NJDan

Revived Tournament

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

No college coach is going to coach at this given the situation and half (prob much higher) the wrestlers won't attend given siituation.  Lots of threads out there and pretty sure some have attempted to explain the science for you but I'm not going back to look.  Guess it hasn't worked but simple point: its not about wrestling.

Of course it's not about wrestling. But the world is not going to end. At some point, maybe not is a week, maybe not in a month, but in the next few months, people will be travelling and going about their lives, wrestlers included.

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

yes, some of the cost would be appropriate insurance. people state wrestling tournaments large and small all the time. this can be done.

I understand they do.  The question is, do they put together tournaments under these circumstances, ignoring the lead of the entire professional and collegiate sports community in the process?  And in doing so, would the insurance companies be willing to take that on?  And if so, at what rate to the insured being that there is a very high risk of substantial liability that would go along with something like this?

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I understand they do.  The question is, do they put together tournaments under these circumstances, ignoring the lead of the entire professional and collegiate sports community in the process?  And in doing so, would the insurance companies be willing to take that on?  And if so, at what rate to the insured being that there is a very high risk of substantial liability that would go along with something like this?

Jeez. I am not saying to do this TODAY or next week. Do it at the proper time. I suggest that sometime in May would work. Could be wrong. But there will be a time in the not too distant future.

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Jeez. I am not saying to do this TODAY or next week. Do it at the proper time. I suggest that sometime in May would work. Could be wrong. But there will be a time in the not too distant future.

I dont know what the "Jeez" is for?

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

heck, why not hold it in Ohio they think there may be only 100,000 cases in Ohio.  Dont have a map handy is Pittsburg anywhere near Ohio?  ;_;

Wow, you are SOOOO wrong. Ohio has 5 cases. PA has 22. The numbers will rise. But right now, no state has more than 500 and only 4 are in triple digits. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?fbclid=IwAR1wNJDNvhPetvz7Gh8PPYyuyfBwnVyy55gIdjrcQT4vYltAilVcC0LvJGM

20 minutes ago, NJDan said:

yes, some of the cost would be appropriate insurance. people state wrestling tournaments large and small all the time. this can be done.

You seem to have a pretty clear vision on how to do this. Why dont you create a gofund me and see how far it gets you? Not being snarky.. genuinely saying this.

6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

In that case, I can't help you and am not sure anyone can.

So basically is it because of a different point of view, and looking a lot more that would go into something like this beyond "hey someone go rent a venue"?   Or is it something more?  Just curious what your issue with our discussion is.

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

You seem to have a pretty clear vision on how to do this. Why dont you create a gofund me and see how far it gets you? Not being snarky.. genuinely saying this.

Not a bad idea. But better someone else do it. The best person would be a known wrestling booster or maybe a club coach who knows people at colleges with gyms.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

It's central to a lot of the PA schools and the Big ten schools. It's central to the wrestling nation, not the USA as a whole. Probably has a decent airport. But that's not the point. Could be somewhere else. 

Kansas City would be more central.  Airport right there.

14 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Wow, you are SOOOO wrong. Ohio has 5 cases. PA has 22. The numbers will rise. But right now, no state has more than 500 and only 4 are in triple digits. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?fbclid=IwAR1wNJDNvhPetvz7Gh8PPYyuyfBwnVyy55gIdjrcQT4vYltAilVcC0LvJGM

Keep up buddy, those were previous "confirmed" cases.  If say 50% are going to get it, what do you think those #s look like and where are we already.  Most of us will be fine (and don't need to be tested) but still contagious till it passes.

12 minutes ago, ionel said:

Keep up buddy, those were previous "confirmed" cases.  If say 50% are going to get it, what do you think those #s look like and where are we already.  Most of us will be fine (and don't need to be tested) but still contagious till it passes.

The discussion was of current numbers, not future numbers.

If the pandemic dies down quickly (although it probably won’t) could Flowrestling put a tournament on? It could just run a folkstyle tournament and invite the top 8 seeds. But, in any case, there might be liability involved, and they might not want to touch that. 

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

If the pandemic dies down quickly (although it probably won’t) could Flowrestling put a tournament on? It could just run a folkstyle tournament and invite the top 8 seeds. But, in any case, there might be liability involved, and they might not want to touch that. 

Flowrestling-- yes, that's who should do it?

I’m an optimist, but I think this year’s NCAA tournament -in any form- is completely done with. 

I applaud the creative thinking, but due to the weight cutting and other aspects of our sport, I’d estimate that most of the qualifiers have already resumed eating and are “mentally checked out” regarding this tournament. Even more would likely be advised to avoid travel and crowds. I doubt that any coach would jeopardize their position by participating in an “alternative tournament” of the type being proposed  

I sympathize with the athletes and everyone else who put in years of effort and sacrifice only to have this event snatched away for reasons beyond their control. 

Edited by Old Corps

1 hour ago, Katie said:

If something like this were to happen inviting the top 8 probably wouldnt work. I'd imagine there would be a number of top 8 seeded guys that wouldnt be able to attend due to various scheduling conflicts as well as maybe their personal stance on this whole situation.

3 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Might as well get this thinking out of everyone's head. It's better to just move on. Yes, it hurts but some things are bigger than sports. 

A tournament in the future is doable.  There is a chance Corona may not be as serious as thought.

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

If something like this were to happen inviting the top 8 probably wouldnt work. I'd imagine there would be a number of top 8 seeded guys that wouldnt be able to attend due to various scheduling conflicts as well as maybe their personal stance on this whole situation.

The pure competitors who were eager to prove they deserved a title this year would go 

7 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

The pure competitors who were eager to prove they deserved a title this year would go 

Fans would want to see it.Wrestlers making weight 6-8 weeks from now with no places to train isnt happening.And no competitions prior.Just fans hoping thats all.