NJDan

Best Sports movies

12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-sports-movies-ever.html

Per Vox, Foxcatcher is #5 and The Wrestler (which is kind of a wrestling movie) is #7. Not surprisingly, baseball and boxing dominate the Top 10.

2 of my favorites

Brians Song 

Somebody Up There Likes Me

Edited by Marcus Cisero

I would not call either of those "sports movies," which perhaps explains their omission. Don't recall "Gladiator" being that great anyhow, though I would put it well ahead of "Happy Gilmore."

6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I would not call either of those "sports movies," which perhaps explains their omission. Don't recall "Gladiator" being that great anyhow, though I would put it well ahead of "Happy Gilmore."

5 Academy Awards but not that good.  But you'd call Happy Gilmore & Caddyshack sports movies.  Golf is not even a sport see:

there's no chance of serious injury, 'pick up the d#%@ ball' ...  Now chariot racing & the gladiator ring, again I refer to the Carlin sport definition above.  ;)

Edited by ionel

The consensus view is that golf is a sport, which makes golf movies sports movies. I guess chariot racing may have been a sport in its day. I don't recall Ben Hur well enough to know hether chariot racing was key to the plot. That said, I have never heard of Ben Hur being called a sports movie.

16 minutes ago, NJDan said:

The consensus view is that golf is a sport, which makes golf movies sports movies. I guess chariot racing may have been a sport in its day. I don't recall Ben Hur well enough to know hether chariot racing was key to the plot. That said, I have never heard of Ben Hur being called a sports movie.

Take a look at the photo again, there's 1 big star and then 4 other characters depicted, those 4 are a clue.  ;)

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Gladiator was a great movie.  Are you not entertained?  I watched it a dozen times.  Happy Gilmore was not a great sports movie but it was full of the moronic humor that I love.

Edited by jross

being a gladiator is the original mma

in no particular order 

the natural

friday night lights 

moneyball

Hoosiers

a league of their own

cinderella man

Ali

Titans

For the love of the game

all the right moves     terrible movie... but a better version of varsity blues

bang the drum slowly?  is that about the astros cheating?

never saw the express... is it any good? 

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

So you were not entertained?

1 minute ago, pamela said:

Hmm, I thought Rudy would be up there?

I don't really remember the Friday Night Lights movie but the TV series was pretty good.

Rudy is #35.

Friday Night Lights SHOUD be there. The movie, the book and the TV show were all great.

i just can't take sean astin seriously 
What? Are you crazy? He led his group of friends to a lost pirate treasure while taking down a ruthless development company. He dug up a cave man in his back yard. He works his ass off to earn admission to Notre Dame and walk on the football team. He helped Frodo get to Mt. frickin Doom. And he helps a group of kids defeat the demogorgon. You're just wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

What? Are you crazy? He led his group of friends to a lost pirate treasure while taking down a ruthless development company. He dug up a cave man in his back yard. He works his ass off to earn admission to Notre Dame and walk on the football team. He helped Frodo get to Mt. frickin Doom. And he helps a group of kids defeat the demogorgon. You're just wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's nothing compared to the time he and his buddies saved his upper class private school from a takeover by terrorists.  He was the real MVP that time

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

I guess chariot racing may have been a sport in its day. I don't recall Ben Hur well enough to know hether chariot racing was key to the plot. That said, I have never heard of Ben Hur being called a sports movie.

52 minutes ago, NJDan said:

A recent movie that should be on the list: "Ford v. Ferrari." It's great.

I guess car racing may have been a sport in its day.  I've seen Ford v. Ferrari twice but don't recall well enough to know whether car racing was key to the plot. That said, I'm not sure if heard of Ford v. Ferrari being called a sports movie.  ;)