NJDan

Best Sports movies

On 3/16/2020 at 12:09 AM, pamela said:

Wrestling: Vision Quest

Pro Wrestling: Nacho Libre

Basketball: White Men Can't Jump, Teen Wolf (tie)

Football: Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Baseball: Major League

Soccer: Bend It Like Beckham

Hockey: MVP The Most Valuable Primate

Golf: Caddyshack

Boxing: Rocky 3

Karate: The Karate Kid (the original one)

Surfing: North Shore

Skateboarding: Thrashin

Skiing: Better Off Dead

Diving: Back to School

Cheer: Bring It On

Bobsled: Cool Runnings 2

Nascar: Talladega Nights

Figure Skating: Ice Princess

Illegal Street Racing: Fast and the Furious

Arm Wrestling: Over the Top

Dance Battle: U Got Served

Break Dancing: Beat Street

Rap Battle: 8 Mile

Running: Prefontaine

Ice Hockey: Miracle

Competitive Beer Drinking: Beerfest

Gymnastics: American Anthem

MMA: Bloodsport

Edited by BigTenFanboy

This is sad. I mean why not our Searching for Bobby Fisher and Dora the Explora (sp?) on the list since we’re being ridiculous. 

That said, even though it was a must see, I didn’t love Foxcatcher as a movie and most of my non wrestling fans never heard of it. 

On 3/15/2020 at 4:33 PM, NJDan said:

A recent movie that should be on the list: "Ford v. Ferrari." It's great.

No way! That fantasy film is the the fictionalized version of the 2016 documentary, "The 24-Hour War". The latter is far superior story about those events, featuring the people who were involved in those historic events.

Also, how about the following?:

"Win Win"

"Reversal"

"Karate Kid" (original)

"Cobra Kai" (YouTube follow-up to the original "Karate Kid")

"Breaking Away" (cycling)

"Wrestle" (streaming on some platform; there'sa thread here about it)

Amazon has a documentary about Lee Kemp.

"The Sandlot"

"Bull Durham"

The Netflix series "Losers" - REALLY good!

ESPN "30 for 30" shows are usually good.

Edited by Tofurky

Oldest sports/wrestling movie. Clan of the Cave Bear. Oldest in the sense that it took place around 30-40,000 BP. I think there were scenes in there of wrestling and running competition among the Neanderthals. Those obviously would be the oldest Hominid athletic competition

Always wanted to see this movie... unfortunately its very tough to find.. Kurt Angle plays the antagonist's coach.

There was also a trailer that I saw back in 2002ish for a documentary called "Life is Easier" following a high school senior from State College High School in his quest for a state title. I think his name was Jeremy Hart, but not sure... never saw or heard anything about that film after the trailer...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

On 3/17/2020 at 1:00 AM, BigTenFanboy said:

Lets be honest... we love VisionQuest because of wrestling, but in terms of an actual movie it was nothing special...

I'm with you.....I watched it once, and taped over it......I'm sure it was some actual wrestling meets that went over it.  I have a huge video library of wrestling....doesn't bother me to not have Vision Quest in it.   I wasn't a huge fan of Foxcatcher, but I did really like Team Foxcatcher....there is a big difference....Team Foxcatcher is a documentary on Netflix, and includes footage of Dave.

I wish someone who make a wrestling movie/series that was similar to the Friday Night Lights tv show. Interesting complex characters and storylines where the athletes just happen to be wrestlers and their daily grind. A good sports movie/show should be able to have the sport virtually interchangeable and stand up on its own feet regardless of what sport is involved and FNL does this.

I hated the movie Reversal.

Kid wrestles for his dad.

Dad forces kid to cut weight.

State champ moves to his school.

Kid cuts weight the wrong way.

Kid beats state champ in wrestle off.

Kid quits wrestling all together seconds after winning wrestle off.

Kid leaves town and dad has never been more proud.

The whole movie made no sense, but i still purchased the dvd to support wrestling inspite of the movie being so bad...

Hadley's Rebellion, is somewhere between Vision Quest and Beyond The Mat, preceding Vision Quest by a year or two in filming, but wasnt released until 1987. You can tell by the rules surrounding the wrestling sequences. It features some folks who later gained notoriety in Hollywood.

I found the whole thing through a Google search, but it's on a Russian site. I have it somewhere on VHS, but I'm not looking for it or paying to digitize it.

8 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

Hadley's Rebellion, is somewhere between Vision Quest and Beyond The Mat, preceding Vision Quest by a year or two in filming, but wasnt released until 1987. You can tell by the rules surrounding the wrestling sequences. It features some folks who later gained notoriety in Hollywood.

I found the whole thing through a Google search, but it's on a Russian site. I have it somewhere on VHS, but I'm not looking for it or paying to digitize it.

Is that the one about the shy country kid who takes up wrestling and (spoiler alert, sorry) ends up punching out a kid at the wrestling meet??

I might be misremembering it a little bit but we rented a movie along those lines ages ago from the video store. My brother had no memory of it all, even though I’m pretty sure he picked it off the shelf, and I was going insane for a while trying to find the title!!