maligned

Pan Am Qualifier draws

3 minutes ago, nom said:

While Zain is a stud and is an outstanding wrestler, he loses with regularity on the international circuit.  Mental?

In this case, it's maybe just carelessness or too open of a style. He cruised through his earlier matches. Teched his quarterfinal opponent in like 25 seconds. He was looking good.

39 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

What does that have to do with this one? Completely different situation, different wrestler, everything. I watched the match. He was looking better than Yanni against the guy, went for the leg lace and got caught. It sucks but it has nothing to do with whether he's good enough to qualify. In fact he looked damn good today.

He was looking better than Yianni vs the guy?  What was the score?  Yianni was up 7-0 at end of first.

36 minutes ago, GockeS said:

he got taken down, then got a TD and a turn..and then... 

Video here:

Decent take down but didn't have the lace set before he started turning.

2 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

I respect your opinion about my alleged stupidity- I'm sitting here at my desk staring at a 100 rolls of TP and 20 hand sanitizers so you may be right.  However, our current world teamer has exactly 2 world matches and is 0-2, exiting in the first round each time so send JO or Yianni- I'm fine with either. As Scramble mentioned earlier, Zane just seems to lose it on one match every tournament and you can't have that at the world level . . . or trying to qualify for the world level.

Zain won a match in 17 but it doesn’t matter, it’s his spot until someone domestically beats him. I understand the hate that will has gotten and will get from this spot but if he was willing to go to this tournament it was his spot to take, no one else earned to go over him. Remember both JO and Yianni had there shot at the world team and they were both beat by Zain.  

3 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Zain won a match in 17 but it doesn’t matter, it’s his spot until someone domestically beats him. I understand the hate that will has gotten and will get from this spot but if he was willing to go to this tournament it was his spot to take, no one else earned to go over him. Remember both JO and Yianni had there shot at the world team and they were both beat by Zain.  

I think you forgot an asterisk at the end of the final sentence 

the scoring in the video is weird. Zain gets a takedown then he gets reversed and exposed then flattened out. they briefly had it as 4-2 for Destribats then it changed to 2-2 in favor of Zain? I would have thought it would be 3-2 Destribats, if it weren't for the fall. 

In any event... yikes.

9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I can't be the only thinking there aren't going to be anymore qualifiers.

Well UWW should probably be glad the US sent Zain instead of Yianni.  Otherwise Koll would probably have the Cornell lawyers suing for exposing them to coronavirus.

7 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Ogal, I agree with you 100%. Very well written.

One request, can you re-read what you have written except swap out "Zain" for "Patrick Downey" and 2019 Worlds, and give it the same consideration. Very similar, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, nom said:

@ConnorsDad - you thought that looked better than Yianni did? LOL — the bias is profound.

This Argentinian is good.  What is his background?

Bias? Nah, huge Yianni fan. Thought ZR looked better until you know what happened. Not sure about the guy. Wrestles like a E.uropean

19 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Bias? Nah, huge Yianni fan. Thought ZR looked better until you know what happened. Not sure about the guy. Wrestles like a E.uropean

He's a native Argentinian, started wrestling at 9, won a lot of South American championships. No idea who coaches him, but he is at their national athletic academy which seems to be like our OTC.  He's not an import from overseas.  

42 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

he got one takedown and got reversed to his back. the takedown was nice but ... it was a pretty bog standard takedown. 

29 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

He's a native Argentinian, started wrestling at 9, won a lot of South American championships. No idea who coaches him, but he is at their national athletic academy which seems to be like our OTC.  He's not an import from overseas.  

If you look up the natl fed, it shows Erik Leon (Cuba) as natl coach.

I guess you could make an argument Destribats didn't come out of nowhere. He's only 22. Won junior pan-am's in 2016 and 2017 with at least one Cuban or American there both times. As mentioned, fought hard against Yianni last week in losing 7-4. Lost convincingly to McCrystal and Eierman in 2019, but did score 6 and 4 points against them. Doesn't seem to have lost to a non-Cuban or non-American in Pan Am stuff any time recently. Seems he'll be a legit hurdle to consider for the next few years.