NJDan

Best Sports movies

15 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I see you mentioned a few boxing movies. Raging Bull and Somebody Up There Likes Me are two of my favorites.

Marcus,  I know this is a thread about sports movies but let me ask your advice about 2 movies. 

1917 and Parasite.  I have not seen either of those 2 movies.  Are they worth it?

8 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Marcus,  I know this is a thread about sports movies but let me ask your advice about 2 movies. 

1917 and Parasite.  I have not seen either of those 2 movies.  Are they worth it?

I'm not familiar with either. To be honest, I haven't watched a movie coming out of Hollywood in 30 years - and that's the truth.

1 hour ago, shieldofpistis said:

1917 is excellent, riveting from beginning to end.

Parasite was awesome. It's already available for purchase on Prime for streaming and should probably be either included or available to rent on the other platforms soon.

OTOH...

I watched Hadley's Rebellion for like the second time ever and WOW, it really did not age well. Lol. Not that it was a gem during its heyday, but I remembered it being much better than it was. My brother and I probably gave it more credit than it deserved at the time bc it was a wrestling movie besides Vision Quest (we rented it after VQ came out).

The Breakfast Club - I’m aware that this isn’t a wrestling movie, but it does include Andrew Clark (Emilio Estevez), who was a returning State Champion, now entering his senior year. Illinois, a notoriously tough state for High School wrestling, leads me to believe that Andrew is the real deal. He’s involved here. - Kevin Claunch

From Who is the Best Movie Wrestler Ever: An Exercise on bloodround.com.  The article has worthy references for this discussion.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:41 PM, BigTenFanboy said:

I hated the movie Reversal.

Kid wrestles for his dad.

Dad forces kid to cut weight.

State champ moves to his school.

Kid cuts weight the wrong way.

Kid beats state champ in wrestle off.

Kid quits wrestling all together seconds after winning wrestle off.

Kid leaves town and dad has never been more proud.

The whole movie made no sense, but i still purchased the dvd to support wrestling inspite of the movie being so bad...

Agreed.  The movie itself was horrible and made wrestling look bad, but the wrestling quality was actually pretty good as far as movies go.  The training montage wasn’t too bad either.

Just watched Legendary.  It was okay, but bad wrestling.   Had to laugh at the “reverse cradle” which was basically just reaching back for the head from bottom.  The main kid had pretty bad technique, although not sure if it was a stunt double or something but when he was shadow wrestling in the hallway he actually looked like he knew what he was doing.

9 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Agreed.  The movie itself was horrible and made wrestling look bad, but the wrestling quality was actually pretty good as far as movies go.  The training montage wasn’t too bad either.

Just watched Legendary.  It was okay, but bad wrestling.   Had to laugh at the “reverse cradle” which was basically just reaching back for the head from bottom.  The main kid had pretty bad technique, although not sure if it was a stunt double or something but when he was shadow wrestling in the hallway he actually looked like he knew what he was doing.

The "best" part of the movie Legendary was when the kid is walking out and John Cena sets up the pyro for him to walk through.. 3 issues here... 1 the fire hazzard for setting pyrotechnics in a crowded high school gym... 2. If John Cena is supposed to be a national champion wouldnt he know it was impossible for his brother to not win the match unless he pinned his opponent? Yet acted all stunned like.. "what is the ref going to do???" 3. Kissing the girl on the middle of the mat right after his opponent got his arm raised.. i mean come on....

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

The "best" part of the movie Legendary was when the kid is walking out and John Cena sets up the pyro for him to walk through.. 3 issues here... 1 the fire hazzard for setting pyrotechnics in a crowded high school gym... 2. If John Cena is supposed to be a national champion wouldnt he know it was impossible for his brother to not win the match unless he pinned his opponent? Yet acted all stunned like.. "what is the ref going to do???" 3. Kissing the girl on the middle of the mat right after his opponent got his arm raised.. i mean come on....

Ha I thought maybe they were hoping after talking with the assistant they’d call it a pin or something.

Nice to run to the finals from the 26 seed though.

Just watched the documentary “Junkyard Dogs” on Amazon Prime about the wrestling team at some rich Cali prep school coached by former ASU AA Gary Bairos.  He filmed it and it was from his POV which was pretty cool. I enjoyed it.

