Cptafw164

I had COVID-19...this is BS

2 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

No, I get Y2K but not much else of the tech-speak.  But I'm illiterate that way.

the reason y2k wasn't a disaster is because people spent an insane amount of time and money to fix it before y2k, not because it wasn't a problem.

Edited by ugarte

1 minute ago, ugarte said:

the reason y2k wasn't a disaster is because people spent an insane amount of time and money to fix it before y2k, not because it wasn't a problem.

why did you have to mess up a good story with facts?  ;_;

2 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

About par for the course. There is a certain segment of the population that trusts idiots over experts. The experts are getting paid to do what they do, after all, so how can they be trustworthy? An idiot online giving his opinion for free has no reason to lie or deceive. One idiot rode this line of thinking all the way to the White House. And of course slashed funding the CDC and severely hampering their ability to respond to a situation like this.

The OP told us about his first hand experience with corona. Not sure why you're calling him an idiot... that's not cool. The CDC and mainstream media have a long trackrecord of exaggerating the threat posed by the virus du jour. What's idiotic is the segment of the population that unquestioningly submits to every new scare... never learning to be skeptical of the claims made by the so called experts.

1 minute ago, vegetable lasagna said:

The OP told us about his first hand experience with corona. Not sure why you're calling him an idiot... that's not cool. The CDC and mainstream media have a long trackrecord of exaggerating the threat posed by the virus du jour. What's idiotic is the segment of the population that unquestioningly submits to every new scare... never learning to be skeptical of the claims made by the so called experts.

op's expertise is "not dying" congrats to him. i'm also not dead yet but it doesn't make me an expert.

28 minutes ago, vegetable lasagna said:

Human beings have survived....and died.... 10's or 100's of thousands of years in the face of countless numbers of viruses and microbes and other threats... without vaccines, medicines, quarrantines, etc. ... We'll be alright.

Just added a little nugget for ya...to make it even more factual.

The OP’s takeaway is hey it was fine for me, why is everyone worried? It’s terrible logic and it flies in the face of literally all the reports coming around the world. This is a “we” thing now. You decisions right now affect other people. If someone can’t handle a couple cancellations to protect the most vulnerable they are the biggest wuss bags in generations. 

6 minutes ago, vegetable lasagna said:

What about the segment that is initially a little skeptical, then they decide to do some reading on their own that doesn't come from CNN, Foxnews, twitter, or sports related message boards, and learn that hey, maybe there is sense in these cancellations, and maybe we should take some extra precaution for a short period of time?  Is that idiotic?

@Cptafw164 do you have to take precautions to prevent from re-catching and retransmitting the virus? Last I heard, the WHO wasn't yet certain if recovering from Covid-19 makes one "immune" to future bouts of the illness (not enough data at the time) but was wondering if there has been any updates.

Sad to see that people like the one who started this thread care nothing for anyone else. I am a healthy person. I am a 33 year old man who works out, does cardio, and Thai boxing daily. I eat very healthy. So I’m a very low risk person. That being said, I am also a family man and I am very close to some loved ones that are at risk. My 80 year old grandparents are very healthy for their age, but they are at risk. My mother is a tad over weight so that puts her at risk. Lord knows we all have unhealthy friends who are at risk. Heck, If you care about nobody except your own family, surely as a wrestler you care about Dan Gable. At his age he at risk.
This stuff is not political. I have a close family member who works at the cdc, and told me two week ago (when my main concern was the NCAA’s being Canceled) that it’s not a matter of if, but when, that the government will have to start closing schools, canceling events, etc... I suggest people that believe this is a bio weapon listen to someone who knows their stuff. Listen/watch Joe Rogan’s recent podcast (# 1439) with an infectious disease Epidemiologist. This guy breaks it down and proves just how bad it’s going to get in America. He also states that man could not come up with a bio weapon this bad. The reason it came from China is because they eat any kind of food from monkeys straight from a tree, to dogs on the street.

1 minute ago, vegetable lasagna said:

Helpful... to anyone that didn't know already that people die, sometimes by diseases caused by viruses and bacteria. 

You have a good point, I'm guessing people didn't already know that people survived too.  My bad.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What about the segment that is initially a little skeptical, then they decide to do some reading on their own that doesn't come from CNN, Foxnews, twitter, or sports related message boards, and learn that hey, maybe there is sense in these cancellations, and maybe we should take some extra precaution for a short period of time?  Is that idiotic?

No, it's not. But I responding to somebody's suggestion that it's idiotic to be skeptical... 

2 minutes ago, vegetable lasagna said:

Well, by the way some are reacting to this....

I'm just guessing here.  But I'm guessing their reaction is not because they didn't know people have actually survived, but because they don't want to join the 1000's that have died.  Just a hunch.  Have a good day.

4 minutes ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

Sad to see that people like the one who started this thread care nothing for anyone else. ...

