MatJunkie

Stop sending Zain as our rep

Zain is a heck of a wrestler, but his style does not translate to international success.  He is very good domestically, but it is time to stop sending him as a rep for Team USA.  Send Yianni or JO.

I'm rooting for Oliver, but I thought Zain looked pretty good yesterday. He wrestles kind of open and loose, which is why he got caught, but his shots looked crisp and he scrambled pretty well. Looked strong and explosive. As @spladle08 mentioned in another thread, Zain would have won that match 9/10 times.

Speaking of JO, I am so nervous for him rn. He's had some tough setbacks in his post-college wrestling career, and if it would be heartbreaking if the Olympics are canceled or the weight not qualified.

Just now, pamela said:

I'm rooting for Oliver, but I thought Zain looked pretty good yesterday. He wrestles kind of open and loose, which is why he got caught, but his shots looked crisp and he scrambled pretty well. Looked strong and explosive. As @spladle08 mentioned in another thread, Zain would have won that match 9/10 times.

Speaking of JO, I am so nervous for him rn. He's had some tough setbacks in his post-college wrestling career, and if it would be heartbreaking if the Olympics are canceled or the weight not qualified.

I'm not sure anyone has ever said Zain wrestles open and loose.

47 minutes ago, MatJunkie said:

Zain is a heck of a wrestler, but his style does not translate to international success.  He is very good domestically, but it is time to stop sending him as a rep for Team USA.  Send Yianni or JO.

Do you really want USAW picking our reps?

That creates too much of an opportunity for favoritism, not to mention corruption, to suborn the process, IMO, to be worth any potentially better results.

2 minutes ago, MatJunkie said:

I'm not sure anyone has ever said Zain wrestles open and loose.

By that I mean he's less careful about picking his attacks and wins on pace and brutal scrambling, which is a strength. Patience is not one of his virtues. Look at how he got pinned attempting a leglace yesterday, he tried to turn it before having it cinched.

The board was clamoring the same way when Metcalf was our rep and not getting it done. I’m guessing the Iowa haters wanted him out and the Iowa lovers said the spot is his - let him get it done.  And now the spotlight is on Zain. 

Did someone say that the last chance is after OTT?  Guess no one knows.  But hoping that this IS the case.  Let our selected Olympic rep go to the last chance.  All on that person at that point.

6 minutes ago, nom said:

The board was clamoring the same way when Metcalf was our rep and not getting it done. I’m guessing the Iowa haters wanted him out and the Iowa lovers said the spot is his - let him get it done.  And now the spotlight is on Zain. 

Did someone say that the last chance is after OTT?  Guess no one knows.  But hoping that this IS the case.  Let our selected Olympic rep go to the last chance.  All on that person at that point.

That's how it was in 2016.  J'den won OTT's, then won the LCQ.

OTT and last chance are both indefinitely postponed. Previously they were back to back but there *may* be a chance to give a small break between the events, though I doubt it will be much. 

Tinfoil hat prediction

1. Covid-19 testing kits are readily available to general public with no shortages
  2. Olympic date announced
  3. Last Chance date announced
  4. OTT date announced with as much buffer between OTT and Last Chance as possible.
  5. OTT competitors get tested 1 week-ish prior to OTT
  6. OTT winners go to Last Chance with a 3 week break between competitions.

There may be, literally, 1-2 weeks between Last Chance and kickoff of Olympics which wrestling is currently scheduled at the end of the 2 week event. This is obviously pending Olympics carrying on as scheduled which is a huge maybe to say the least.

It will be good to see Oliver, zain and Yianni at the last chance.  

A nation can only enter one wrestler per weight class. This is the same tourney that J’den and Gorilla qualified their respective weights in 2016.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

This is the same tourney that J’den and Gorilla qualified their respective weights in 2016.

Sort of. The last couple cycles, there have been two levels of world qualifiers and 19 total participants per weight at the Olympics. The first one used to qualify 3 per weight (J'Den qualified through that one) and the second qualified 2 (Molinaro got to the alternate spot that ended up qualifying him after drug tests through this one). This time, participants have been reduced to 16 at the Olympics, so we only get the final qualifier with 2 qualifying.