NJDan

Revived Tournament

Someone posted an idea of having a delayed tournament with just the 8 top seeds. This could be done in one day, could it not, and would not require a huge arena. 

Couldn't something like this be staged in a central location (Pittsburgh?) making it easy for 90% of the top-8 seeds to attend?

Good idea and I've read it on here several times but what about running it like Big 10 and have 14 guys, top 2 seeds advance to quarters and wrestle through.  This way it gives a few of the guys who were right on the bubble seed wise to have an opportunity to win, so we also don't miss out on the upsets that will occur.  This will also allow for the awarding of All Americans still, that is earned, but not just given all american status being seeded top 8.  In most instances, doesn't the 9, 10, or 11 deserve a shot to?  Just a thought

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Someone posted an idea of having a delayed tournament with just the 8 top seeds. This could be done in one day, could it not, and would not require a huge arena. 

Couldn't something like this be staged in a central location (Pittsburgh?) making it easy for 90% of the top-8 seeds to attend?

On what map is Pittsburg a central location?

2 minutes ago, MDogg said:

On what map is Pittsburg a central location?

It's central to a lot of the PA schools and the Big ten schools. It's central to the wrestling nation, not the USA as a whole. Probably has a decent airport. But that's not the point. Could be somewhere else. 

2 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Might as well get this thinking out of everyone's head. It's better to just move on. Yes, it hurts but some things are bigger than sports. 

This.  But I guess with current situation as it is all we have to talk about is crazy ideas we think the NCAA should implement.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

This.  But I guess with current situation as it is all we have to talk about is crazy ideas we think the NCAA should implement.

It does not even have to be an NCAA event. It could be hosted privately-- crowing an unofficial NCAA champ.

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

It does not even have to be an NCAA event. It could be hosted privately-- crowing an unofficial NCAA champ.

IF...if this is even a realm of possibility.....it would have to be a non-ncaa event.  If NCAA decided to do something like this with wrestling, what are they going to do with all of the other winter and spring sports that lost their championships.

Just now, NJDan said:

Its a nice pipedream but something like this is not going to happen. Anyone with the ability to administer such an event would receive a ton of criticism from the general public for trying to host such an event.

Imagine people have some great ideas.But the reality is that it's over.Time to move on and not give the athletes false hopes.Today is a tough day at many Universities across many sports. 

Edited by calot

12 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Its a nice pipedream but something like this is not going to happen. Anyone with the ability to administer such an event would receive a ton of criticism from the general public for trying to host such an event.

Why? I am not saying that it should be done this week or next week. It could be done in May. Invite the top 8 seeds. No one is obligated to come. I am sure an organizer could sell soem tickets.

26 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It's central to a lot of the PA schools and the Big ten schools. It's central to the wrestling nation, not the USA as a whole. Probably has a decent airport. But that's not the point. Could be somewhere else. 

One of the best airports I’ve ever been too 

9 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why? I am not saying that it should be done this week or next week. It could be done in May. Invite the top 8 seeds. No one is obligated to come. I am sure an organizer could sell soem tickets.

Honestly dont think this issue will be resolved even by then.. I have a feeling things will get worse before they start to get better...

11 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Honestly dont think this issue will be resolved even by then.. I have a feeling things will get worse before they start to get better...

I don't know and neither do you (it seems). But the NBA is re-evaluating in 30 days. The bigger problem may be that kids won't be on campus and won't have a team to train with. 

Sure this is partly a thought experiment. But it's also something a wealth booster of the sport could do. What does it cost to rent, say, a mid-size college gym for a day and to hire a bunch of refs? Maybe a college gives you the gym gratis. You could defer expenses by selling 1000 tickets at $20 a head. 

Look, I am an ideas man. I will leave it to others to execute.

4 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't know and neither do you (it seems). But the NBA is re-evaluating in 30 days. The bigger problem may be that kids won't be on campus and won't have a team to train with. 

NBA is a pro sport, wrestlers are student athletes, universities have already moved to on-line classes.  Universities aren't changing things just for one group of student athletes, nor will NCAA.  Plus as said it is going to get worse before it gets better, we are in a science based approach to managing the problem.    

25 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Agreed it will likely get worse before it gets better.  The big thing seems to be when will the spike comes, and will these measures have been put in place in time enough to "flatten the curve" as they call it.  Did a lot of reading last night and the big thing seems to not be minimizing the number of people that get infected.  The statements being that this social distancing will not effect the total number of cases so much, but WHEN those get infected, and how spread out the contagion is.  Thats what got Italy in trouble, the big spike that over ran the hospitals and have them choosing between treating a coroanvirus patient or a cancer patient.  There have been many in Italy who have died because of the virus, but not from the virus.  By that I mean the number of patients far exceeds the resources to treat them, again not just the virus but other life threatening ailments that are not being treated because they can't.  Until we see that spike, we're not sure how bad its going to get.  (These are just guesses from what I read last night, not trying to come off as an expert around here)

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

NBA is a pro sport, wrestlers are student athletes, universities have already moved to on-line classes.  Universities aren't changing things just for one group of student athletes, nor will NCAA.  Plus as said it is going to get worse before it gets better, we are in a science based approach to managing the problem.    

Fine, this could be done w/o universities and without the NCAA. College coaches could coach their kids-- as they do at opens or freestyle tournaments-- or not. The competitors could attend -- or not. But I think if someone was willing to spend some money (not a lot, I think less than $10K) they could stage it. They could even pay the athletes (or at least the seniors who have no more worries about eligibility. I am down for $1000 of the cost if anyone want to partner with me). 

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Fine, this could be done w/o universities and without the NCAA. College coaches could coach their kids-- as they do at opens or freestyle tournaments-- or not. The competitors could attend -- or not. But I think if someone was willing to spend some money (not a lot, I think less than $10K) they could stage it. They could even pay the athletes (or at least the seniors who have no more worries about eligibility. I am down for $1000 of the cost if anyone want to partner with me). 

Serious question.  If you are down for the $1000 to put together this tournament, are you also down for the liability that comes should things go really bad?  That's something you have to think about.

23 minutes ago, NJDan said:

No college coach is going to coach at this given the situation and half (prob much higher) the wrestlers won't attend given siituation.  Lots of threads out there and pretty sure some have attempted to explain the science for you but I'm not going back to look.  Guess it hasn't worked but simple point: its not about wrestling.

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ptz305 said:

It doesn't matter if it is only two per weight class, the fact is universities do not want to be responsible for their athletes and employees traveling and potentially being exposed and exposing others to illness. Nothing is going to change. 

Please read the word "Delayed" 

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Serious question.  If you are down for the $1000 to put together this tournament, are you also down for the liability that comes should things go really bad?  That's something you have to think about.

yes, some of the cost would be appropriate insurance. people state wrestling tournaments large and small all the time. this can be done.