Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

Why I am against offering another season

There are some that think the answer is just to give everyone another season.  Actually, as a Buckeye fan, this probably would favor my team to some extent although it still would not defeat Iowa or Penn St.  Giving Moore and Pletcher another year with the new guys would be interesting.  

But as a Buckeye fan, is there a top-recruit waiting for Moore or Pletcher to leave that will go to the transfer portal because they won't start next year?  I would rather have 4 years of a new recruit than 1 more year of Moore or Pletcher.  Perhaps Ohio State has no one at those weights.  I don't know.  

But I am already tired of how many years wrestlers get.  I mean, how many has Cassar gotten? Or Shak?  I think 6 years is way too many.  I think 4 years is enough, with 1 redshirt available.  That is my personal opinion.  I semi-agree with an olympic redshirt. I can live with it.  So that is 6 years already!  But only the 4 seasons of activity. 

My heart really goes out to Moore.  That's one reason I fight for a postponed tournament.  Same with Lugo. But I don't think he or anyone should get another year.  It's not fair to those beneath them.  It clogs the system up.  Moore got to wrestle the entire year except for the championship.  Personally, I think the only person more a favorite to win was Spencer.  

Giving another year is not fair to those in the future (the redshirts and backups now) and it's not fair for the past.  Stieber won 4 big tens and 4 titles.  In 4 years.  A guy like Rivera, who clearly is not as good as Stieber, should not have more Big 10's.  Cenzo lost each Big 10 fair and square.  He deserves another chance?  If some of these wrestlers had 5 years, their records will be inflated.  We will look at guys like Rivera, possibly the Bull, and others as better than they were.  I don't think someone should over 5 years should amass more victories than Bo did over 4.  Bo has been one of the best talents I have ever seen.  And the thought of the record books having guys with more wins, or bonus victories, because they got another year stinks in my opinion.  

The only way it would be fair is if all the qualifiers were given one more wrestling championship. Not season.  And it's inconceivable that these guys are sidelined the whole year and wrestle at championships next year.  That is why a tournament in the summer is the best solution.  But this thread is not about that. 

Besides, how many seniors have jobs lined up?  The very best are committed to wrestling.   But if we are talking about all the qualifers getting another year, not all would be able to take it. 

I can't imagine being a career student and staying in college for 6 or 7 years.  I think coaches already play with the rules too much (I am looking at Cael) as far as getting medical years and greyshirts in order to maximize team.  I think wrestling has already gone too far.  I think giving each qualifer another year of eligbility would only make system worse. 

Some will say that Lee deserves to be 4 time champion.  You should not make a rule for 1 person.  Everyone that lived through it know that Lee would have most likely won this year.  We can't start making special rules for 1 person.  Secondly, Lee should not have another season granted unless you wiped alway his accomplishments this season.  See my argument for not having 5 active years.  

39 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

I agree. I'm not in favor of another year eligibility.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not in favor as well.

It does clog the system, it does create a scholarship nightmare and it hurts higher tuition schools and schools that require you graduate in 4.5 years.

From a fan perspective, the transfer portal would be extremely interesting and next year's NCAA'S would be insane.

1 hour ago, Boompa said:

The more I think about it, the more I'm not in favor as well.

It does clog the system, it does create a scholarship nightmare and it hurts higher tuition schools and schools that require you graduate in 4.5 years.

From a fan perspective, the transfer portal would be extremely interesting and next year's NCAA'S would be insane.

Agree on all points.  And are some of my top points.  

Another top 3 reason, for me, is that I really don’t care to see ANOTHER 2019-20 season.  When you think of it, it’s a “re-do.”  

Plus, the academies CAN’T and probably some ivy leagues wouldn’t allow it.   

If the NCAA allows it, they should also allow them to be “part time” students requiring only 3 credit hours.  

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You start with 4 paragraphs about you and what you want.

You end with a paragraph about not making rules for one person.

5 hours ago, Katie said:

Didn’t read, but I agree with the idea in the thread title. 

Maybe you should read what I write?  I read what you write when I click on a thread, even if I disagree with part of it. 

I don’t feel bad for redshirts in this process. If you are not good enough to beat out whomever,  you don’t deserve the spot. Not wanting to compete for your spot is weak. 
As for scholarships, if you want to return and you can’t afford to, too bad. It’s another chance you are given. If you can’t make it work, shame on you. 
We all have choices to make. Some are easy, some are not. Nothing should be given to you without truths and consequences. It’s life. And maybe this will be the first decision of that kind fir many of these athletes. But at least they will have the choice to make fir themselves. 

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You start with 4 paragraphs about you and what you want.