Also watched “Philly Kid” which came up as a suggestion when I was looking for wrestling movies, but it was more about cage fighting (but the main character supposedly used to be a wrestler).  Wasn’t a bad movie though.

Yeah I binged several movies in Prime this past week including Junkyard Dogs.  Figured it was some inner city LA school trying to survive with no school support.  Turns out it was some prep schools kids trying to prove themselves to their peers but with again little school support. Bairos started out just trying to film technique and through the side stories ended up sticking with the camera and making a doc.  I liked the development of the main kids from know nothing new program to competing with some of the better California kids.  I’d also recommend it. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

Yeah I binged several movies in Prime this past week including Junkyard Dogs.  Figured it was some inner city LA school trying to survive with no school support.  Turns out it was some prep schools kids trying to prove themselves to their peers but with again little school support. Bairos started out just trying to film technique and through the side stories ended up sticking with the camera and making a doc.  I liked the development of the main kids from know nothing new program to competing with some of the better California kids.  I’d also recommend it. 

Yeah the one kid who ends up quitting's mom was pretty funny.   "Did you know that wrestling is the sport that causes the most injuries?   I don't like that he quit tennis for wrestling"   And then Bairos says to him "you know your mom is raising you to be a hypochondriac right?" 

Any other good ones?  Wrestling wiht Iowa was OK, interesting to see Sorenson as a youngin.   I still need to watch the Lee Kemp one.  Will probably pay the $1.99 for "A Shot in the Dark." 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah the one kid who ends up quitting's mom was pretty funny.   "Did you know that wrestling is the sport that causes the most injuries?   I don't like that he quit tennis for wrestling"   And then Bairos says to him "you know your mom is raising you to be a hypochondriac right?" 

Any other good ones?  Wrestling wiht Iowa was OK, interesting to see Sorenson as a youngin.   I still need to watch the Lee Kemp one.  Will probably pay the $1.99 for "A Shot in the Dark." 

I pretty much watched all of the wrestling ones that I hadn’t seen previously.  

Documentaries are my thing most of the time. The evolution of Kenji from pudgy freshman to man on a mission senior in Junkyard dogs is clearly the heart of the story.   The small feature of a HS Jake Varner at the end was nice to see too   He basically head figure foured his way though state.     Another movie Wrestling shows more of the down and out side of keeping kids off the street from a Huntsville, Alabama HS program.

I agree seeing young Sorenson was worth watching Wrestling with Iowa.  I like hearing from the other 4 timers during the video.   In a similar vein Pinned show a similar view of Ohio mostly from the Palmers point of view.  Takedown & Falls also along those line from Pennsylvania.   

The Lee Kemp one was a great doc.   Helps you appreciate him on the mat as well as him as a man trying to overcome life’s curveballs off the mat.

Wrestling with Life worth a watch too.  Tells the story of David Nowich building a Colorado youth program after the passing of this twin brother.  It has a very young Colton Schultz in it.  Plus if you look real close a Schultz vs Mason Parris match at Tulsa Nationals.  

A Shot in the Dark tells the story of a legally blind wrestler trying to place at New Jersey State.   

Mack Wrestles is a recent mini-doc covering the story of Mack Beggs to wrestle in the Texas AAs a trans-gender athlete.   I believe they made or are making a longer documentary about this story too.     

If you can locate it there is an American Experience episode about Teysha Alo that’s not bad. She was a dual sport wrestling & judo stud who had several age group battles with Kayla Miracle.   However, she sense moves on to living family life rather than continue with international competition.  

Another tv show Extreme Adventures has a episode that spends some time exploring Senegal’s style of wrestling.  Some scary looking dudes there. Planet Fight has a  Rey similar episode as well.  From the few videos I’ve seen of Senegal’s wrestling they definitely have some element of wrestling down.  Possibly with a little guidance and technique some of youth wrestler in that area could at least look comparative on the world level by the time they get to the senior level.  

If you are ok with sub-titles (I’m not usually but this was worth it) the documentary about an Iranian youth wrestling program called Boys with Broken Ears is excellent.    Another doc Win By Fall is a similar style but following some young female wrestlers Working their way through the German wrestling system.  

There is a doc on Spencer Lee although that story is mostly know due to his popularity and recent success.   But it does have a few behind the scenes elements worth hearing . 

