Sign in to follow this  
pamela

NCAA 2020 Postseason Awards

Just messing around since we are socially distanced and don't have the tournament to talk about. Feel free to correct or add your own:

• Actually the Most Dominant: Spencer Lee, Iowa (4 pins, 9 TF, 3 MD, 1 FFT)
  • Most pins: Jacob Schwarm, UNI (17 falls, avg 2:10 per fall)
  • Participation Award/Most Active RS: Jonathan Ross, Lock Haven (63 matches)
  • Best Match: Rivera - Gross @ B1G Championships
  • Most Improved Team: ASU (15-2, 260 team points)
  • Most Improved Wrestler: Luke Pletcher, tOSU (runner-up: Kimmer)
  • Most Lollipop Kid: Luke Pletcher, tOSU
  • Next Year’s Most Improved Wrestler: Sammy Alvarez, Rutgers
  • Next Year's Most Improved Coming Off of ORS: Vito Arujau, Cornell
  • Attack Only One Side Award: Nick Lee, PSU
  • Most Rubbery knee: Austin DeSanto, Iowa
  • Best Head Smush: Gable Steveson, Minny
  • Biggest Surprise Transfer: Willie Saylor, Flo to Rockfin
  • Last Laugh Award: Zahid Valencia, ASU
  • Biggest Scandal: Cinnabuns weaseling out of his charity bets
  • Biggest Duck: that’s a tough one... Lee - Glory?

A lot of these very good. With one exception. The duck award to Lee. Dude was on a pitch count, that included and had just very successfully dominated a tougher bracket than anything the NCAA had to offer. My opinion, They had a plan with midlands and whoever was in and advanced through the bracket was not a factor. 

Just now, Lurker said:

A lot of these very good. Last laugh and surprise transfer probably my faves! 
With one exception. The duck award to Lee. Dude was on a pitch count, that included and had just very successfully dominated a tougher bracket than anything the NCAA had to offer. My opinion, They had a plan with midlands and whoever was in and advanced through the bracket was not a factor. 

27 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A lot of these very good. With one exception. The duck award to Lee. Dude was on a pitch count, that included and had just very successfully dominated a tougher bracket than anything the NCAA had to offer. My opinion, They had a plan with midlands and whoever was in and advanced through the bracket was not a factor. 

Agreed.  Spencer Lee, while likely is the best we have in NCAA, this year, he skipped his 3 toughest matches of the year.  

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What are the other two besides Glory? And do any of those, Glory included, offer the level of competition at the senior national?

Glory twice right plus semi at midlands.  Was it DeAugustino?

2 hours ago, pamela said:

Just messing around since we are socially distanced and don't have the tournament to talk about. Feel free to correct or add your own:

Very good!

Shirely, (I mean Pamela) if you can give DeSanto a "rubbery knee" award, you can give RBY the "missing arm" award.  ;)

Also seems like there's surely an award for Tom Brands, maybe Carl as well.

Edited by ionel

2 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Glory twice right plus semi at midlands.  Was it DeAugustino?

I’m still of the opinion that he was on a pitch count and whoever was in the semi and final the decision remains the same. Which is to say I don’t think he or Brands were ducking glory and whoever was in the semi after just dominating a bracket that included six ncaa championships. If you’re of a different opinion, nothing wrong with that. 

He missed a match the week before the US Senior Nationals that happened to be a long road trip to wrestle in a bracket with 6 former NCAA National Champions in it and then took a couple of matches off the weekend immediately after the US Senior Nationals to qualify for the United States Olympic Trials.  Brands had said Lee wasn't wrestling at Midlands, but then it changed, because they realized the RPI required a few matches more than they had planned for...this was stated in an interview.  This sounds like good planning to me after a tough weekend of wrestling in a two-day tournament the week prior to Midlands.  If he gets hurt the week before US Senior Nationals the prospect of making the US Olympic Trials would have been much more difficult.  This is a kid that wrestled in a tournament with better competition than anybody he was to wrestle at this year's NCAA Tournament in the middle of the NCAA season.  Don't forget that Lee won the NCAA bracket that was selected as the toughest of the NCAA Tournament in a prior year and Glory was in his NCAA bracket and didn't earn the right to wrestle Lee.  Lee is 2-0 against Glory beating him 17-2 and 12-6, I don't see Lee being intimidated.  He beat a common opponent this year by a major decision that Glory beat by a decision and if you watch both matches, Lee was far more dominant in his win than Glory was in his win.  There was no doubt who was the better wrestler against Oklahoma State, whereas Glory was a scramble away from a very competitive match.  Also, Glory needed overtime to beat Lehigh.  Lee's closest match was 8-1, which was his only decision win and he later defeated that same opponent 19-3 at the Big 10 Tournament,  To say Lee ducked anyone is a joke.  He could have ducked the entire NCAA season to focus on freestyle just as Suriano and Fix did, but he chose to make his goal of making the US Olympic Team more difficult by trying to balance the rigors of both tasks, winning the NCAA Tournament and US Senior Nationals and then 2-weeks after the NCAA Tournament the US Olympic Trials and we want to be critical of him for missing three total scheduled matches.  Lee was wrestling at a different level this year and I don't see him ducking anybody.  Any comments otherwise, in my opinion, is more of a personal agenda of a poster than something that can be considered a rationale comment.  

