Cptafw164

Sharrat gone as Navy Coach

Well, his hire by navy bewildered me.  He managed to get so many high level recruits at AFA but never got an all-American.  I was happy to seem him hired, from an army perspective, because his programs turn into a graveyard.  They shouldn’t have snuffed Antonelli.  They would have to offer Antonelli A LOT to leave Blair.  

Hope Army can get some of those recruits.  Maybe Key will call coach Ward so he can fill a spot at 184.  

Edited by Cptafw164

I think Joe Johnston might be a good fit for this role.  Former Iowa guy, 11 years as an assistant during Mizzou's most successful years to date, and experience as an associate head coach at Air Force.  The Mid - Mid upper weights had a lot of success when he was at Missouri. I know there are bigger names out there, but I think he is an ideal guy for that program.  He is a great guy and has the perfect character and discipline for the position at Navy imo.  I also think he is someone who would stay in that program and not look for something bigger and better.

14 hours ago, Housebuye said:

He did get an all american

Not his recruit.  Miller got hurt his junior year, sharrat’s first year, and got AA the next year. 

I am talking about all his AF blue chips and his best navy recruits from Florida and one guy who was ranked #1 in his weight class. 

15 minutes ago, scramble said:

I think Joe Johnston might be a good fit for this role.  Former Iowa guy, 11 years as an assistant during Mizzou's most successful years to date, and experience as an associate head coach at Air Force.  The Mid - Mid upper weights had a lot of success when he was at Missouri. I know there are bigger names out there, but I think he is an ideal guy for that program.  He is a great guy and has the perfect character and discipline for the position at Navy imo.  I also think he is someone who would stay in that program and not look for something bigger and better.

If Johnston was under sharratt (an IOWA guy under gable) I would pass.  Antonelli is the best fit.  Blair and Navy grad.  Navy assistant under one of the best coaches ever (Burnett).  

I cant tell you how happy I was when Burnett left, although I knew they would just hire Antonelli and the dominance would continue.  Then they hired Sharratt, the equivalent of “magic beans” of coaching.  

2 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

If Johnston was under sharratt (an IOWA guy under gable) I would pass.  Antonelli is the best fit.  Blair and Navy grad.  Navy assistant under one of the best coaches ever (Burnett).  

I cant tell you how happy I was when Burnett left, although I knew they would just hire Antonelli and the dominance would continue.  Then they hired Sharratt, the equivalent of “magic beans” of coaching.  

Just out of curiosity, what was bad about Burnett?

Johnston actually wrestled for Iowa durning Zalesky's tenure. He does a great job developing student athletes.  He was probably the main reason Michael Chandler was an A.A. In fact he played a big part in the success of guys like Marable, Chandler, Houdashelt, Mayes, Lavallee, and to a degree Jordan, Leeth, and Lewis.  Most of those guys were not big time recruits, if any (Maybe Lewis).  Johnston was a big part of their development. 

A school like Navy, Air Force, etc., are not going to get a bunch of top tier recruits.  So I don't think they need a huge recruiting name. Imo, they need a coach who can develop really good, but no necessarily great wrestlers coming out of high school. Developing that really good kid who may not be getting much scholarship elsewhere and convincing the to go to the Academy, then developing them above expectations is key for those programs. He is a genuine standup family guy too, and would fit that culture.  Last year was his first year as associate head coach at Air Force. I don't think most kids commit to the Academy's because of the sport necessarily.  Largely due to the extended commitment beyond. 

5 hours ago, scramble said:

Johnston actually wrestled for Iowa durning Zalesky's tenure. He does a great job developing student athletes.  He was probably the main reason Michael Chandler was an A.A. In fact he played a big part in the success of guys like Marable, Chandler, Houdashelt, Mayes, Lavallee, and to a degree Jordan, Leeth, and Lewis.  Most of those guys were not big time recruits, if any (Maybe Lewis).  Johnston was a big part of their development. 

A school like Navy, Air Force, etc., are not going to get a bunch of top tier recruits.  So I don't think they need a huge recruiting name. Imo, they need a coach who can develop really good, but no necessarily great wrestlers coming out of high school. Developing that really good kid who may not be getting much scholarship elsewhere and convincing the to go to the Academy, then developing them above expectations is key for those programs. He is a genuine standup family guy too, and would fit that culture.  Last year was his first year as associate head coach at Air Force. I don't think most kids commit to the Academy's because of the sport necessarily.  Largely due to the extended commitment beyond. 

I'd look at Navy's 2020 recruiting class before mentioning they don't get quality recruits. However, I do agree on the development front for sure. Coaching at the academies is no joke and I hope they will be able to find the right fit. 

7 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

I'd look at Navy's 2020 recruiting class before mentioning they don't get quality recruits. However, I do agree on the development front for sure. Coaching at the academies is no joke and I hope they will be able to find the right fit. 

I don't mean to imply that they can't pull in top guys.  I am just meaning that they aren't going to pull the quantity you see at the likes of PSU, OSU, tOSU, IA, and even Michigan, ASU, etc.  Just they are on more of the lines of the 8-20 type schools.  I know as a parent I would be more than happy to have my son go to any of the academies.  When you look at programs like Missouri, VT (initially when Dresser came in), Wyoming,  and programs like that they are really good at developing the talent level they get.  With Dresser I am meaning when he first went to VT.  Now it is a little different because he has established himself.  At first though he did a great job developing what he had after the big exit of all those guys to IA. 

Army’s 2017-18 prep school class won TOURNAMENTS.  They had 3x va beach sr national champs.  Three of them started as freshmen.  Five of them were starters this year in one of their best teams!  All five of them were ranked.   

Oddly enough, the VAST majority of wrestlers were recruited by prospecting, not them contacting the coaches.  

Why?  Because:

1.  Free ride to one of the best schools on the nation.  They pay you a monthly stipend!

2.  5 year commitment doesn’t sound bad when they have seen older siblings graduate college and live at he for 3-5 years until they find a job/career where they want and can be on their own.  You have a job as soon as you graduate AND a career if you want it.  

3.  WCAP pays you your pay grade to be a full time wrestler.  That is your first 5 years right there!