Jump to content
NJDan

Revived Tournament

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, calot said:

Fans would want to see it.Wrestlers making weight 6-8 weeks from now with no places to train isnt happening.And no competitions prior.Just fans hoping thats all.

I say you are wrong.   I think moore and lee would certainly go to prove they are best.  Make a weight allowance.  If UFC events can happen  a wrestling event can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

All fighters would have to do is go to mma gym to train.  Mma events still occurring.  Dana white changed venue from Ohio to Vegas in 2 days. A venue would not be issue.

 

1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

I say you are wrong.   I think moore and lee would certainly go to prove they are best.  Make a weight allowance.  If UFC events can happen  a wrestling event can.

I get what you're saying but again keep in mind you're coming from a purists mindset. Furthermore the UFC has a lot of money to work with and like it or not is a huge draw and bring in mainstream money to fund said instances. A make shift Folkstyle national championship on the fly would be incredibly difficult to put together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MDogg said:

On what map is Pittsburg a central location?

Pittsburg, kansas is only about 150 miles from Lebanon Kansas, the geographical center of the lower  48 states

===========

PittsburgH  Pennsylvania is probably within 150 miles of the point in the USA that half of the qualifying wrestlers live west of and half live east, half north, half South.

I haven't seen the normal list of qualifiers hometowns, but I would guess that point lies within the Triangle Columbus, Cleveland, Akron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, calot said:

Fans would want to see it.Wrestlers making weight 6-8 weeks from now with no places to train isnt happening.And no competitions prior.Just fans hoping thats all.

What do mean "no place to train."  They can exercise anywhere. They can spar with a local buddy or teammate. They can make weight if they want to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

 

I get what you're saying but again keep in mind you're coming from a purists mindset. Furthermore the UFC has a lot of money to work with and like it or not is a huge draw and bring in mainstream money to fund said instances. A make shift Folkstyle national championship on the fly would be incredibly difficult to put together.

Concur.

And any tournament other than the real NCAA tournament would never be respected as a valid replacement. 
 

The low level of wrestler participation (absence of many/most of the top guys) would produce obviously weak brackets compared to those that would have been in Minnesota. 

There’s only one NCAA tournament and sadly, this year...it doesn’t exist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

Concur.

And any tournament other than the real NCAA tournament would never be respected as a valid replacement. 
 

The low level of wrestler participation (absence of many/most of the top guys) would produce obviously weak brackets compared to those that would have been in Minnesota. 

There’s only one NCAA tournament and sadly, this year...it doesn’t exist. 

Its like trying to company PA or NJ States to MAWA Eastern Nationals. Even the very best job they could do to run this tournament would not compare in the slightest and most people would not consider it to be a valid event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, calot said:

Fans would want to see it.Wrestlers making weight 6-8 weeks from now with no places to train isnt happening.And no competitions prior.Just fans hoping thats all.

Said no competitive wrestler ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lurker said:

So basically is it because of a different point of view, and looking a lot more that would go into something like this beyond "hey someone go rent a venue"?   Or is it something more?  Just curious what your issue with our discussion is.

It's because you don't understand the idea that he has continually said when it is the appropriate time.....he didn't say "hey someone go rent venue"....he doesn't have an issue with the discussion other than you not getting the point that he is not saying now, but you keep responding like he is saying now. Even a guy like me from Idaho gets what he is saying. Maybe it's because we are the March Madness tournament winner of the last state to  not have a confirmed case nor shut down the school system. 

EDIT: We just got our first confirmed case. Last to.hold out. 

Edited by Idaho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Idaho said:

It's because you don't understand the idea that he has continually said when it is the appropriate time.....he didn't say "hey someone go rent venue"....he doesn't have an issue with the discussion other than you not getting the point that he is not saying now, but you keep responding like he is saying now. Even a guy like me from Idaho gets what he is saying. Maybe it's because we are the March Madness tournament winner of the last state to  not have a confirmed case nor shut down the school system. 

EDIT: We just got our first confirmed case. Last to.hold out. 

So in his and I conversation, there was no mention of time frame until that specific post. after reading your post I went back through the whole thread and saw he brought it up elsewhere. Later down the road would make sense. I have some questions about that but don’t want to come across as arguing for the sake of arguing. But I see later down the road makes....more sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lurker said:

So in his and I conversation, there was no mention of time frame until that specific post. after reading your post I went back through the whole thread and saw he brought it up elsewhere. Later down the road would make sense. I have some questions about that but don’t want to come across as arguing for the sake of arguing. But I see later down the road makes....more sense. 

