good spirits with high energy in this morning's warm up. No points 40 seconds in, but they trade passives. Takedown Helen! She had the 2019 world champ at 59kg in trouble, but Morais bellies out. Back up to their feet, 4:33 to go. Maroulis contact pops out.

Helen working the two-on-one well, taking ground on Morais. The Canadian forces her into the zone and into short offense, but Helen peaks out and gets another takedown. Coach Morrison wanted a lace but Morais fought it off quickly.

Back to action in the second, Morais trying to use an underhook, but throwby and two for Maroulis. She leads 6-0 with 2:22 left. Morrison wants more fakes and to move her in space, stay out of the Canadian's ties. Takedown Helen, leads 8-0 with 2:07 to go.

Takedown Morais on a crackdown. Morrison throws the cube, which appears to be a dumbbell, but Helen waves it off. Morais in on a shot, fighting it off in the zone and a beautiful cross pick! She finishes it with Morais on her back for a 12-2 tech."

Edited by nhs67

20 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

But they FF in almost every final. Why not wrestle the last match?  Competition might be slim in the next few months. 

There was really nothing to gain. They came to qualify the weight and they did. Why take the chance? No need to risk a David Taylor like injury or something for a match that means nothing. They have seen all these wrestlers before. If it were a non Pan Am event, you may have seen some matches. They've all had matches at their weights to get a good feel for it.

On 3/13/2020 at 3:48 AM, maligned said:

Draws came out last night. If the event goes forward, here's our freestyle draw situation. Gilman vs. Ortega and the full recovery of Taylor's knee against a solid Torreblanca feel like the only questions in stopping us from qualifying all 4 weights:

57kg: Gilman gets Ortega, his only opposition, in the quarters and will have to win to qualify the weight. 

65kg: Zain avoids tough matches until the finals and should almost certainly qualify the weight.

86kg: The 4 best guys are all on the same side, including Taylor. He'll have his toughest match, Torreblanca, in the semis.

125kg: Gwiz is in a 6-man weight, where there are two pools of three, followed by the pool winners wrestling pool runners-up in the semi's. He's in the same pool as his toughest competition, Romero of Cuba. That's advantageous because, win or lose, he won't face Romero in the semi's; but will need to beat a slightly lesser opponent like Dhesi of Canada or Vivenes of Venezuela to advance to the final and qualify the weight.

What's also annoying about Gilman and Ortega not being separated is that they set up the match schedule so Gilman has to wait almost an hour to get on the mat for his qualification/rattail match (rather than being given one of the first couple matches) and then has to come back fairly quickly for his quarterfinal while Ortega rests with a bye. Hopefully he can run up the score on the Canadian quickly in the first round and get off the mat.

Edited by maligned

3 hours ago, maligned said:

What's also annoying about Gilman and Ortega not being separated is that they set up the match schedule so Gilman has to wait almost an hour to get on the mat for his qualification/rattail match (rather than being given one of the first couple matches) and then has to come back fairly quickly for his quarterfinal while Ortega rests with a bye. Hopefully he can run up the score on the Canadian quickly in the first round and get off the mat.

I'd actually rather be Gilman. He wrestles match 177 and then 189. 11 matches is probably going to be about an hour later. Canada shouldn't be an overly tough match, so he gets to go out and get a good competitive match in and get his lungs going. Go get a good rest in and wrestle a match cold Ortega who has been waiting around 2+ hours.

6 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

I was debating too, but after the WFS finals FFs...don't think it would be worth it.  I think the MFS will do the same thing.

UWW posts the matches on youtube not soon after as well.  I ended up purchasing it because I like a little freestyle with my morning coffee but don't know if it was the smart purchase.  Quick question about greco.  Very happy we qualified 4 weights, but where are we at with the remaining two?  55kg in particular.  I saw Max N. won the last tournament he was in, is that weight qualified yet or will there be another opportunity?

3 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

UWW posts the matches on youtube not soon after as well.  I ended up purchasing it because I like a little freestyle with my morning coffee but don't know if it was the smart purchase.  Quick question about greco.  Very happy we qualified 4 weights, but where are we at with the remaining two?  55kg in particular.  I saw Max N. won the last tournament he was in, is that weight qualified yet or will there be another opportunity?

55 isnt an olympic weight. We've qualified 4 of 6. 77 and 130 aren't qualified. 

15 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

10:30 EST I believe.  Debating on buying it on track since I'm still in mourning about next weekend. 

Starts early today because of more and longer matches. 10am

Just now, maligned said:

55 isnt an olympic weight. We've qualified 4 of 6. 77 and 130 aren't qualified. 

You're kidding?! I thought for sure 55 was.  I didn't even think to check.  Thanks for the information, will their be anymore opportunities for 77/130?

38 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

You're kidding?! I thought for sure 55 was.  I didn't even think to check.  Thanks for the information, will their be anymore opportunities for 77/130?

I've got this thread going that has all the info on the Olympic Spots that should answer any questions.

41 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Didn't Max lose in the bronze medal match at Worlds?  If so, that would have qualified a Olympic weight.