Sign in to follow this  
Peso

Any possibility of later date NCAA Championships?

I've read a few posts with pie in the sky ideas, so I thought I'd throw mine out there.  Since there is a fairly high chance that heat thwarts this virus, could we give an 8 pound allowance and wrestle this the first week in June?  I understand the chances are slim to none, but I believe if given that option or coming back for another full year of the grind, I would have chosen a Summer Championship.  Of course, I was a num nuts in college so granted, you guys in the hunt for a title would probably have felt different?

I hope we were able to save 10's of thousands of lives, with our unprecedented actions.  If we had an open tournament with the 33 qualifiers who made the dance the only wrestlers eligible for each weight, I'll bet a **** ton of them would show up to do that.  No way you could find a ticket to it.

I was thinking something similar like do a 6-week season starting June 1.  Gives athletes some time to acclimate and if enough notice is given, the quality of the sports should be good.  Even if they are a bit rusty, everyone would be so thankful to compete and spectate that it wouldn’t matter.  Would also be cheaper than another year of eligibility and simpler on the rule books. 

Does Spencer Lee show up and risk injury if hes on the Olympic team? Or what if the Olympic trials are up in the air that point and being dealt with. I love the enthusiasm but the reality is it will be almost impossible to pull off. Furthermore it will absolutely lost a lot of steam and momentum. Finally if theyre going to reschedule ANYTHING it will be Men's basketball. Until that happens Im going to say this is a hard no. If men's bball happens then there may be a glimmer of hope.

2 hours ago, Peso said:

I hope we were able to save 10's of thousands of lives, with our unprecedented actions.  If we had an open tournament with the 33 qualifiers who made the dance the only wrestlers eligible for each weight, I'll bet a **** ton of them would show up to do that.  No way you could find a ticket to it.

They would.

22 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Does Spencer Lee show up and risk injury if hes on the Olympic team? Or what if the Olympic trials are up in the air that point and being dealt with. I love the enthusiasm but the reality is it will be almost impossible to pull off. Furthermore it will absolutely lost a lot of steam and momentum. Finally if theyre going to reschedule ANYTHING it will be Men's basketball. Until that happens Im going to say this is a hard no. If men's bball happens then there may be a glimmer of hope.

This needs to happen outside of ncaa. Maybe after trials.

3 hours ago, Peso said:

Since there is a fairly high chance that heat thwarts this virus 

Unfortunately, "fairly high chance" is only being hopeful.  

Who in their right mind thinks this virus is going away in the next month? Is everyone busy hoarding toilet paper and groceries and ignoring the projections?  March 2021 is going to be the next NCAA tournament, and if everything goes well, there is a decent chance fans will be able to attend.  

18 minutes ago, stp said:

Unfortunately, "fairly high chance" is only being hopeful.  

The heat should slow it down, but if it does, it is expected to have a second season starting in the fall.  That's assuming these measures can effectively stop the spread before then and we aren't left with a fully infected population with herd immunity.  

1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

This needs to happen outside of ncaa. Maybe after trials.

Dude. Youve been the most passionate about this. Got start a gofundme and reach out to Flo if they can run the event. Raise money to fund the event.

Edited by BigTenFanboy