Thumbs up....because I don't know how to do that in little symbols. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I say you are wrong.   I think moore and lee would certainly go to prove they are best.  Make a weight allowance.  If UFC events can happen  a wrestling event can.

They would prove nothing with an 8 man field. All past champions have stood up to the rigors of making weight 3 days, and working through 30 guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Coachp said:

They would prove nothing with an 8 man field. All past champions have stood up to the rigors of making weight 3 days, and working through 30 guys.

That's true, but how often does anyone win who was not in the top 8 seeds? Very rarely. No one would say this would equal to the full NCAA Championship. It's a cheaper substitute that could still claim to prove who is the best college wrestler in the land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I say you are wrong.   I think moore and lee would certainly go to prove they are best.  Make a weight allowance.  If UFC events can happen  a wrestling event can.

Hopefully, the very top guys will be deep into their Olympics, or OTT, training by then, but I'd certainly love to see everyone else wrestle.

I'm pretty skeptical the logistics will be so easily managed, but I'd love to it see come fruition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a month or two, you will be able to see some sporting events start up again without fans.  So wrestling events can be possible.  What won't be possible for many months are packed gymnasiums with fans/competitors.  The only way to return to complete normalcy prior to the development of a vaccine are the following: 1.  most people get infected-thereby resulting in herd immunity, which will result in hundreds of thousand or possibly millions dying.  2.  There is a huge increase in the amount of testing and almost everyone gets tested and then quarantined, thereby completely eliminating the virus from circulation-I don't think there is the capacity to carry out testing at the scale I'm describing here.  

For the forseeable future, large events just won't be possible.  And even though we are likely to see a decrease in cases in the coming months because of the measures presently in place and warming temperature, that will just lead to people returning to work while maintaining distance.  The entire point of the next year is to limit the rate of spread of this virus while maintaining some type functioning economy/medical system.  After the situation improves over the next couple months, nobody is going to risk going back to where we are today and will be in the next 14 days.  

 

The UFC will be able to hold their events with fans in other countries with less responsible leadership and without fans in the U.S.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, whaletail said:

Hopefully, the very top guys will be deep into their Olympics, or OTT, training by then, but I'd certainly love to see everyone else wrestle.

I'm pretty skeptical the logistics will be so easily managed, but I'd love to it see come fruition.

It won't be easily managed.  But it is possible.  I believe it would even be more possible if a rich country or investor or venue set up a deal with FLO so there would be zero United States liability.  

Or we could go the Vegas route.  I am not saying we should have fans.  Just the wrestlers, maybe 1 or 2 coaches, and refs.  If guys are screened for the virus, I just don't see the risk.  If people are going to go to 200, 500, 1000 member churches on Sunday, I think that takes the crowd argument. 

 

As of right now West Virginia does not have a reported case of the virus.  Why can't we have somewhere in West Virginia?  People just aren't thinking outside the box.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDan said:

That's true, but how often does anyone win who was not in the top 8 seeds? Very rarely. No one would say this would equal to the full NCAA Championship. It's a cheaper substitute that could still claim to prove who is the best college wrestler in the land.

I agree with your answer. Beggars can't be choosers.  We would be blessed with any kind of wrestling tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

As of right now West Virginia does not have a reported case of the virus.  Why can't we have somewhere in West Virginia?  People just aren't thinking outside the box.  

Sounds like an excellent way to contaminate and bring the virus to West Virginia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I agree with your answer. Beggars can't be choosers.  We would be blessed with any kind of wrestling tournament. 

Blessed? I have to disagree with that notion. 

It's over. 

It's just over.

Start thinking next season - it'll be here in November. We'll all be back and at full strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Blessed? I have to disagree with that notion. 

It's over. 

It's just over.

Start thinking next season - it'll be here in November. We'll all be back and at full strength.

Maybe this is showing why the ufc is so much stronger than wrestling?  You should not give up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's over.Fan is short for fanatic so obviously fanatics want to see a NCAA tournament.But the reality is the tournament is over.If the NCAA was gonna reschedule anything it would be March Madness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Maybe this is showing why the ufc is so much stronger than wrestling?  You should not give up 

The UFC's taking immense heat for not canceling today's event, and understandably so.

They're not even testing those attending (media, fighters, coaches, judges, refs, etc.), and Dana White's idea of scanning groups with infrared thermometers is absurd.

From everything I've read, they don't even have appropriate liability insurance (illness isn't covered), let alone any sort of plan to really reduce risk (assuming that's even possible).

He's trying to take advantage of the absent sports competition, and willing to jeopardize the public health immensely in that pursuit.

As much as I'm a pretty big UFC fan, this isn't wise, and things could go very wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...