Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

Why I am against offering another season

In the grand scheme, titles and accolades mean so little and people have their lives to move on to.  It sucks, but this falls under sh*t happens and extraordinary circumstances.  We will still be telling stories about this years from now.

I am not in favor of another year; life is tough but if they did this is how I think it should be done. 

You missed 3 days of wrestling so that is what you get back.    If you were a 2020 qualifier, you get to wrestle the NCAA Championships the year after you have graduated.  Your seeding in the tournament would go off of what you did in 2020 (this would have to be archived).   The brackets will be expanded for those weights affected to accommodate the extra wrestlers each year.  God knows we have tons of time for an extra few rounds. 

You have to be enrolled in school at your own expense, you will be permitted to work out with the team and you can enter any open tournament at your own expanse (travel, lodging etc.). 

So this will effect the national tournament for 5 years most likely and every wrestler that qualified gets what they lost back.  Little impact on anything else.  

On 3/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, wnywrestling said:

I wonder if they could just do the same tournament (maybe condense in to 2 days) in September/November (or whenever things are back to normal).

They could. I think August would be better though. Really it needs to happen before next season.  It can happen.  But there needs to be desire.

The first thing we would need to find out is how many of the athletes would be interested in going to an unsanctioned tournament right at the beginning of the school year, just prior to when the real season would be starting.  Are we talking about the top 8 seeds or something like that still, or are we talking about all 33 that qualified?

21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The first thing we would need to find out is how many of the athletes would be interested in going to an unsanctioned tournament right at the beginning of the school year, just prior to when the real season would be starting.  Are we talking about the top 8 seeds or something like that still, or are we talking about all 33 that qualified?

I don't think the wrestlers would be the question.  I would seriously doubt that 75% of the wrestlers who had a chance wouldn't go for it.  There is a much bigger issue that I don't think anyone has mentioned. Maybe I'll start a thread about that later today or tomorrow.been really busy 

1 minute ago, shieldofpistis said:

I don't think the wrestlers would be the question.  I would seriously doubt that 75% of the wrestlers who had a chance wouldn't go for it.  There is a much bigger issue that I don't think anyone has mentioned. Maybe I'll start a thread about that later today or tomorrow.been really busy 

Yes this is what we need, I'll be up early tommorow coffee brewed, maybe a pastry in hand, ready for new reading and ideas.  :)

12 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

My point being if I am going to put on and organize a tournament on the fly like this, "think" cannot be a part of the equation.  So first step would be a poll initiated to the schools who would have been represented (depending on where we limit it, top 8, all 33, or somewhere in between) and get a commitment from them.  From there, for each one that declines (I personally believe at that point, we would have more decline than accept, being that this is an unsanctioned tournament and doesn't go on any kind of official record, but that's a debate for another day), but for each one that declines, are we going to go down the list until we have a full bracket?  Or are we doing by initial invitation only and those who decline, its just a first round bye?

If your views on the virus are correct it's not something we could do toll Sept.  If my views are correct I think summer would be best.  You are asking for a specific plan right now that I cant give you because so much depends on virus.

I can just be general.  I say start with top 4 then 8 then 12 with byes and see where we are at. 

53 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

If your views on the virus are correct it's not something we could do toll Sept.  If my views are correct I think summer would be best.  You are asking for a specific plan right now that I cant give you because so much depends on virus.

I can just be general.  I say start with top 4 then 8 then 12 with byes and see where we are at. 

Well. That’s certainly a change in tune. A couple days ago this was going to be easy, and I got all exited. 

Okay.  You go through the top four seeds at each weight. I’ll draft a letter that we can send out to each of the coaches that would have athletes. We’ll see what kind of number we got. Let me know when you have that list ready. 

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Well. That’s certainly a change in tune. A couple days ago this was going to be easy, and I got all exited. 

Okay.  You go through the top four seeds at each weight. I’ll draft a letter that we can send out to each of the coaches that would have athletes. We’ll see what kind of number we got. Let me know when you have that list ready. 

Why do you want me specifically to do it when half the threads about a tournament aren't even created by me?

Yes, certain aspects would be easy.  Certain aspects would be difficult.  There would have to be a ton of flexibility built into system.  Why would you send a letter? You plan on bankrolling this tournament?

32 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I do change ideas because I listen to people with open ears and if I am wrong I am willing to adapt.  Shouldn't that be applauded instead of double downing on something which others have shown to be false?

8 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Why do you want me specifically to do it when half the threads about a tournament aren't even created by me?

Yes, certain aspects would be easy.  Certain aspects would be difficult.  There would have to be a ton of flexibility built into system.  Why would you send a letter? You plan on bankrolling this tournament?

I was talking to you specifically to do it because you have been pushing the hardest for it and have expressed your desire to see it happen and wish others shared in that passion, so I just figured you’d be more than happy to be involved to get something like that going?

I wish I could bankroll the tournament, unfortunately my financial position is such that....there no way in hell I can do that. But I like your idea of a private investor, and since no governing body in their right mind would sanction this event, that is by far is our best option. So before I got to any private investor to pitch this tournament, one of the many things I need to know, and the most important, is to know exactly who we are talking about here and where they fit into realm of elite college wrestlers. Hence, the letter. 

Edited by Lurker

Sorry if this has already been posted but Jon Rothstein from CBS Sports is hearing that the NCAA probably won't grant additional eligibility to winter sports athletes, but may do so for spring sports. No surprise there, I guess.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Sorry if this has already been posted but Jon Rothstein from CBS Sports is hearing that the NCAA probably won't grant additional eligibility to winter sports athletes, but may do so for spring sports. No surprise there, I guess.

In the grand scheme that probably is for best