NJDan

Revived Tournament

26 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Why even say anything?  Negativism.  That is what brings stuff down.  America was not built on negativism.  People thought we could never fly either.  This is a much smaller challenge. 

I sent you a PM... you're right. Negativism does bring stuff down. My advice was to give up, but you soldier on. Best of luck on your endeavor.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, NJDan said:

That's true, but how often does anyone win who was not in the top 8 seeds? Very rarely. No one would say this would equal to the full NCAA Championship. It's a cheaper substitute that could still claim to prove who is the best college wrestler in the land.

nope

I wanted to post Chael's take.  He knows more about wrestling, training, production, venues, and he has more personal connections to the athletes than we do.  He advocates for the word "postponed" being used.  I mean, we are America and we are acting like holding a wrestling tournament is going to Mars.  

1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

I wanted to post Chael's take.  He knows more about wrestling, training, production, venues, and he has more personal connections to the athletes than we do.  He advocates for the word "postponed" being used.  I mean, we are America and we are acting like holding a wrestling tournament is going to Mars.  

Makes a great point. But he should have noted that the decision was made not by wrestling powers, but by the NCAA. and is applied to all sports.

13 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Makes a great point. But he should have noted that the decision was made not by wrestling powers, but by the NCAA. and is applied to all sports.

And I also wonder if Chael and others think that maybe the people who do this thing for a living looked at postponement alternatives?  I mean I wasn't in the room but I can't imagine the only two options looked at and discussed were have it on time or cancel it all together.

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And I also wonder if Chael and others think that maybe the people who do this thing for a living looked at postponement alternatives?  I mean I wasn't in the room but I can't imagine the only two options looked at and discussed were have it on time or cancel it all together.

I think the reaction time was not enough to get an alternate venue and plan the logistics.  If they said “postpone” from the start, people will be waiting for the announcement.  

better to just say “canceled” and let some schools or other entities do the legwork.  

15 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

I think the reaction time was not enough to get an alternate venue and plan the logistics.  If they said “postpone” from the start, people will be waiting for the announcement.  

better to just say “canceled” and let some schools or other entities do the legwork.  

I don't disagree, I'm referring to people who seem to think there was zero thought into possibly being postponed and jumped straight to just cancel the whole thing.  And again keeping in mind you can't just do for one sport and not do for the rest of them as well.  So it wasn't just about figuring out how to postpone the wrestling tournament or the men's basketball, etc etc.  Have to do the same thing for all.

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I don't disagree, I'm referring to people who seem to think there was zero thought into possibly being postponed and jumped straight to just cancel the whole thing.  And again keeping in mind you can't just do for one sport and not do for the rest of them as well.  So it wasn't just about figuring out how to postpone the wrestling tournament or the men's basketball, etc etc.  Have to do the same thing for all.

Exactly.  It’s better to have people pleasantly surprised in case conditions change.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's is exactly why I have said for days that it would work if another entity besides the NCAA's put it on.  That's not new.

Just now, shieldofpistis said:

Nothing spells entitled to having the freedom to spend 14 hours a day in a wrestling message forum like you.  

Nothing spells entitled like a 43 year old man moaning and groaning demanding that pther people put together a tournament months after the season ends, expecting the top wrestlers to hold weight, keep training, stay sharp and compete at their highest level (because if they dont theyre not true competitors) all for the entertainment and enjoyment of said 43 year old man who has a poor internet temper who has his wife write his emails for him because because he comes off like a jerk online. All your words, not mine.

Just now, shieldofpistis said:

The place is the easy aspect.  Having a respectable entity outside of ncaa is the only challenge.  Venue way easier than people think.

So go book it! You have any idea how many places are going to be fighting for venues after this whole thing passes? Obviously not.