Jump to content
Billyhoyle

Really bad press for NCWA

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Surprised colleges would allow them to do that if they were closed (or maybe they didn’t)

Some didn't go or turned around but I suspect that a lot hadn't declared their stati yet. And schools have a little less control over their clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Surprised colleges would allow them to do that if they were closed (or maybe they didn’t)

It's a club event so there is only loose collegiate affiliation.

The Liberty coach takes the cake though, I'm glad he's a foremost expert on the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCWA has a lot of club teams, but is not entirely club teams. I wrestled for tOSU’s club team after college when I was in vet school. We were a club team, but there were teams in our conference that were their school’s “varsity” team (for lack of a better word) and awarded aid and scholarships to their athletes. My impression is that NCWA was created to keep programs alive that had been cut due to title 9, as well as provide additional opportunities for wrestling and leadership.  With that said while the caliber is not near NCAA wrestling there are athletes and institutions working hard to support the sport. The decision to not cancel the tournament makes me sad, but with how I remember it being structured there were probably a lot of teams and people en route mid last week.

Edited by Animal197
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of these club teams are self-funded and self-organized.  The wrestlers have a lot of influence on club decisions.  You can bet that the NCAA wrestlers would have wrestled if given the opportunity.  The senior USA FF wrestlers certainly did -- are they idiots too?

Light me up!  One cannot deny there is an overreaction here.  You might be paranoid if you have 5x your normal amount of toilet paper.  You might be paranoid if you refuse to leave your house.  You might be a hypocrite if you attended religious services Sunday.  You might be an idiot if you paid $150 for a paper face mask.  The news media’s coronavirus coverage is irresponsible and causing excessive panic.  It needs to stop.  What makes this reaction weird is that it is a different response than how the country responds to other problems with a higher risk/kill rate.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jross said:

Many of these club teams are self-funded and self-organized.  The wrestlers have a lot of influence on club decisions.  You can bet that the NCAA wrestlers would have wrestled if given the opportunity.  The senior USA FF wrestlers certainly did -- are they idiots too?

Light me up!  One cannot deny there is an overreaction here.  You might be paranoid if you have 5x your normal amount of toilet paper.  You might be paranoid if you refuse to leave your house.  You might be a hypocrite if you attended religious services Sunday.  You might be an idiot if you paid $150 for a paper face mask.  The news media’s coronavirus coverage is irresponsible and causing excessive panic.  It needs to stop.  What makes this reaction weird is that it is a different response than how the country responds to other problems with a higher risk/kill rate.  

 

well put

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobDole said:

It's a club event so there is only loose collegiate affiliation.

The Liberty coach takes the cake though, I'm glad he's a foremost expert on the issue. 

I live near Liberty U.  They're the only college in the area still holding classes and they haven't shut their K-12 school either.  Thomas Road Baptist Church held services yesterday.  Jerry Jr. was on Fox and Friends last Friday telling how this is all a Democratic/Chinese/Korean plot to make Trump look bad.  So that's what you're dealing with.

Jerry Jr. is also at the forefront of the movement to get the southwestern part of Virginia to secede from VA and become part of West Virginia, because their current politics are more friendly to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jross said:

Many of these club teams are self-funded and self-organized.  The wrestlers have a lot of influence on club decisions.  You can bet that the NCAA wrestlers would have wrestled if given the opportunity.  The senior USA FF wrestlers certainly did -- are they idiots too?

Light me up!  One cannot deny there is an overreaction here.  You might be paranoid if you have 5x your normal amount of toilet paper.  You might be paranoid if you refuse to leave your house.  You might be a hypocrite if you attended religious services Sunday.  You might be an idiot if you paid $150 for a paper face mask.  The news media’s coronavirus coverage is irresponsible and causing excessive panic.  It needs to stop.  What makes this reaction weird is that it is a different response than how the country responds to other problems with a higher risk/kill rate.  

 

Amazing how many experts on epidemiology we have in the wrestling world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jross said:

What makes this reaction weird is that it is a different response than how the country responds to other problems with a higher risk/kill rate.  

 

What would those be, exactly?  We're looking at a disease that could infect 25% of the population if we ignored it, and have a 2-3% kill rate for those who contract it.  That's one to two million dead.  What else has that sort of impact that we ignore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jross said:

The news media’s coronavirus coverage is irresponsible and causing excessive panic.  It needs to stop.  What makes this reaction weird is that it is a different response than how the country responds to other problems with a higher risk/kill rate.  

 

It wont. The new media thrives off of irresponsible and excessive panic. That's how they make their money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Amazing how many experts on epidemiology we have in the wrestling world.

I didn't know Bob Dole was a democrat.  https://www.vox.com/2020/3/15/21180506/coronavirus-poll-democrats-republicans-trump

Doctors say the panic is a media driven problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people need to read this entire thread to get an idea of where we are headed in America. Then again, the people that actually need to read this thread are the same people that can’t be reasoned with because they know better than everyone else. Also, Dr. Drew is not reputable at all anymore. His entire TV career is full of controversy and things he says that are completely false. At this point taking medical advice from him is like taking get rich quick advice from Bernie Madoff. 

Edited by goheels1812

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, what an article. There is absolutely nothing political about this. Ignorance maybe.

Castro, who brought 19 athletes to the event, said he believes part of the overreaction is related to ire directed at President Donald Trump. Castro said he concurred with his school president, Jerry Falwell Jr., who argued on Fox News earlier in the day that the coronavirus was being used by Democrats to impeach the president.

“Call me a conspiratorist or whatever,” Castro said. “Is that to minimize what’s going on? Absolutely not. But you cannot view this from a prism without being political to some degree. It’s too obvious.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

A lot of people need to read this entire thread to get an idea of where we are headed in America. Then again, the people that actually need to read this thread are the same people that can’t be reasoned with because they know better than everyone else. Also, Dr. Drew is not reputable at all anymore. His entire TV career is full of controversy and things he says that are completely false. At this point taking medical advice from him is like taking get rich quick advice from Bernie Madoff. 

What about the numerous interviews with people in America who had it that are saying that it was less serious than the flu and they recovered fine? 

What about the numerous doctors who have said it's overblown? 

Or do you fall into the same category of people who can't be reasoned with from the other side? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jross said:

You get your medical advice from Dr. Drew? When you need a second opinion do you go to Dr. Phil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...