Edited by mistydawn
additional comment

3 hours ago, mistydawn said:

He missed a match the week before the US Senior Nationals that happened to be a long road trip to wrestle in a bracket with 6 former NCAA National Champions in it and then took a couple of matches off the weekend immediately after the US Senior Nationals to qualify for the United States Olympic Trials.  Brands had said Lee wasn't wrestling at Midlands, but then it changed, because they realized the RPI required a few matches more than they had planned for...this was stated in an interview.  This sounds like good planning to me after a tough weekend of wrestling in a two-day tournament the week prior to Midlands.  If he gets hurt the week before US Senior Nationals the prospect of making the US Olympic Trials would have been much more difficult.  This is a kid that wrestled in a tournament with better competition than anybody he was to wrestle at this year's NCAA Tournament in the middle of the NCAA season.  Don't forget that Lee won the NCAA bracket that was selected as the toughest of the NCAA Tournament in a prior year and Glory was in his NCAA bracket and didn't earn the right to wrestle Lee.  Lee is 2-0 against Glory beating him 17-2 and 12-6, I don't see Lee being intimidated.  He beat a common opponent this year by a major decision that Glory beat by a decision and if you watch both matches, Lee was far more dominant in his win than Glory was in his win.  There was no doubt who was the better wrestler against Oklahoma State, whereas Glory was a scramble away from a very competitive match.  Also, Glory needed overtime to beat Lehigh.  Lee's closest match was 8-1, which was his only decision win and he later defeated that same opponent 19-3 at the Big 10 Tournament,  To say Lee ducked anyone is a joke.  He could have ducked the entire NCAA season to focus on freestyle just as Suriano and Fix did, but he chose to make his goal of making the US Olympic Team more difficult by trying to balance the rigors of both tasks, winning the NCAA Tournament and US Senior Nationals and then 2-weeks after the NCAA Tournament the US Olympic Trials and we want to be critical of him for missing three total scheduled matches.  Lee was wrestling at a different level this year and I don't see him ducking anybody.  Any comments otherwise, in my opinion, is more of a personal agenda of a poster than something that can be considered a rationale comment.  

It’s not against Lee at all to state facts.  If anything, I’m ridiculously pro Lee.  But in this case, I could see Kollin Moore being awarded the Hodge based on the criteria.

Noah Adams has to be most improved he is 32-0, and last year was 20-17. He maybe a little overrated. I guess we won’t find out now. But he won 32 matches and never lost this year. 

14 hours ago, pamela said:

good stuff!

10 hours ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

Jonathan Ross 53-8.  Holly sh@t that is alot of matches.   He went to every open tourney. Not a single dual!  Mad respect to get as much in his seniorr year.

Ikr?? Blows my mind. I don't know what the record is for most # of matches in a season, but that's got to be up there.

7 hours ago, WV304 said:

Noah Adams has to be most improved he is 32-0, and last year was 20-17. He maybe a little overrated. I guess we won’t find out now. But he won 32 matches and never lost this year. 

Yah, I think Adams is a worthy candidate for Most Improved. Pletcher was the one who came to mind because his offense this season was unlike anything we've seen from him.

19 hours ago, ionel said:

Very good!

Shirely, (I mean Pamela) if you can give DeSanto a "rubbery knee" award, you can give RBY the "missing arm" award.  ;)

Also seems like there's surely an award for Tom Brands, maybe Carl as well.

Yes, let's hear it! Maybe also Koll, Zeke and Tom Ryan too haha.

Oh and Dresser