You end with a paragraph about not making rules for one person.

I state what I want based on what I believe is best for college wrestling.  I"m not claiming to be right.  And they are short paragraphs. 

1 minute ago, gobraves101905 said:

I don’t feel bad for redshirts in this process. If you are not good enough to beat out whomever,  you don’t deserve the spot. Not wanting to compete for your spot is weak. 
As for scholarships, if you want to return and you can’t afford to, too bad. It’s another chance you are given. If you can’t make it work, shame on you. 
We all have choices to make. Some are easy, some are not. Nothing should be given to you without truths and consequences. It’s life. And maybe this will be the first decision of that kind fir many of these athletes. But at least they will have the choice to make fir themselves. 

I disagree but thanks for your post.  I wonder how many of those eligible would actually come back. 

1 minute ago, shieldofpistis said:

I disagree but thanks for your post.  I wonder how many of those eligible would actually come back. 

I believe a lot would come back.  Anyone who thinks they had a shot at a title, most who felt they could have been an all american, and nearly all seniors that had a shot would come back in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

I think the number of people who would not come back would blow people’s minds. 
Be honest though, who doesn’t want to see Tanner Hall wrestle in college until he is in his 30’s. 

4 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

I think the number of people who would not come back would blow people’s minds. 
Be honest though, who doesn’t want to see Tanner Hall wrestle in college until he is in his 30’s. 

Do you know anyone specifically that would not?  I know many who would.

Offering another year of eligibility will conflict with scholarship money and incoming freshman’s. I’m all for another 2 years of entertainment, but I think they should call it how it is based on the rankings and coaches poll. It’s truly unfortunate and it sucks, but it’s the best they can do with not letting an entire year go to waste and to be cautious against the corona virus. Reward Iowa as national champs and give ranks 1-8 of all weight classes all American. 

Face it. The NCAA could care less about cutting wrestling any kind of break or feeling sorry for all the mat.comers. Major sports are OUT. Wrestling is so minor it isn't even mentioned on national news. The 1980 olympic team didn't die of heart attacks. Rasslin aint gonna get jack s**t from the NCAA. Focus on olympics, they may have a better chance even though a vaccine is a year away. See you in 2021 or maybe even '22. These are uncertain times for making plans...the hysteria!.

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

What if they were given an exception?

That hypothetical would never happen.  Congress would have to budget for an additional year to for academy athletes to be full time students another year.   Taxpayer money so someone can play sports is not a good way to get re-elected.  

Ivies have a pact to not allow 5th years or graduate degrees in sports.  

34 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Maybe you should read what I write?  I read what you write when I click on a thread, even if I disagree with part of it. 

Dont lump me in with Katie. I cant think of a worse response than to state an opinion about a post right after you state not having read the post.

2 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

That hypothetical would never happen.  Congress would have to budget for an additional year to for academy athletes to be full time students another year.   Taxpayer money so someone can play sports is not a good way to get re-elected.  

Ivies have a pact to not allow 5th years or graduate degrees in sports.  

What if they just delayed their 5 year commitment by one year and only wrestled, not full schooling?

38 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Nothing personal. Just a busy day and a long post. 

4 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

Another top 3 reason, for me, is that I really don’t care to see ANOTHER 2019-20 season.  When you think of it, it’s a “re-do.”  

Disagree.  A lot of guys wouldn’t come back anyway, then throw in guys coming off redshirts and incoming freshmen and it’d be a lot different IMO.

133 alone could be insane if Gross and Tucker come back (I do think the Ivy rule should be changed, although doubt Tucker would if he has an engineering job).  Sounds like Rivera may be going 141 though and who knows what’s happening with Suriano.

Granting the eligibility would reduce parity in our sport which is already In a rich get richer phase because of how the transfer portal has played out.

the further reduction would be 2 fold.

1-the qualifiers given the option have a direct correlation between potential NCAA points and the quality of their teams.  The maximum benefit goes to teams 1-5, next is 6-10 and so on.  If you limit it to seniors then an element of randomness is introduced.  For example, Ohio state and PSU would benefit more than Iowa.  If it is all qualifiers then the best teams get more than good teams, good teams get more than decent teams, decent teams more than crappy ones, etc.  the only exception would be those teams that used Olympic redshirts.

2-If some % of wrestlers chose to exercise the option those % would likely skew higher for the top level of wrestlers as their priorities in life center around the sport more than others.  Wrestlers fighting to be 1 time AA may not want to do the 6th versus one that may be going for high AA and title contention bridging to a life in wrestling through coaching, RTC stipends, etc.

granting the extra year further kills parity and let’s face it we really don’t have much.