Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

Cincinnati Bearcats.

I know many are tired of me already today.  This is my last thread for the day.  It will be on a different topic because I know some are tired of what I have been saying.  Let me bring up new topic. 

I am from Cincinnati, Ohio.  Ohio is one of the richest wrestling lands in the state, behind only a few.  Why doesn't the University of Cincinnati have a wrestling team? Wrestling is not the biggest sport in Cincinnati (it is a baseball and football city), but make no mistake that high school wrestling is popular.  I think the Bearcats could easily fund a team.  I don't even think they would have to offer many scholarships.  

Why does the University of Cincinnati not have a wrestling team?

I thought Cincy was also a big basketball city bc of Bob Huggins and Sean Miller/Chris Mack and due to the city's proximity to L'ville and Lexington.

Which D1 wrestlers are from the Cincy area? Honest question, I'm really not familiar with OH wrestling outside of what ppl talk about here.

42 minutes ago, pamela said:

I thought Cincy was also a big basketball city bc of Bob Huggins and Sean Miller/Chris Mack and due to the city's proximity to L'ville and Lexington.

Which D1 wrestlers are from the Cincy area? Honest question, I'm really not familiar with OH wrestling outside of what ppl talk about here.

I was a potential one.  I was offered to wrestle at Miami of Ohio.  My calling was not to go that route, however.  Hamilton County is a big area.  I'm not certain which wrestlers come from where.  I know many high caliber Hamilton County wrestlers play football instead.  

I don't know the answer to your question.  But Cincinnati is in the corner that borders Indiana and not far from Ill.  University of Cincinnati is a pretty good school. 

I am from Ohio and will admit that, when I think of what other Ohio Division 1 universities should offer wrestling that do not,  the University of Cincinnati is not one of them because I think of the school and, really, the entire city as so into basketball.   Also, Miami University and the University of Dayton, both of which are very close, had programs that were dropped in the 90s, and I think of one of them as a candidate for reinstatement (not likely) before UC.  Miami was pretty good and has a decent wrestling alumni base, but I have never heard that they have been remotely close to reinstatement.

UC is a good, very large school with a well funded athletic department, so I can see why one might think they are good candidate for a program.  Would be great, but I do not see it happening.  The fact that 4 public universities in the state already have programs and only one of them has been good in the last few years probably doesn't help either.

Also, UC's conference does not offer wrestling.  They would have to join the MAC for that sport only. Or join the Big 12, which I think they want to get into for all sports at some point.

Edited by Broomstick

53 minutes ago, pamela said:

You do make a point about basketball.  Cincinnati and Xavier fans don't like each other though.  Huggins hasn't been in Cincy for years....either has Miller.  Oscar Robertson did play for Cincinnati and he is one of greatest.  I think I would change what I said and define Cincinnati as an all-around sports town that doesn't specialize in one sport.  I do think the Cincinnati Reds have the heart beat of the city though. 

2 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I know many are tired of me already today.  This is my last thread for the day.  It will be on a different topic because I know some are tired of what I have been saying.  Let me bring up new topic. 

I am from Cincinnati, Ohio.  Ohio is one of the richest wrestling lands in the state, behind only a few.  Why doesn't the University of Cincinnati have a wrestling team? Wrestling is not the biggest sport in Cincinnati (it is a baseball and football city), but make no mistake that high school wrestling is popular.  I think the Bearcats could easily fund a team.  I don't even think they would have to offer many scholarships.  

Why does the University of Cincinnati not have a wrestling team?

Too close to Kentucky?

2 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I was a potential one.  I was offered to wrestle at Miami of Ohio.  My calling was not to go that route, however.  Hamilton County is a big area.  I'm not certain which wrestlers come from where.  I know many high caliber Hamilton County wrestlers play football instead.  

I don't know the answer to your question.  But Cincinnati is in the corner that borders Indiana and not far from Ill.  University of Cincinnati is a pretty good school. 

What was your calling?

2 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

LaSalle HS in Cincy and a few years back Moeller HS, are top programs nationally.

I think Cincy would be a good candidate. 

although Bellarmine (Louisville (90min) just upgraded their program to DI

Agreed here.  LaSalle has had it's issues this season.  I will be curious to see what becomes of them next season.  Moeller had a top program for a couple years and Mason had some good wrestlers.   Cincy is a pretty heavy soccer city as well...

5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

You can’t wrestle and be a minister?  Or did you go to another school that didn’t have wrestling?

I went to a better school for theology.. For bachelor went to Georgetown College in ky then Baylor for master's. 

What do you do?

Edited by shieldofpistis

The Greatest(?) upset in NCAA history was done by a Cincinnati Bearcat. 1972 Howard Fox defeated defending champ Yoshiro Fujita, of OkSU. Fujita is famous for pushing his teammates, the Keller twins up a weight, and supposedly being one of two guys with a victory over Uetake(I am not sure about that, but read it somewhere. I am guessing they dropped their program around 1981, OK Fox won a < 100 second defailt

Edited by RichB

Don't forget about Toledo! They had a program that was dropped in 1994. Toledo had Greg Wojciechowski (later known as the Great Wojo) that was the #1seed at the 1972 NCAA Championships. Unfortunately he lost to a 412 pound Chris Taylor from Iowa State that was the #3 seed. Toledo had several great wrestlers in the time that they fielded a school supported team. 

Back in those times there were several great wrestlers that were the "#2 guy" on the bigger stages. A couple of Heavies that fell into that category were Gary Barber from Toledo U & Mike McCready from Northern Iowa.