NJDan

Best Sports movies

On 3/22/2020 at 8:37 AM, 1032004 said:

Just watched the documentary “Junkyard Dogs” on Amazon Prime about the wrestling team at some rich Cali prep school coached by former ASU AA Gary Bairos.  He filmed it and it was from his POV which was pretty cool. I enjoyed it.

Also watched “Philly Kid” which came up as a suggestion when I was looking for wrestling movies, but it was more about cage fighting (but the main character supposedly used to be a wrestler).  Wasn’t a bad movie though.

Stumbled upon the movie "Warrior" on Amazon Prime yesterday.   Not really a believable story but not bad - again moreso about MMA but has a few seconds of wrestling clips/discussion.   Kurt Angle is in it.

Going back to a previous discussion, FRL was talking about Reversal a few weeks back and about how bad it was.   Never realized the guy who played Thurman Ellis was Justin Spates, 2x PA champ, son of Jack Spates who coached Cornell and Oklahoma, and brother of Jeremy Spates a 2x AA for Mizzou and head coach at SIUE.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, 1032004 said:

Scrolling through Disney+, I saw there was apparently a Disney TV movie from the 2000’s about wrestling called “Going to the Mat.”  Wayne Brady is in it apparently

i have it on vhs somewhere. Recorded when it was on tv back in like 2004ish. It stars Andrew Lawrence brother or Joey and Matthew Lawrence as a blind high school kid who takes up wrestling. Learns how to wrestle from his girlfriend who is the coaches daughter through ballroom dancing moves. Very silly, light hearted movie in typical 2000s disney fashion.

Heres the full movie on Youtube

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Has anyone seen these Helen Maroulis videos from 2016 prior to the Olympic Trials on the History Channel?  Not bad, never knew they existed:

Episode 1: 

Episode 2:

Episode 3 (spoiler: apparently she had to cut like 20 lbs):

Episode 4:

Episode 5:

Episode 6:

Episode 7:

On 5/21/2020 at 1:31 AM, 1032004 said:

Stumbled upon the movie "Warrior" on Amazon Prime yesterday.   

One of my favorite movies, if anyone has a brother and watches this, it will get you.

5 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Obnoxious question, does caddyshack count?

Of course it does. Same with Happy Gilmore. I hate golf and am ambivalent about the two movies (though "the price is wrong, bitch" is somewhere just behind "leave the gun, take the cannoli" on the most pitch-perfect lines in cinema list.) But, golfers like the films. Sorta like Vision Quest for us: even the wincey (my 12-year-old daughter assures me "cringe" is the word I'm looking for) parts are good. Unlike say, Legend of Bagger Vance or Sultan.

Edited by jackwebster

On 5/13/2021 at 2:04 PM, BerniePragle said:

Best ever sports movie, Slap Shot.

I've never even seen it, but I'm going to have to agree. My friend played club hockey at UVA, and the team got together for a watch party. Those dudes were excited for the screening.  For about a week, they were constantly dropping lines from the movie . . .

Edited by jackwebster

You know what movie is deceivingly accurate in its wrestling choreography? FIRST MATCH. It follows a hard-knock kid who uses wrestling as a way to channel her frustrations, escape some bad family dymanics, and more-or-less afternoon special things. Granted, the wrestling is terrible; but, most wrestling at that level is terrible. The characters depicted aren't at beast or iron man. They are the kids who start wrestling in HS when a coach is trying to fill out a team.

Edited by jackwebster

Witwhiz -- great pick. I knew Bob Mathias personally and in 2001 brought him to the wrestling museum in Newton, Iowa, for our celebrity golf event. Imagine winning the Olympic decathlon title at age 17, then repeating 4 years later. Bob was also a standout football player at Stanford,  made 6 movies,  served in Congress, and was a terrific, humble man. He played himself in the movie and it is very inspiring.  I have a poster of the move, signed by Bob, hanging in my den. BTW -- he had great respect for wrestlers and really enjoyed meeting Olympic champions Glen Brand, Bill Smith, Dan Gable, Ed Banach and Randy Lewis in Newton.

l

8 minutes ago, iwrite said:

Witwhiz -- great pick. I knew Bob Mathias personally and in 2001 brought him to the wrestling museum in Newton, Iowa, for our celebrity golf event. Imagine winning the Olympic decathlon title at age 17, then repeating 4 years later. Bob was also a standout football player at Stanford,  made 6 movies,  served in Congress, and was a terrific, humble man. He played himself in the movie and it is very inspiring.  I have a poster of the move, signed by Bob, hanging in my den. BTW -- he had great respect for wrestlers and really enjoyed meeting Olympic champions Glen Brand, Bill Smith, Dan Gable, Ed Banach and Randy Lewis in Newton.

l

It's unfathomable, inconceivable to win any major decathlon at that age. Not just the athleticism, but the disparate skills would seem to take years to master.