ESPN put out a doc on The Streak about the Bronson, Florida program with the longest dual winning streak in the nation.  Haven’t seen it in awhile, but I believe one of the Grajalas kids are in it.  

There is a better version of the Fox Catcher story out there in doc form, but can’t recall it’s name.  Two docs were made one was Team Foxcatcher and I can’t recall the other.   I liked one of them a lot better than the other in terms of information and interviews and both were much better than the movie.  

The Wizard is based on a true story and had some good moments.  Plus some underlying cultural issues related to an Iranian family living in the US in the 1980s.  

First Match is a movie of a inner city girl trying out for the wrestling team.   It’s got a lot of life drama aspects to it.  

That’s all I have off the top of my head that we’re not over talked about in above posts.   I also recently went into a deep doc dive into the punk rock scenes of the 70in LA, NY and NJ but that’s not relevant to this.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Would be nice to have a sub-forum added about wrestling related movies and docs.  A easy to find resource for those wanting to watch films, tv episodes, documentaries, or YouTube features on wrestling.  One post per movie with a description of it (maybe link to imdb or something), where you can find it to watch, and maybe a poll to vote on how much you liked it for other members to go by.  Then comments under that about the film.  Seems like a great resource. 

On a related not I wish the Legends of the Mat sub-forum got more use or the mod would be more vigilant to transfer a few topics about the older wrestlers, coaches, and/or teams over there.  That type of info is great to save for future reference that would get used. 

Edited by MadMardigain

MadMadigan:  To read about older wrestlers, try the book "Legends of the Mat: Stories of 34 of America's Greatest Wrestlers of all Time", written in  2006. It starts out with Earl Caddock, an Iowan who was undefeated as an amateur and won 3 AAU national titles but lost his chance to compete in the 1916 Olympics due to WW I ,then turned professional  when it was still legitimate and won the world heavyweight tile. Earl served as a dougboy in WWI and suffered lung damage. Also in the book are Robin Reed, Jack Van Bebber, Stanley &Josiah Henson, Henry Wittenberg, Bill Koll, Glen Brand, Bill Smith, Dan Hodge, Doug Blubaugh,Terry McCann, Gray Simons,  Bobby Douglas, Rick Sanders, Wayne Baughman, Dan Gable, Chris Taylor, John & Ben Peterson, Wade Schalles, Lee Kemp, Bruce Baumgartner, Ed & Lou Banach, Dave & Mark Schultz,  Randy Lewis, Ken Monday, John smith, Kevin Jackson, Tom & Terry Brands, Rulon Gardner,  and Cael Sandeson.  I wrote it with the primary purpose of keeping alive the stories of these amazing men. --  Mike Chapman

33 minutes ago, iwrite said:

To read about older wrestlers, try the book "Legends of the Mat: Stories of 34 of America's Greatest Wrestlers of all Time", written in  2006. 

I’ll have to look into it.  I’m not a big reader but I can get into biographies, especially if each chapters a different one.  

On a similar not I have a copy of Season on the Mat and loved it.  I also have on my shelf The Dream Team of 1947, but although it’s short I haven’t had a chance to read it yet.  I’ve been tempted to buy Four Days of Glory, which sounds basically the same as the Wrestling with Iowa doc, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet due to not yet finishing the previously mentioned book. 

Edited by MadMardigain

spent a few minutes this afternoon watching BiG Network on the mat

a few good sessions.

this is kind of what i was talking about earlier... but they weren't very long.

Ithink the series they run for bball and fball is journey or big ten elite. two different things.

would be neat to see a big ten elite for some of the iowa teams of the 80's and minn in the 00's(tho i have both of their highlite vids, pretty awesome) and even the PSU of the 10's
then go back to msu and psu with their early titles.

btw, great list mad mardigan i will be lookin for those!

On 3/18/2020 at 4:48 PM, Tofurky said:

Choke on this one for a bit. If nothing else, it stars Lorenzo Lamas and "Flounder" from Animal House.

LOL.....after the last dual meet of 9th grade our coach took the whole Jr High team to see that turd of a movie!! I guess it WAS a wrestling movie, albeit a bad one. Afterwards he took us all to Red Lobster for all you could eat fried shrimp.  We all thought it was cool the coach was treating us right, but he ended up taking a job at a HS on the other side of Tulsa the next year. Won a few state team titles in Class A, as well.