That's a silly thing to conclude about the OP or anyone else in this thread. My father is 87 years old, so squarely in a high risk group and I am very concerned about him. I talked to him this morning and he's not too worried about the virus (he's seen these things come and go... and when it's his time, so be it), but extremely concerned about the stock market and his retirement account

2 minutes ago, RajaThaiKnee said:

Sad to see that people like the one who started this thread care nothing for anyone else. I am a healthy person. I am a 33 year old man who works out, does cardio, and Thai boxing daily. I eat very healthy. So I’m a very low risk person. That being said, I am also a family man and I am very close to some loved ones that are at risk. My 80 year old grandparents are very healthy for their age, but they are at risk. My mother is a tad over weight so that puts her at risk. Lord knows we all have unhealthy friends who are at risk. Heck, If you care about nobody except your own family, surely as a wrestler you care about Dan Gable. At his age he at risk.
This stuff is not political. I have a close family member who works at the cdc, and told me two week ago (when my main concern was the NCAA’s being Canceled) that it’s not a matter of if, but when, that the government will have to start closing schools, canceling events, etc... I suggest people that believe this is a bio weapon listen to someone who knows their stuff. Listen/watch Joe Rogan’s recent podcast (# 1439) with an infectious disease Epidemiologist. This guy breaks it down and proves just how bad it’s going to get in America. He also states that man could not come up with a bio weapon this bad. The reason it came from China is because they eat any kind of food from monkeys straight from a tree, to dogs on the street.

I too listened to the Joe Rogan interview and quite frankly it scared the heck out of me.  I also realized how much the media is not telling us in order not to hurt the feelings of those responsible for this. How quickly we forget the dog food from China that was killing our dogs in 2015 or  more recently the concerns over toys from China that lack some of the safety standards others use. 

24 minutes ago, vegetable lasagna said:

I'm not scared at all, but I will listen to the experts and take the precautions they claim are necessary to help lessen the severity of this outbreak. Not doing so would be idiotic. The NCAA, all major pro sports, government offices, private businesses, etc. are doing the same because losing even one of their members/employees is not worth it, and it will help the healthcare system get this under control more quickly. Willful ignorance is not an admirable trait.

2 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

My profession requires me to travel frequently.  I went to south Korea in November and Japan in December.  Got sick in Feb when I was in Tacoma.  I just stayed in my hotel and drank water, Gatorade and slept.  Came back and they said it was Covid.  

It took me out for approximately 3 days.  I DID have a flu shot, so that helped because I had SOME more antibodies to help.  

But this is complete BS and 100% political.  H1N1 didn’t cause this much hysteria.  My 3.5 year old daughter got H1N1 and she survived.  

You are 100 percent correct that it is "BS" and "100% political".    It's yet another false panic brought on by ------------ do I REALLY have to say it?

FACT is as many as 650,000 people die worldwide from the yearly seasonal flu.................this Wuhan virus so far is responsible for 36 deaths in the United States.   FAR more people have died this year from the yearly flu .................FAR MORE.   Yet the media has everyone in a panic.   And the fools among us are all outdoing themselves trying to battle something that is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

This virus is just like THOUSANDS of viruses that have come before it.   It will run it's course and die out.   Viruses like this have been around since the dawn of time.  But I'm sure I've taken up way to much of everyone's time here so I'll let the fools among us get back to their media induced PANIC.  That being the individuals who STILL believe the BS the media pushes on them every single day.

7 minutes ago, Bronco said:

This virus is just like THOUSANDS of viruses that have come before it.   It will run it's course and die out.   Viruses like this have been around since the dawn of time.  But I'm sure I've taken up way to much of everyone's time here so I'll let the fools among us get back to their media induced PANIC.  That being the individuals who STILL believe the BS the media pushes on them every single day.

imagine thinking that this is media-driven when every institution in the world is shutting down. get out of your head.

54 minutes ago, Rk_Kerk said:

This was an extreme hypothetical. Of course there would be deaths in all age brackets. Just very top heavy.

I was merely pointing out in the insanely most extreme possible scenario. Humans survive, society goes on. 

Fear, is going to cause a lot of buisness to go under. People to lose a huge chunk of their retirement, causing them to work longer. All because of fear over a pandemic that humans have conquered over and over 

You know what will cause many more businesses to go under?  Not treating this pandemic with the serious response it deserves.  Sorta like what you are advocating.  Let me guess:  you believe that climate change happened all the time, and we conquered it every time.  No biggie, right?

44 minutes ago, vegetable lasagna said:

"So-called experts," eh?  If you lived in a hurricane zone and the "experts" said there was a good chance that a Category 5 hurricane would hit your area in three days, would you prepare for the worst, or wait until it is too late because, well, you are skeptical of the experts?  If you had a diagnosis of cancer and the "experts" said you'd be dead in a month if you didn't receive treatment X, would you listen to them or not because, well, you are skeptical of the experts?  Which "experts" do you heed, and which do you ignore?  Oh, and look up the Dunning-Kruger effect.

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

You know what will cause many more businesses to go under?  Not treating this pandemic with the serious response it deserves.  Sorta like what you are advocating.  Let me guess:  you believe that climate change happened all the time, and we conquered it every time.  No biggie, right?

Well climate change has been happening all the time for 100 of millions years. Do I believe humans can accelerate Climate Change absolutely.

However I also believe Humans, wildlife, the planet are incredibly gifted at adapting. We will survive, we will innovate, maybe we even relocate if waters got to high.

The science behind climate change is undeniable. The hysteria and omg we will never survive is overblown on that front as well. At least imo which means nothing, and has no effect on you besides thinking I’m and idiot.

1 minute ago, Rk_Kerk said:

Well climate change has been happening all the time for 100 of millions years. Do I believe humans can accelerate Climate Change absolutely.

However I also believe Humans, wildlife, the planet are incredibly gifted at adapting. We will survive, we will innovate, maybe we even relocate if waters got to high.

The science behind climate change is undeniable. The hysteria and omg we will never survive is overblown on that front as well. At least imo which means nothing, and has no effect on you besides thinking I’m and idiot.

If the science behind it is undeniable, how can you deny the severity of it?