NJDan -- you are right on the mark! In my book "A Journey: Reflections on 50 Years of Writing, Wrestling, Weightlifting and Heroes", I devote several pages to the times I spent with Bob. Here is a small part of the story: "He shocked the entire world by winning the decathlon at the age of 17. I  consider that the single most amazing performance in all of sports history. How can it be possible for a 17-year-old to win the most demanding all-around athletic competition devised by man when he barely knew the rules? Mathias had only trained for a couple of months after his  coach at Tulare High School in California first told him about the event. The decathlon is the supreme test of a person's overall athletic ability, proven in ten very diverse events, split over two days. He won a second gold medal at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, shattering the world record by 912 points -- and making Bob the first athlete to ever win an Olympic gold medal and play in the Rose Bowl the same year!" 

It's a  little-known fact that Bob was planning on going for gold again in 1956, but the AAU ruled him ineligible because  he had starred as himself in "The Bob Mathias Story", saying that took away his amateur status.

Another brief story -- Glen Brand,  Olympic wrestling champion in 1948, told me that he was in the stands when Bob won in London that year and he regarded Bob as the greatest athlete he had ever seen!

For various reasons, here are some of my favorites:

• Archery:  The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Auto Racing:   Faster Pu$$ycat, Kill Kill
  • Baseball:  Major League
  • Basketball:  Hoosiers
  • Billiards:  The Hustler
  • Bodybuilding:  Pumping Iron
  • Bowling:  The Big Lebowski
  • Boxing:  Milllion Dollar Baby
  • Chariot Racing:  Ben Hur
  • Cheerleading:  Debbie Does Dallas
  • Fishing:  To Have and Have Not
  • Flying:  the Blue Max
  • Football:  North Dallas Forty
  • Golf:  Caddyshack
  • Gymnastics:  Stick It
  • Horse Racing:  A Day at the Races
  • Hunting:  The Deer Hunter
  • Martial Arts:  Enter the Dragon
  • Motorcycle Racing:  Little Fauss and Big Halsy
  • Mountain Climbing:  Everest
  • Poker:  The Cincinnati Kid
  • Rodeo:  J.W. Coop
  • Roller Derby:  Kansas City Bomber
  • Sailing:  Mutiny on the Bounty
  • Shooting:  Tombstone
  • Skiing:  Downhill Racer
  • Sword Fighting:  Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo  
  • Surfing: The Endless Summer
  • Table Tennis:  Forrest Gump
  • Track and Field:  Chariots of Fire
  • Tennis:  Strangers on a Train
  • Wrestling:  Vision Quest
Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

On 5/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, iwrite said:

NJDan -- you are right on the mark! In my book "A Journey: Reflections on 50 Years of Writing, Wrestling, Weightlifting and Heroes", I devote several pages to the times I spent with Bob. Here is a small part of the story: "He shocked the entire world by winning the decathlon at the age of 17. I  consider that the single most amazing performance in all of sports history. How can it be possible for a 17-year-old to win the most demanding all-around athletic competition devised by man when he barely knew the rules? Mathias had only trained for a couple of months after his  coach at Tulare High School in California first told him about the event. The decathlon is the supreme test of a person's overall athletic ability, proven in ten very diverse events, split over two days. He won a second gold medal at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, shattering the world record by 912 points -- and making Bob the first athlete to ever win an Olympic gold medal and play in the Rose Bowl the same year!" 

It's a  little-known fact that Bob was planning on going for gold again in 1956, but the AAU ruled him ineligible because  he had starred as himself in "The Bob Mathias Story", saying that took away his amateur status.

Another brief story -- Glen Brand,  Olympic wrestling champion in 1948, told me that he was in the stands when Bob won in London that year and he regarded Bob as the greatest athlete he had ever seen!

That movie's hard to find but I recently was able to get a copy from an off the wall internet site. Always loved the track and field events in the Olympics.  Bud Greenspan put together some terrific stuff for tv on them.  Didn't know about his plans for '56.  In the movie, he swears that his first will be his last - until a bunch of neighborhood kids convince him to change his mind.  In the movie he seemed like a very modest, low key guy.  Not at all like the screaming, muscle flexing blowhards who are so common in sports in recent times.