NJDan

Best Sports movies

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I wish someone who make a wrestling movie/series that was similar to the Friday Night Lights tv show. Interesting complex characters and storylines where the athletes just happen to be wrestlers and their daily grind. A good sports movie/show should be able to have the sport virtually interchangeable and stand up on its own feet regardless of what sport is involved and FNL does this.

I would like to seen BiG network do some 'journey' shows like they have for basketball

I think this would be compelling TV

On 3/16/2020 at 7:30 AM, vsnej said:

Really, Hoosiers and The Natural belong in the top 10

and...

Bull Durham

Vision Quest

Slap Shot

Goon

Miracle

The Longest Yard (original)

North Dallas Forty

2 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

Yep, that's the one! Ryan O'Neill's kid looks all of 16, while the he guy he wrestled looks like a 39-year-old plumber from that era.

THANK YOU for posting that! Also sorry everyone for posting the spoiler, but that was pretty much the only detail I could remember, haha. Hadley’s Rebellion never ever comes up in wrestling movie discussions so I thought for years that maybe I was nuts and made it up in my mind or something. 

Right after you posted, I immediately Googled the title and it looks like the full movie is online here: https://rarefilmm.com/2019/07/hadleys-rebellion-1983/

I know what I’ll be watching tonight!

15 minutes ago, GockeS said:

I would like to seen BiG network do some 'journey' shows like they have for basketball

I think this would be compelling TV

I agree. HBO and ESPN does some cool stuff following a specific team or teams around from the preseason all the way through competition. The HBO boxing also does great a series with daily coverage of boxers leading up to their big match. Like we don’t even care about boxing but the training camps and promotions and storylines are pretty captivating stuff. 

Flo does a little bit of this. It would make for a great series if they have the access and resources to do so.

One of my favorite movie clips is the last fight in "Lion Heart."  The whole movie is not very good.  But when Van Damme gets knocked down and his trainer is trying to talk him into staying down, and Van Damme says, "Wrong Bet"-----great clip. 

Rocky 4 was the only time in a movie when the entire theater applauded while I was watching a movie. 

Not a baseball fan, but one of my favorite movies period is "A League of There Own".  Best lines="There's no crying in  baseball" AND "If it was easy, everybody'd  want to do it".  Great song at the end, maybe during the credits.....Madonna, singing "This Used to be My Playground"     https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zcsNM1Kyc6pNDJg9JItycgsVigtTk1RKMlXSEpVyK1UKMhJrEwvyi_NSwEAT4MPeQ&q=this+used+to+be+my+playground&oq=this+use&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46j0l4j46j69i61.4113j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by fadzaev2
correction

"Pumping Iron" with Arnold and Big Lou gave the world its first real look into the world of bodybuilding and the intensity, determination and pain tolerance that is required to reach the top levels.

On 3/15/2020 at 4:37 PM, shieldofpistis said:

Rocky is the greatest 

But Dangal was awesome wrestling movie. Probably best wrestling movie I have seen. 

Dangal, by far the best.  It was almost good enough to get my daughters interested. 

3 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

All the Rocky's, Miracle, Secretariat, Dangal, and Rudy are some of my favorite sports movie.  My wife likes the tv show "Haven" though so we've been watching a lot of that. 

Shield - have you seen Facing the Giants? I watched that at least a dozen times, probably more than that.

1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Shield - have you seen Facing the Giants? I watched that at least a dozen times, probably more than that.

Yes. I forgot about that one!  I was ministering to Chinese and Taiwan college students and one of them decided to accept Jesus Christ after Facing The Giants. I then baptized her a few weeks later at church.  Very good memories. 

Have you seen Flywheel?

7 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Yes. I forgot about that one!  I was ministering to Chinese and Taiwan college students and one of them decided to accept Jesus Christ after Facing The Giants. I then baptized her a few weeks later at church.  Very good memories. 

Have you seen Flywheel?

I didnt want to elaborate out of respect for the forum, and yes I've seen Flywheel an equal number of times. I own them both.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

The fact that Remember the Titans, Vision Quest, Draft Day, The Rookie, Hardball, Mr. Baseball and Mystery, Alaska are not on the list makes the list irrelevant...and I didn't even mention kid sports movies (Ladybugs, Little Big League, Rookie of the Year, Angels in the Outfield, etc.).  I would certainly consider those sports more than pool (Don't get me wrong...I love Color of Money).  Also, I know Foxcatcher automatically gets a high bid on these forums, but let's be honest...for a non-wrestling fan or people without interest in the Dave Schultz story, the movie is very slow and boring.  Movies such as Tin Cup, Hoosiers, Caddyshack, Eight Men Out and Rudy are so low on the list, again, makes the list hard to agree with.

Edited by The_MO_Godfather

59 minutes ago, The_MO_Godfather said:

The fact that Remember the Titans, Vision Quest, Draft Day, The Rookie, Hardball, Mr. Baseball and Mystery, Alaska are not on the list makes the list irrelevant...and I didn't even mention kid sports movies (Ladybugs, Little Big League, Rookie of the Year, Angels in the Outfield, etc.).  I would certainly consider those sports more than pool (Don't get me wrong...I love Color of Money).  Also, I know Foxcatcher automatically gets a high bid on these forums, but let's be honest...for a non-wrestling fan or people without interest in the Dave Schultz story, the movie is very slow and boring.  Movies such as Tin Cup, Hoosiers, Caddyshack, Eight Men Out and Rudy are so low on the list, again, makes the list hard to agree with.

The list could have been expanded upon by others had it not been for the same attention-seekers who seem to hijack every thread. We get it. You’re smart, we’re not. You know it all, and we don’t. How nauseating.

18 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

my eyes are my link pharmaman.  I've been here long enough to make that assessment. So what is your favorite sports movie?

I like how you moved you king back to safety, even while maintaining your ludicrous assessment, and then tactfully changed the subject. 

Cinderella Man,  Remember The Titans, The Rookie, Million Dollar Baby

Secretariat was entertaining but racing scenes unrealistic and story line nowhere near the facts  

9 minutes ago, MedicineMan said:

I like how you moved you king back to safety, even while maintaining your ludicrous assessment, and then tactfully changed the subject. 

Cinderella Man,  Remember The Titans, The Rookie, Million Dollar Baby

Secretariat was entertaining but racing scenes unrealistic and story line nowhere near the facts  

I see you mentioned a few boxing movies. Raging Bull and Somebody Up There Likes Me are two of my favorites.