Holtfan

If the NCAA grants another year of eligibility......

Medical RS’s don’t wipe out guys’ records right?  I think it would be like that.

Might result in a few new program win leaders (which would likely require an asterisk), but doesn’t seem like anyone has a chance to match Cael’s win total, maybe Shane Griffith?

Guys this isn't going to happen.  You can't just think about the 330 wrestlers at D1.  You have to think about every athlete, in every winter AND spring sport, at every D1 and D2 school across the country, and then factor in the financial impact to the schools for every athlete in every winter and spring sport at every school across the country.  There's a whoooooole lot more to it than "give them one more year".  It's a damn shame, but I don't see any logistical way for it to happen.

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Guys this isn't going to happen.  You can't just think about the 330 wrestlers at D1.  You have to think about every athlete, in every winter AND spring sport, at every D1 and D2 school across the country, and then factor in the financial impact to the schools for every athlete in every winter and spring sport at every school across the country.  There's a whoooooole lot more to it than "give them one more year".  It's a damn shame, but I don't see any logistical way for it to happen.

There's already a question in mainstream media if universities should refund tuition to kids because they are shutting down schools for a period of time. So your what if question is starting to become a legitimate question on the academic front. 

32 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Medical RS’s don’t wipe out guys’ records right?  I think it would be like that.

Might result in a few new program win leaders (which would likely require an asterisk), but doesn’t seem like anyone has a chance to match Cael’s win total, maybe Shane Griffith?

I thought medical RS do wipe out the results.  Isn't that how Steiber got 5 losses cleared from his career record?

If I were a 5th year, I wouldn’t want to pay for another year of tuition.  Most wrestlers don’t get full rides. Even a 50% you are talking about ANOTHER 20-30k.   Plus, athletic departments would have to pay MORE.  

we didn’t do this **** for H1N1.  And that killed people at a much higher rate.  

Ohio State lists his career record as 119-3.

That would be incorrect. He competed as a rostered athlete in a tOSU uniform - and placed 5x in the CKLV.

It was interesting how they changed his profile going into his senior season. Prior to then, they always included his 5-3 RSFR season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

That would be incorrect. He competed as a rostered athlete in a tOSU uniform - and placed 5x in the CKLV.

It was interesting how they changed his profile going into his senior season. Prior to then, they always included his 5-3 RSFR season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CAREER WINNING PERCENTAGE TOP-15 (MINIMUM 40 MATCHES)

NAME ...................SEASONS .. W-L-T ....PCT.

1. Logan Stieber..........2012-15.......119-3...... .975

11 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

If I were a 5th year, I wouldn’t want to pay for another year of tuition.  Most wrestlers don’t get full rides. Even a 50% you are talking about ANOTHER 20-30k.   Plus, athletic departments would have to pay MORE.  

we didn’t do this **** for H1N1.  And that killed people at a much higher rate.  

Your posts are sure to age well.  

20 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

CAREER WINNING PERCENTAGE TOP-15 (MINIMUM 40 MATCHES)

NAME ...................SEASONS .. W-L-T ....PCT.

1. Logan Stieber..........2012-15.......119-3...... .975

Yes, as I stated in my post, they had always included the 5-3 season in his bio until his senior season.

5 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

That was after his senior year. Are you saying it would have been 124-6?

Correct.  Here's an excerpt from a tOSU press release following his third NCAA title.  They obviously changed their mind on how to calculate his career record going into his senior season.

"Stieber concludes the 2013-14 season with a 30-1 record and a career mark of 95-6. Stieber’s .941 career win percentage (95-6) is No. 3 all-time at Ohio State."

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/three-time-ncaa-champion-logan-stieber/ 

Edited by lu_alum

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

Correct.  Here's an excerpt from a tOSU press release following his third NCAA title.  They obviously changed their mind on how to calculate his career record going into his senior season.

"Stieber concludes the 2013-14 season with a 30-1 record and a career mark of 95-6. Stieber’s .941 career win percentage (95-6) is No. 3 all-time at Ohio State."

Gotcha, wasn't thinking by subtracting rather than adding he would have been undefeated and he wasn't.

9 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

tOSU did or that’s how it’s supposed to be calculated?  Actually I guess that would make sense that it would be counted until they get the extra year added.

tOSU changed their mind on how to report.  As I stated a few posts earlier, he competed in eight bouts as a rostered athlete - can't make it go away.  He placed five times in the CKLV between 2010-2014:  6-1-1-1-1.  In 2010, he placed 6th as a result of a semi-slide.  Losses (in order) to Jarrod Patterson (OU), 2-1; Jason Lara (Oregon State), 5-0; and Frank Perrelli (Cornell), 9-8.

Here's the career summary from his profile going into what they call his RS Senior season.

For the record, Nebraska includes Burroughs' similarly interrupted season in his career record. Interesting tidbit on Burroughs' medical redshirt... had he complete in one more bout that season, he would not have been able to qualify due to too many bouts.  I think I read elsewhere that he also missed a bout due to a family emergency.

Stieber:

Stieber.jpg

Burroughs:

2009-10 (Senior/Medical Redshirt)
Regular Season
Burroughs was off to a dominating 7-0 start with four bonus-point wins when his season came to a sudden end on Dec. 19 vs. Central Michigan. Wrestling No. 13 Steve Brown, Burroughs tore his left PCL and LCL in the first period. He finished the match, but dropped a 3-2 overtime decision that broke his streak of 44 consecutive wins. The injured Burroughs was ranked No. 1 at the time of the injury. In the first dual of the season, Burroughs pinned Wisconsin's Greg Burke in 25 seconds, the fastest fall by a Husker in the Big 12 era. He did not finish the Las Vegas Invitational due to a tooth injury that occurred during a first-round win.

Edited by lu_alum

I mean one could argue it’s not really “changing their mind.”  Essentially it’s just saying that it counted until they knew that he’d have another year.   I don’t know what the official rule on it is, but that would make some sense.

Maybe the current red shirt rules could be used as a guideline.  

Baseball season, as an example, was barely begun before being shut down.  Give them a redshirt.

Wrestling and basketball were done with the exception of the season championship.   Those sports would not get a redshirt. 

Probably not a popular thought on this forum.  Forget the virus issue for a moment.  If a wrestler wrestled all season and was hurt just before championship weekend, would you give them a redshirt?

All said, I was really looking forward to the NCAA's.  My son and I had tickets.

16 minutes ago, gallison said:

Maybe the current red shirt rules could be used as a guideline.  

Baseball season, as an example, was barely begun before being shut down.  Give them a redshirt.

Wrestling and basketball were done with the exception of the season championship.   Those sports would not get a redshirt. 

Probably not a popular thought on this forum.  Forget the virus issue for a moment.  If a wrestler wrestled all season and was hurt just before championship weekend, would you give them a redshirt?

All said, I was really looking forward to the NCAA's.  My son and I had tickets.

Apples and oranges IMO.

Some guys getting hurt before NCAA’s is totally different than the NCAA canceling the championships.   

In sports terms, the best recent example is probably strikes/lockouts in the professional leagues.  That has resulted in canceling championships, but the difference between that and college is that the pro guys all at least had the opportunity to come back the next year.