maligned

Pan Am Qualifier draws

20 minutes ago, LifeintheRed said:

I tried to say earlier that Zane shouldn't be our rep

This is such a stupid take, not defending Zain getting caught but who would you send? Someone who’s never made a world team(JO or Yianni) or the reigning team member? What’s USA wrestling to do? 

Just now, jross said:

Can you imagine how Zain must feel at this moment?  I hollered and hammer punched my kitchen table for Zain to get off his back.  He fought hard but there was not much he could do.  It happens.  How will he respond from this?

can you imagine how your kitchen table must feel after getting pummeled? :D

7 minutes ago, LifeintheRed said:

Both Yianni's and JO's styles are more fitted to freestyle imo

JO's "style" fits against everyone. He just doesn't have the gas tank and savvy to ascend to the level everyone keeps thinking he's at. Yianni for sure fits international wrestling. You have to have some world-class distinguishing characteristics other than gas tank and effort to bring to the table in international competition. Sadly, Zain and Metcalf have proven that point again and again. Yianni has slick attacks and very special defensive skills that translate no matter how high the level of competition. We've seen that it doesn't always matter in the American head-to-head environment against an opponent in Zain that knows him so well--but he sure looks more dangerous on international mats.

Edited by maligned

Just now, maligned said:

JO's "style" fits against everyone. He just doesn't have the gas tank and savvy to ascend to the level everyone keeps thinking he's at. Yianni for sure fits international wrestling. You have to have some world-class distinguishing characteristics other than gas tank and effort to bring to the table in international competition. Sadly, Zain and Metcalf have proven that point again and again. Yianni has slick attacks and very special defensive skills that translate no matter how high the level of competition. 

Agreed. you get a like for the Metcalf reference! 

29 minutes ago, maligned said:

World qualifier if it gets rescheduled, but it will be a DEEP event

Yep, I was just referring to this qualifier. One more chance but a much much tougher road. 

Just now, 77again said:

Yep, I was just referring to this qualifier. One more chance but a much much tougher road. 

yeah, I knew what you meant. I accidentally quoted you instead of the post before you.

I can't remember Zain ever getting decked on any level.     And he always gets a terrible draw at worlds.   He had Batirov,  Rashidov, Bajrand and the Cuban and he lost all of those matches at the wire,  and he beats people up so bad they are ruined for the next match.  The Venezuelan had to be a fluke.,   perhaps we do need someone else to try to qualify the weight.    But it's not like he is losing to bad competition.  

2 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

This is such a stupid take, not defending Zain getting caught but who would you send? Someone who’s never made a world team(JO or Yianni) or the reigning team member? What’s USA wrestling to do? 

I respect your opinion about my alleged stupidity- I'm sitting here at my desk staring at a 100 rolls of TP and 20 hand sanitizers so you may be right.  However, our current world teamer has exactly 2 world matches and is 0-2, exiting in the first round each time so send JO or Yianni- I'm fine with either. As Scramble mentioned earlier, Zane just seems to lose it on one match every tournament and you can't have that at the world level . . . or trying to qualify for the world level.

1 hour ago, Giovanni said:

Zain gets caught underneath attempting a lace, stuck by Argentina... no bueno

Drat, I got the time wrong and missed the matches. I'm not sure I've heard of someone getting pinned from attempting a leglace - wth?

Also, I'm guessing that our guys are done for the day. If so, that's too bad bc Gwiz - Dhesi would be a good match. And maybe PR will let Gomez wrestle in the 74 final.

Edited by pamela

Drat, I got the time wrong and missed the matches. I'm not sure I've heard of someone getting pinned from attempting a leglace - wth?

Also, I'm guessing that our guys are done for the day. If so, that's too bad bc Gwiz - Dhesi would be a good match. And maybe PR will let Gomez wrestle in the 74 final.
That's how it went down. He didn't get "caught". He was decked!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Anyone know what happened to Arthur in his semis? I thought he had a great chance to actually qualify for the Oly-games.

He got hurt, was screaming in pain so it didn't look good.  Was holding his leg/knee area...

Edited by Gantry

Just now, Gantry said:

He got hurt, was screaming in pain so it didn't look good.  Was holding his leg/knee area...

Damn it. He looked good today. Had a real shot at qualifying.

51 minutes ago, maligned said:

JO's "style" fits against everyone. He just doesn't have the gas tank and savvy to ascend to the level everyone keeps thinking he's at. Yianni for sure fits international wrestling. You have to have some world-class distinguishing characteristics other than gas tank and effort to bring to the table in international competition. Sadly, Zain and Metcalf have proven that point again and again. Yianni has slick attacks and very special defensive skills that translate no matter how high the level of competition. We've seen that it doesn't always matter in the American head-to-head environment against an opponent in Zain that knows him so well--but he sure looks more dangerous on international mats.

For the record, Yianni has been in five international tournaments in his career, and has won them all.  You can complain that he hasn't had the steepest competition (except that Zain guy, maybe), but the fact remains that he has beaten everyone he has ever faced in an international tournament.

(I could be wrong, but I think he won both Cadet WCs he was in, he won both tournaments he was in last year, and now he won the Pan Am Games last week)

1 hour ago, LifeintheRed said:

Sadulaev fought off his back . . . just saying . . .

What does that have to do with this one? Completely different situation, different wrestler, everything. I watched the match. He was looking better than Yanni against the guy, went for the leg lace and got caught. It sucks but it has nothing to do with whether he's good enough to qualify. In fact he looked damn good today.

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I'm not a Penn State fan but you are 100% correct.

Just watched the video, someone posted it on Facebook.

Zain tried to lace him when it wasn't even close to tight and the guy just planted his knee on him to reposition.

So few Americans have any respect for how tough 65kgs actually is.  We will be lucky to qualify the weight regardless of who we send to last chance (if that happens).

Our guys are good! The world is unbelievable though.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

17 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

So few Americans have any respect for how tough 65kgs actually is.  We will be lucky to qualify the weight regardless of who we send to last chance (if that happens).

Our guys are good! The world is unbelievable though.

That's a good point. It's easy to forget how Tank flew out to Mongolia like a week after winning trials (J'Den too, I think the story was that he had to get an expedited passport), then again at the very last chance qualifier a couple weeks later and only qualified the weight because another wrestler got busted for doping and the placewinners from the LC qualifiers moved up a spot. We were very fortunate to have a 65kg rep in Rio.