Sign in to follow this  
dps831

Mark Hall Twister Study (Powerful Pinning Technique)

**** In the Lehigh Valley of PA, this has always been called The Cement Job.  The key is getting the Chin.  There are many variations (Flying Cement Job,  Concrete Special and others).  The origins as far as I was told a long time ago, originally came from Wade Schalles when he was at Clarion.  Wade developed it and Don Rohn learned it there and brought it back to the Lehigh Valley when he started coaching at Hazleton then Northampton.  Pretty soon every Lehigh Valley school (Northampton, Nazareth, Easton, Parkland and others) were using it.  I was at a Lehigh practice one day when Coach Tom Hutchinson had Tommy Rohn (Don's son) put on a clinic for the rest of the team.  There is a famous video of Rob Rohn of Lehigh, pinning Josh Lambrecht of Oklahoma in the NCAA Finals, after losing something like 14-2 with less than 2 minutes to go, (See attached

link).

To add,  D. Rohn was doing a more simplistic version on his own in HS. It involved the undehook front head and arm. What I remember of it was that it was mainly a muscle move where he punched through the underhook side in a form of a pancake and as he punched through on one side he would lock up his hands under the far arm and finish the other guy off. I think he called it either a double trouble or a double double. Then he went to Clarion and as CBTL says above showed him all the current versions.

18 minutes ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** In the Lehigh Valley of PA, this has always been called The Cement Job.  The key is getting the Chin.  There are many variations (Flying Cement Job,  Concrete Special and others).  The origins as far as I was told a long time ago, originally came from Wade Schalles when he was at Clarion.  Wade developed it and Don Rohn learned it there and brought it back to the Lehigh Valley when he started coaching at Hazleton then Northampton.  Pretty soon every Lehigh Valley school (Northampton, Nazareth, Easton, Parkland and others) were using it.  I was at a Lehigh practice one day when Coach Tom Hutchinson had Tommy Rohn (Don's son) put on a clinic for the rest of the team.  There is a famous video of Rob Rohn of Lehigh, pinning Josh Lambrecht of Oklahoma in the NCAA Finals, after losing something like 14-2 with less than 2 minutes to go, (See attached

link).

Interesting stuff - appreciate the detailed background info! 

**** I remember another time when I went to a Lehigh practice, and instead of practice, the room was being used by visiting high school teams from WVA, SC and NY, who were in town to wrestle (Easton, Nazareth and Northampton), in what was named I think The Lehigh Valley Challenge Duals, (I may be wrong about the actual name).  Top schools from other states would come in and take on the LV best.  While there, I remember one of the area wrestling guys came up to the coach from SC and asked:" Are you ready for the Cement Job?"  The coach said "I think we've got it covered."  Well that night one by one the teams from the other states got shellacked 62-3, 59-6, 69-0, or similar scores as they learned first hand what Lehigh Valley Wrestling was all about.

I also remember while I was working in the NE PA area, (while working for Allied Signal Aerospace), around 1987 or so, The PA State Regionals, were coming up and some of my Co-Workers were discussing how the local boys would take care of the District 11 boys.  Some of their wrestlers had gaudy records like 29-0, 31-1 and 31-2 and were seeded 1st in the Regionals.  The D 11 boys had records of 26-5, 25-4, 27-6 or such, as hardly anyone was undefeated because they all traded wins against each other.  Well, the Regionals came and went and one by one the local District Champs and Runner Ups were beaten (some very badly), by D11 wrestlers (with lower seeds) with lesser records.  The locals just could not understand how that happened.  I just commented: "D11 wrestling is a whole different animal and very few survive unbeaten".  True Story.

6 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

To add,  D. Rohn was doing a more simplistic version on his own in HS. It involved the undehook front head and arm. What I remember of it was that it was mainly a muscle move where he punched through the underhook side in a form of a pancake and as he punched through on one side he would lock up his hands under the far arm and finish the other guy off. I think he called it either a double trouble or a double double. Then he went to Clarion and as CBTL says above showed him all the current versions.

Interesting, I also used to see Judo guys do a move like this in wrestling, since it is based on a similar technique. I think instead of catching the opponent's chin though, the idea was to reach across and grab the opponent's far side tricep or wrist, or your own left arm if you had overs. That way, it would put the opponent's shoulder in a tucked position and easier to roll through. I think the way Hall does it with the chin and an underhook is tougher to pull off, but it ultimately puts you in a good position for a pin.

I have also seen, and was taught by Schalles, is off the quarter Nelson:

From a quarter Nelson, you move the hand posting the head to the chin and hold your forearm.  

some have called it the “Chinchilla” and I believe it is illegal.  Hence why Schalles taught it at the wrestling camp I went to in HS.